PDA

View Full Version : Crawdad Burgers

Abelman
02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I've been pretty busy with painting the house so I have been away from the smoker for awhile. But, we had a pound of crawfish tails in the freezer and we started to think what else we could do with them that was fast and simple. So, I took a recipe for shrimp burgers, modified it a bit as well as using chopped crawfish.

Apart for m the spices, I added some shredded cabbage, blue cheese dressing, and some sriracha chili sauce. They were very good I must admit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/prep-11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/Done-9.jpg

Short One
02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Would have never thought of using them that way. Looks tasty. Good job.

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Every bit of that sounds great! I love the idea of the cabbage on there. That srarachi is sure good stuff too, huh?

Well done, Abelman!

BYBBQ
02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Looks real good.:thumbs up: I'll take two please.:drooling::drooling:

Abelman
02-15-2009, 01:36 PM
That srarachi is sure good stuff too, huh?

I love that stuff and anything else with heat. I have 3 bottles just in case we run out, LOL.

Thanks all for the compliments.

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 01:50 PM
I love that stuff and anything else with heat. I have 3 bottles just in case we run out, LOL.

Thanks all for the compliments.

You'd really like this stuff...
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0817.jpg

A friend of mine brought it back for me from Cozumel last week. It's nice and warm ( D@ !) and the flavor is fantastic. I've googled it to try to find it locally (or ANYwhere online) but I can't find anything.

My son is going on a cruise in May and I've ask him to bring a case of it back.

Buzzards Roost
02-15-2009, 02:20 PM
You know I think I'm gonna have to take a break for this site. You guys are killing me with all this good lookin stuff,..... or not, maybe I'm addicted.D@

Abelman
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Let me know if you ever want to part with a bottle or two, with compensation of course :msn-wink:

Always looking to try something new. Although it doesn't have a lot of heat per say, have you ever tried Lizano Salsa? It's hard to describe but it's very good. The kids love it as well. Tough to find but it can be done online.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/9015.jpg

While we're at it, this is pretty good too, every once in awhile:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/Image2-3.jpg

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Wow! D@ Where did you get that from? I'd probably really like that.

When my son gets back from the cruise with the hot sauce (I'm hoping he can find the same place where my friend bought it), I'll definately trade with you, or I'll just send a bottle. We've got quite a selection of hot sauces here at the house that we've found on our travels, and we're always looking for new ones too.

Abelman
02-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Here's where I get it:

http://hotnbottled.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=lizano

I use it for a lot of things.

As for maybe getting a bottle, I appreaciate it. I'll be more than happy to pay for it.

Like you, I have too many sauces and ground peppers, at least according to my wife, LOL. Can never have enough IMO. The problem here is that you found a great sauce and not a viable way to replenish. That's my worst fear :ack2:

Jake
02-15-2009, 02:42 PM
now them burgers looked good, craw fish tastes like lobster? never had craw fish :thumbs up: gotta try it though

[quote=BA_LoKo;30801]You'd really like this stuff...

kev, i sell that in my import ailse at work, im sure of it, send me the upc with the check digits (little number in front and back) 12 numbers in total
if so i will bring you as much as i can when we come out for the trip:thumbs up:
love the Q in the back ground

does that pepper beer taste like a corona with kick??

chef schwantz
02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
THat salsa Lizano is good stuff, not much heat but a ton of good flavor, kind of like a savory concentrated V-8. They use it like catsup in Central America.

Abelman
02-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Jake,

Yeah, that kind of describes it, Corona with a kick. It's a pretty good kick though. There's another way you can get the gist and as much or as little kick as needed. I take either the juice from a jar of Banana Peppers or Jalapenos and pour some into your favorite beer. Once the peppers are gone, I save the juice in the frig and have one whenever. Plus, it's much cheaper that way.

As for that sauce, do you guys ship to Colorado? :drooling: Now that I've heard about it, I really want to try it.

As for the comment on Lizano Salsa, that's a pretty good description. Tons of flavor. It's the Costa Rican ketsup but thinner in constitency. Great thing about it, doesn't need refrigeration. For that price, you get a lot of sauce, almost 24 oz's.

