PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Diving

peculiarmike
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Went freezer diving.
Came up with a 7.75 lb. bone-in turkey hooter I picked up back around Thanksgiving on sale.
So, I made up a "brine" (this is only the second time I have done a brine) that really is not a "brine" because it does not use much salt -
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 quarts apple juice (or cider)
I used apple juice and did not have maple syrup on hand so I used a cup of maple flavored pancake syrup, it worked just fine and made this sweeter. Mixed the solution thoroughly in a big stainless bowl. Placed the frozen hooter in a two gallon ziploc bag and poured in the solution, squeezed out as much air as possible and sealed it. That went into a big Tupperware container and into the garage refreshment center to soak and thaw.
The breast stayed in the solution two days and was completely thawed. I pulled it out, dumped the solution and thoroughly washed the hooter in clear cold water, then dried it.
Rolled out the SDS drum smoker and fired it up with Best Choice lump and hickory chunks.
While it was coming up to temp I painted the hooter with EVOO. I had contemplated making a herb paste and putting it between the skin and meat. Since it was afternoon and I wanted this for the evening meal I opted out, but will do that next hooter.
The hooter went on the drum at 260F on a rack in a foil pan. I opened the intake valve wide open and the smoker temp went up to 300 and settled there. The smoke took 3 1/2 hours. It was a REALLY windy day, 45-50 MPH gusts, but the drum just perked right along at 300. I smoked the hooter to 175F internal temp and pulled it off, let it rest 15 minutes under a foil tent.
When sliced the turkey was perfect. Moist and cooked just right, beautiful brown skin, not rubbery (EVOO does that). The smoky flavor with the flavor from the solution was killer! I will not attribute the moist meat to the solution soak. If you want moist meat the solution is simple - don't overcook it and dry it out.
Jane made up some good beans with "bean meat" (brisket remains) in them and some garlic/cheesy toasted bread.
And I also smoked up some stuffed shrooms as an appetizer.
(And the turkey made some good sammies with cranberry-orange sauce later)
Here ya go -

SmokyOkie
02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Looks like a feed Mike!:thumbs up:

Whyncha post your pix w/ Photobucket so we don't have to click and wait? They really do come out much better.

BigAL
02-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Dang, that looks good!:thumbs up: Nice job! What did you stuff the mushroms w/?

Being the way I am:msn-wink:, I gotta "correct" you on the brine. I've done a bunch of side-by-sides w/& w/out brine on mostly chix and maybe 4 turkeys(all whole birds). Even compared to BCCx. The brine not only adds flavor, but moisture, and if you get busy and don't check the chix soon enough......helps w/moisture when you do over cook.(personal experience:blushing:). For me/us, poultry and shrimp get a brine, not an option either. I also add seasonings to the brine, whole spices if I can, and anything fresh from the garden is a major plus. I also pull mine off early, 160-165, then rest in foil(that is if I'm around to do so).

Enough of my BS, that is one fine look'n meal ya got there!:thumbs up::drooling:

Thanks for share'n, your make'n me dang hungry.

peculiarmike
02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
[quote=BigAL;30528]Dang, that looks good!:thumbs up: Nice job! What did you stuff the mushroms w/?

Here's the shroom recipe, they are GOOD -

The Ultimate Stuffed Mushroom

Ingredients
1. 20 medium mushrooms
2. 3 tablespoons butter
3. 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
4. 2 tablespoons finely chopped red peppers
5. 14 RITZ Crackers, finely crushed
6. 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
7. 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Cooking Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Remove stems from mushrooms. Finely chop enough of the stems to measure 1/4 cup; set aside. Cover and refrigerate remaining stems for other use.
2. Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped mushroom stems, the onions and peppers; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in cracker crumbs, cheese and Italian seasoning. Spoon crumb mixture evenly into mushroom caps. Place on un-greased baking sheet.
3. Bake 15 min. or until heated through.

I smoke them at about 225- 250 with hickory for 45 minutes or so, you just have to keep an eye on them. You can add other stuff as you like, but I'd try them per the recipe first. EASY to make. ENJOY!

BYBBQ
02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
tasty lookin' feast.:thumbs up:

Bassman
02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Good lookin' feast, Mike. Keep on smokin'.:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Dang, that looks good!:thumbs up: Nice job! What did you stuff the mushroms w/?

Being the way I am:msn-wink:, I gotta "correct" you on the brine. I've done a bunch of side-by-sides w/& w/out brine on mostly chix and maybe 4 turkeys(all whole birds). Even compared to BCCx. The brine not only adds flavor, but moisture, and if you get busy and don't check the chix soon enough......helps w/moisture when you do over cook.(personal experience:blushing:). For me/us, poultry and shrimp get a brine, not an option either. I also add seasonings to the brine, whole spices if I can, and anything fresh from the garden is a major plus. I also pull mine off early, 160-165, then rest in foil(that is if I'm around to do so).

You are prolly right if you buy unbrined birds BA, but about 95% of the turkeys you buy in the grocery store are injected to saturation amd then some when you buy them. You really can't add any more liquid than what's already in there. You can only replace what is there.

As to flavor, I believe that you could improve flavor, but injection is a much moe effective method for that.:shrug:

Butt Lover's
02-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Sweet! I wish I could get skin like that - perfect!!

SmokyOkie
02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
High temps, oil and light smoke do it.

unclelchap
02-14-2009, 07:10 AM
im with al, although ive never brined a turkey, i always brine my chicken. it makes a difference that you cant replace. even if its only salt, water, and sugar, it makes a difference. you just have to follow your taste buds! if it taste good to you and the ppl you feed, keep doin it! btw that bird and those shrooms look awsome!:kewlpics: keep smokin my friend!:thumbs up:

BigAL
02-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Good point about the solution, I forgot about that. The place where I buy my whole chickens does not put them in a solution, and it is hard to find a turkey w/out it. My groc butcher gets a hand full of turkeys that aren't in a solution as me and another local guy(who likes to smoke) buys them up.

