PDA

View Full Version : Chick's & Dutch's

BigAL
02-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Make'n two spatchcock chicks and I also took out the keel bone. Smoke'n w/hickory at about 280. Didn't have time to brine so I marinated in italian dressing for bout 2 hrs, then added some McCormick poultry seasoning to the skin and under/meat side.

Used the DHD(dang hot disc) to saute the bacon, pepper, and onion for Dutch's beans. Used a red pepper and sweet onion, and 1# bacon. Crushed pineapple, ketchup, bbq sauce, worchest, garlic, and a couple other things near by.

W/practice I am figuring out this DHD. Later I'll be doing some fajitas on them, pics on that too.

More pics to come.

Nothing special, but wanted to show that I did do it.:msn-wink:

Buzzards Roost
02-21-2009, 06:31 PM
looks great, but the chickens look a little knox kneed to me.:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Looks great Jase. Want a couple tips on the chix?

BigAL
02-21-2009, 06:43 PM
few more pix

BigAL
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Looks great Jase. Want a couple tips on the chix?

I'll never say no to advise. Lets have it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some tips.

thanks tim:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Squawk pretty bird!

Buzzards Roost
02-21-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll never say no to advise. Lets have it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like some tips.

thanks tim:thumbs up:
Lets have it!! always looking for tips.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I was going to suggest cooking over 300, but I can see tyhat you must have brought the temps up by looking at the skin. Second,one of the main reasons to butterfly a bird is so that you can press it. Put a foil wrapped brick on each one if you don't have a meat press. Pressing ther meat makes it more dense and thus moister. It also keeps the bird flat so that the skin all crisps evenly.

Buzzards Roost
02-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Cool I'll be doin the brick thing, already cook it over 300. thanks.

Chargrilled
02-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I was going to suggest cooking over 300, but I can see tyhat you must have brought the temps up by looking at the skin. Second,one of the main reasons to butterfly a bird is so that you can press it. Put a foil wrapped brick on each one if you don't have a meat press. Pressing ther meat makes it more dense and thus moister. It also keeps the bird flat so that the skin all crisps evenly.

was lookin for the bricks:whathesaid:

BYBBQ
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Everything looks real good and tasty.:thumbs up:

Jake
02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
again i learn something :thumbs up: thanks

BigAL
02-22-2009, 07:27 AM

I did get the temps up higher than normal, and it came out good. Best skin I've ever had, and it was about right........didn't just crumble away. Had a bite, but wouldn't pull more skin off w/each bite.....didn't explain very good, but you get the idea.

I took the keel bone out this time and that helped lay it more flat. I'll probably do that from now on as it was easy.

How long do you leave the brick on? By covering part of the bird w/the brick, will that hurt smoke penetration and make that part of the skin more rubbery?

You had told me before to up the temps and cook it quicker and it will be as moist as brine'n. (yep, I was listen'n.....just wasn't do'n :msn-wink:) Your right once again. I do like the flavor the brine adds, but it was just as juicy and about as much smoke flavor.......close enough that I liked it.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Start skin side down and let it get a good dose of crisp with bricks on top, flip it a little short of halfwya if you want more smoke, then flip it back for just a bit before youtake it off, just to crisp the skin, or for that matter, at that point you could even just take the brick off.

A good flat surface river rock works well without the foil too if you wash it every time.