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
now them burgers looked good, craw fish tastes like lobster? never had craw fish :thumbs up: gotta try it though

[quote=BA_LoKo;30801]You'd really like this stuff...

kev, i sell that in my import ailse at work, im sure of it, send me the upc with the check digits (little number in front and back) 12 numbers in total
if so i will bring you as much as i can when we come out for the trip:thumbs up:
love the Q in the back ground

does that pepper beer taste like a corona with kick??

Jake, the number is 011848205717 . If you've got a source, I'd be most oblidged!

Abelman, how much juice do you put into a beer? I would think the vinegar would be overpowering if very much was added.

Jake
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Jake,

Yeah, that kind of describes it, Corona with a kick. It's a pretty good kick though. There's another way you can get the gist and as much or as little kick as needed. I take either the juice from a jar of Banana Peppers or Jalapenos and pour some into your favorite beer. Once the peppers are gone, I save the juice in the frig and have one whenever. Plus, it's much cheaper that way.

As for that sauce, do you guys ship to Colorado? :drooling: Now that I've heard about it, I really want to try it.

As for the comment on Lizano Salsa, that's a pretty good description. Tons of flavor. It's the Costa Rican ketsup but thinner in constitency. Great thing about it, doesn't need refrigeration. For that price, you get a lot of sauce, almost 24 oz's.

[quote=Jake;30812]now them burgers looked good, craw fish tastes like lobster? never had craw fish :thumbs up: gotta try it though

Jake, the number is 011848205717 . If you've got a source, I'd be most oblidged!

Abelman, how much juice do you put into a beer? I would think the vinegar would be overpowering if very much was added.

i'll pull up the upc at work tommorow and take some picks of some others we carry (dont tell, i could catch poop) ill let you know

abelman if i do indeed carry it i will send you some :msn-wink: i know for a fact i got a kind that is the same chit:thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
[quote=BA_LoKo;30829]

i'll pull up the upc at work tommorow and take some picks of some others we carry (dont tell, i could catch poop) ill let you know

abelman if i do indeed carry it i will send you some :msn-wink: i know for a fact i got a kind that is the same chit:thumbs up:

Oh, c'mon. Put your elvis wig back on and get down there right away, man! This is important!! :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

chef schwantz
02-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow, I can't believe the brain fart I've had all these years. I bet Salsa Linzano would be agreat addition to a bloody mary. I can't believe I did't htink of that until I reread my description.:smack:

Jake
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
[quote=Jake;30839]

Oh, c'mon. Put your elvis wig back on and get down there right away, man! This is important!! :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

no worries ill hook us up, i just got to figure how im going to take the pics,
8 feet Jamaican, 12 feet Thia 16 feet so on... i'll take pics of the hot sauces one way or another :msn-wink:

Abelman
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks Jake :thumbs up:, looking forward to seeing what happens.

As for how much pepper juice, start with a teaspoon and adjust from there. Sometimes more, sometimes less. It's hard to say because everyone has a different tolerance for heat. Sometimes I just eyeball it and pour it in from the jar.

Butt Lover's
02-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Nice :)

SmokyOkie
02-15-2009, 11:12 PM
What a coincidence. We just came across a few pounds of tails yesterday when we were "Freezer diving" for a chunk of dry aged prime rib.

I keep them in stock for gumbo, but these are getting old. car to share the recipe?

The salsa Lizano(?) reminds me of a sauce that is right next to the Venezuelan notional sauce "Salsa Doņa Flora" they bill it as hot sauce, but it is very mild/. They also bill it as a "powerful sexual stimulant" because it contains ground up giant ants that the native indians swear by as an aphrodisiac.

I don;t know about the hot part, whether culinary or sexual, but the stuff is really good. Anybody know where or if it can be bought here?

BTW Kev, here;s where you can buy Melinda's 4x (http://www.melindas.com/sauces/xxxx.html) . $3.43 per bottle.

I have ordered a bottle of the Lizano.:thumbs up:

Abelman
02-16-2009, 12:33 AM
car to share the recipe?