That skin does look awsome, along w/those mushrooms.:drooling:

Chargrilled
02-14-2009, 04:15 PM
You really can't add any more liquid than what's already in there. You can only replace what is there.

As to flavor, I believe that you could improve flavor, but injection is a much moe effective method for that.:shrug:

Hum, would beg to differ, I think the whole osmosis thing comes back at that. Sure injection would put it in there also but isnt that the point of a brine so that the solution pulls the flavor into the piece and saturates it with what you want??

Works on chix great!!! Work on a gobbler the same:shrug:

SmokyOkie
02-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Hum, would beg to differ, I think the whole osmosis thing comes back at that. Sure injection would put it in there also but isnt that the point of a brine so that the solution pulls the flavor into the piece and saturates it with what you want??

Works on chix great!!! Work on a gobbler the same:shrug:

If you inject it with what you want, wouldn't that put what you want into the bird, and in a fraction of the time?

You been drinkin' again Trav?

Actually, I beleive that the primary purpose of brining is to saturate the meat with solution, which injected turkeys,as I stated< are already saturated, and most all turkeys are injected at the processing plant. If you aren't sure about your turkey, just stretch the skin and you will see thousands of little holes open up.

Chargrilled
02-15-2009, 10:08 AM
If you inject it with what you want, wouldn't that put what you want into the bird, and in a fraction of the time?

You been drinkin' again Trav? You mean did I ever stop??:roflmaoha0:

Actually, I beleive that the primary purpose of brining is to saturate the meat with solution, which injected turkeys,as I stated< are already saturated, and most all turkeys are injected at the processing plant. If you aren't sure about your turkey, just stretch the skin and you will see thousands of little holes open up.

There is no question about birds coming already sat and the point about the millions of hole, absolutely. SOOOOOOOOO, now that we have a bird already injected, you inject it again with your ingredients or brine it?? and would you get the same results???

BA_LoKo
02-15-2009, 10:33 AM
There is no question about birds coming already sat and the point about the millions of hole, absolutely. SOOOOOOOOO, now that we have a bird already injected, you inject it again with your ingredients or brine it?? and would you get the same results???

Trav, injecting the bird allows you to add many levels of flavor that would not be there no matter how long you brined it. While brining can add some flavor, it can't entirely replace what was injected at the plant. When you inject, you actually displace some of the saturation already there, and add flavor. At least that's my take on it.

Here are a couple of the different marinades that I use from time to time.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0816.jpg

Chargrilled
02-15-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok, so injecting would displace what the company had already injected. And we are saying that brining wouldn't or at least as much. I can buy that, maybe I should do a test run at this, I know it has been done somewhere else probably but, WTF why not try it for the joint. Maybe with chix though. Just have to come up with a method to where both sides have the same chance of "enhancing" the food.

Trav, injecting the bird allows you to add many levels of flavor that would not be there no matter how long you brined it. While brining can add some flavor, it can't entirely replace what was injected at the plant. When you inject, you actually displace some of the saturation already there, and add flavor. At least that's my take on it.

Here are a couple of the different marinades that I use from time to time.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h252/Kev74012/112_0816.jpg

Jake
02-15-2009, 03:40 PM
none the less all the chow looked good, i can picture chowing on that skin right now :drooling:

SmokyOkie
02-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Good point about the solution, I forgot about that. The place where I buy my whole chickens does not put them in a solution, and it is hard to find a turkey w/out it. My groc butcher gets a hand full of turkeys that aren't in a solution as me and another local guy(who likes to smoke) buys them up.

That skin does look awsome, along w/those mushrooms.:drooling:

I can find chickens that way ( smart chickens), but I can;t find gobblers that way.:tap:

Ok, so injecting would displace what the company had already injected. And we are saying that brining wouldn't or at least as much. I can buy that, maybe I should do a test run at this, I know it has been done somewhere else probably but, WTF why not try it for the joint. Maybe with chix though. Just have to come up with a method to where both sides have the same chance of "enhancing" the food.

Trav, it's a matter of injecting them with flavor laden concentrated marinades as opposed to a lightly flavored salt water solution ( brine, or chicken plant injection)

crewdawg52
02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Well done Mike :thumbs up: Looks great! Hope you can make Columbus, Ms next month at "Grilling On the River" comp. Love to finally meet ya. My March schedule turned out like I wanted, so I'm meeting Bud and Tonto there thursday afternoon/ early evening. :woohoo:

peculiarmike
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Well done Mike :thumbs up: Looks great! Hope you can make Columbus, Ms next month at "Grilling On the River" comp. Love to finally meet ya. My March schedule turned out like I wanted, so I'm meeting Bud and Tonto there thursday afternoon/ early evening. :woohoo:

Dawg, we will be there. Jane scheduled some vac. days and it's on the calendar. We are looking forward to the comp, meeting you, and seeing good friends. :msn-wink: :woohoo:

Chargrilled
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Mike sorry bout the partial hyjack. wont happen again.

SmokyOkie
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Heck Trav, this thread ran long enough that I think everybody forgot what it was about.:msn-wink:

I'm sure Mike wasn't sweatin' it.

peculiarmike
02-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Doesn't bother me. Bother me. Bother me. Bother me. I'm OK. :wo:

Chargrilled
02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Doesn't bother me. Bother me. Bother me. Bother me. I'm OK. :wo:

ROFL, Im glad I am among friends!:roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
MMMMMM Tasty!