PDA

View Full Version : Something called Booya

chef schwantz
02-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Every region has its own unique little kind of stew/chowder. The coasts have seafood chowders, gulf coast has gumbo, SE has Brunswick Stew, SW has chili. In the northern parts of the midwest we have a concoction of meat and veggies called Booya. It is a slow simmered mix of beef, chicken, and/or game mixed with veggies(always with rutabegas or turnups) cooked in a large cauldron at least overnight. Very common in the fall for church and volunteer fire dept fundraisers. You can usually buy it by the bowl, quart or gallon, and it usually sells out within a couple of hours, which is quick considering a small batch is around 25 gallons. I have no pics to post as I havent been involved in one for a few years. Here is the recipe for one that I made in 2002 for my cousins October wedding. The best are made with lots of cuts that have large chunks of marrow in the bones. The broth is just as good by itself. Let me know what you think.

10# oxtail
10# beef shank with bones
15# beef chuck or round, with bones
8 large chickens, no neck, giblets optional, cut in half
1 head garlic, peeled
10# onion, chopped coarse
10 bay leaves
15# carrots, chopped coarse
10# corn
3 #10 cans rutabegas
5# turnups or parsnips, large dice
10# green beans, cut
15# potatos, peeled and chunked
1 1# jar beef BASE, not bullion
1 1# jar chicken BASE
1 bottle worchestersire
1/4 cup thyme
salt/pepper to taste
!-2 cases of beer

Start cook no later than 8 pm night prior to service, for noon service next day.
Preheat kettle. Saute meats, onion and garlic in oil till brown. Add water to cover, simmer for 4 hours. After 4 hours, start fishing out the bones and chicken carcasses and remove to a clean surface to cool. Remove any chunks of fat and chicken skin as well. Clean meat from bones, being careful to save any marrow from the beef bones. Place meat and marrow back in pot. Around 3 am, add bay leaves, potatos, turnups/parsnips, and rutabegas, along with 1/2 of the bases. Continue to simmer, adding water to keep covered. Around 6 am, add remainder of veggies. Around 9 am, taste, and adjust seasoning to taste, adding more base as needed, along with some worchestersire. Around 11 am, taste and adjust again, and add thyme. Reduce heat. Should be ready to eat around noon.

chef schwantz
02-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I forgot to mention that the preferred untensil for stirring is a canoe paddle.

chadd17
02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Sounds like a lot of work, but also good. Thanks for posting the recipe. Will give it a try. Always looking for something new as a Fire Department fundraiser. :sign0092:

unclelchap
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
:drooling:sounds like a treat for the taste buds, but how would you downscale this to serve maybe 8-10?

chef schwantz
02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
:drooling:sounds like a treat for the taste buds, but how would you downscale this to serve maybe 8-10?

Any way you would like Uncle. Just remember, the marrow bones and the oxtail add a pile of flavor to the finished dish.

chef schwantz
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a lot of work, but also good. Thanks for posting the recipe. Will give it a try. Always looking for something new as a Fire Department fundraiser. :sign0092:

The ones Iv'e been to for VFD's are a great time. Usually there is beer, and a rival VFD there for water fights and my rig can pump more than your rig fights.