Not at all. Here's the one I used as most tails are already cooked, so:

SHRIMP BURGERS - Time: 1 hour

1 pound shrimp (or crawfish tails)
2 tablespoons scallions
3 tablespoons diced celery
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
11/2 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
1 cup cornbread crumbs (or bread crumbs)
1 egg, beaten (I would use 2 for a little more firmness in the burger for Crawfish)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Tabasco sauce, to taste (of course - this is my recipe, you know)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1. Cook and peel the shrimp, and chop.
2. In a large bowl mix the shrimp with the scallions, parsley, and lemon zest. Stir in the mayonnaise, cornbread crumbs and the egg, and beat with a whisk or wooden spoon until evenly distributed. Season w/ salt, pepper & tabasco to taste.
3. Form into patties and saute in peanut oil (or EVOO) until both sides are nicely browned. Drain on paper towel. Serve on hamburger buns or choice of bread with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce. NOTE: really hard crusty stuff is not, IMO best; hearty, but softer stuff, w/seeds or w/o depending on personal preference is GOOD. Some like it with lots of tartar sauce, but I don't unless it's homemade. Yield: 4 servings.

If you can keep them firm enough, the grill is excellent. Using a platter with the holes in it like you use for fish or veggies is the way to go. Haven't tried them smoked yet but it's on the list. Without much fat, not sure how they would do though.

Here's another I have if you need to cook either the shrimp or crawfish:

Ingredients :

1 pound raw Shrimp (cleaned, shelled & deveined)
1 Egg
1/4 cup finely chopped Parsley Leaves
1/2 cup Panko Crumbs
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper
Wasabi Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
Preparation :
In a food processor, process half the shrimp with the egg. Coarsely chop the
remaining shrimp and put it into a bowl. Add the processed shrimp and the parsley,
panko crumbs, salt and pepper to taste. Divide the mixture into 4 portions and form
them into patties (a round cookie cutter works well for forming the shrimp burgers.
Put the cookie cutter on freezer or waxed paper and fill with the shrimp mixture,
then gently pull off the cookie cutter). After the burgers are formed, put them in the
refrigerator for about 2 hours to help them firm up.
Stabilize egg at 350° with a raised grid. Place the burgers on a perforated pan such
as a pizza pan with holes or a porcelain coated cooking grid. Place pan on the raised
grid and grill until cooked through, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Remove the burgers to an english muffin half that has been spread with the Wasabi
Mayonnaise. Add more Wasabi Mayonnaise on top of the shrimp burger. Cut into
quarters and enjoy!
Wasabi Mayonnaise :
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared Wasabi (available in the Asian section of your supermarket)
1 tsp. freshly grated Ginger
2 Tbls. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar
Pinch Salt
Mix all the ingredients together. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Cover and
refrigerate until ready to use.

Hope that helps

unclelchap
02-16-2009, 07:01 AM
great lookin burgers abe:thumbs up:

weve done something similar before where we roll them into balls and fry, we also use fish for the recipe. almost similar to a crab cake.

crewdawg52
02-16-2009, 07:49 AM
That's why I'm not an ad man. Would never have thought of "crawdad burgers". Well done! :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Not at all. Here's the one I used as most tails are already cooked, so:

If you can keep them firm enough, the grill is excellent. Using a platter with the holes in it like you use for fish or veggies is the way to go. Haven't tried them smoked yet but it's on the list. Without much fat, not sure how they would do though.

You could add some more mayo or some butter to the mix, or for that matter, baste w/ butter or OO while cooking.

Here's another I have if you need to cook either the shrimp or crawfish:

Wasabi Mayonnaise :
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared Wasabi (available in the Asian section of your supermarket)
1 tsp. freshly grated Ginger
2 Tbls. Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Sugar
Pinch Salt
Hope that helps

Just a warning to those unfamiliar with wasabi, @ 20%wasabi, that is some sadistic wasabi mayo. If trying it for the forst time, you might want to add the wasabi a little at a time.

Thanx for the recipe AM!:thumbs up:

Joneser
02-16-2009, 12:25 PM
I love the burn of wasabi, nice kick in the nuts, up front, but a burn that doesn't last too long. Good for sinuses too....

SmokyOkie
02-16-2009, 04:13 PM
It'll take your head off if you use enough.:misbehaving:

Jake
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
[quote=Jake;30839]

thats funny our system is called elvis. sorry the upc came up not on file but i will look into more at work tonight:msn-wink:

californiasmokin
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
This sounds great!