PDA

View Full Version : Tisket a tasket, who can cook a champion Brisket?

Bud's BBQ
01-16-2008, 06:54 PM
We have completed our first year in competition - only 4 comps. while we did pretty good for our first times out, brisket was the real downer. They taste good to me, but, obviously, not to the judges. Soooooooo, any ideas???

TX Sandman
01-16-2008, 07:13 PM
:confused:Got me. Never competed (yet), so I haven't a clue. Any chance you could ask the judges for some feedback?

Bud's BBQ
01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh that we could. They use a 'double blind' sample such that they have no idea who they are judging.

Kew_el_steve
01-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Never done a comp. Have you done Smoky Okie style? Don't know if that's what they are looking for in a comp, but it sure comes out wonderful. Maybe something to start with and then you can inject, marinate, etc. It uses very little seasoning, but uses the taste of the meat, mostly. It's the only way that I do mine now, but that's just me.

Seems to me that developing a killer brisket is having a good baseline (The Recipe) and some feedback.

http://www.recipezaar.com/207187

Bud's BBQ
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Never done a comp. Have you done Smoky Okie style? Don't know if that's what they are looking for in a comp, but it sure comes out wonderful. Maybe something to start with and then you can inject, marinate, etc. It uses very little seasoning, but uses the taste of the meat, mostly. It's the only way that I do mine now, but that's just me.

Seems to me that developing a killer brisket is having a good baseline (The Recipe) and some feedback.

We have had the great pleasure of sampling Okie's brisket. Will have to consider how to moderate for comps.

Sledneck
10-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Fab!!!!

Captain Caveman
10-08-2008, 08:14 AM
We have completed our first year in competition - only 4 comps. while we did pretty good for our first times out, brisket was the real downer. They taste good to me, but, obviously, not to the judges. Soooooooo, any ideas???

For us, Brisket is VERY regional. They LOVE it in Oklahoma, and HATE it everywhere else we compete (same recipe). I wish I could help you, but I am at my witts end also.

I feel your pain.

Bbq Bubba
10-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Fab!!!!

Butchers BBQ......:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM

Wow! Kew_el_Steve and Bud both on the same thread! Two prodigal sons return. It's great to see the both of you!

Butchers BBQ......:msn-wink:

We beat Butcher David while using his inject. Go figure.:shrug::wings:

Bud, we won a first place cooking against teams like Pellet Envy, Twin Oaks, Buffalo and Habitual Smokers. Is that a good enough championship brisket?

We won it with a 10# brisket using the SmokyOkie method and turned in the part of the flat that sits below the deckle.

Drop me a PM if you want more info, also just to catch up.

Bbq Bubba
10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow! Kew_el_Steve and Bud both on the same thread! Two prodigal sons return. It's great to see the both of you!

Tim, those posts are 9 months old.......:blushing:

We beat Butcher David while using his inject. Go figure.:shrug::wings:

Bud, we won a first place cooking against teams like Pellet Envy, Twin Oaks, Buffalo and Habitual Smokers. Is that a good enough championship brisket?

We won it with a 10# brisket using the SmokyOkie method and turned in the part of the flat that sits below the deckle.

Drop me a PM if you want more info, also just to catch up.

Ummmm, how about some pics of this first place brisket?? :shrug:

I remember the thread, but not any pics.

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I think Glued2it may have one, hen again maybe not. You know how it is, the last minute frenzy before turn in.

I could paot a picture of our 1st place umbrella.......that's right, instead of a ribbon or trophy, they gave out umbrellas. Wjo gives out umbrellas?

Do you use butcher's inject in your briskets? How about your pork?

Bbq Bubba
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Umbrellas??? WTF???

Waiting for Butcher to give me a sponsorship.....:blushing:

Chris Lillys injection for pork is always a winner!

Fatback Joe
10-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I used the Butcher's product at the last comp I did..........got 8th. Seemed alright, I only got one practice cook with it before the comp and was still playing with it some.

At home I mixed it with %100 homemade beef stock/broth.......seemed a bit strong. At the comp I mixed it with 50/50 broth & water........toned it down a bit, but looking back on it, I wish I would have gone full strength at the comp. Maybe next time.

Looks like I will be doing a comp on 11/7 & 8 so I will give it another crack then........had a comp for next week, but it got cancelled. :tap:

Fatback Joe
10-08-2008, 12:23 PM

Not always :blushing::blushing:

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Umbrellas??? WTF???

Waiting for Butcher to give me a sponsorship.....:blushing:

You'll prolly be waiting a long time.:D I think David is more interested in sponsoring himself right now. If he wins the Jack Daniels in a couple weeks, maybe he'll look at it different.......NOT!:roflmaoha0:

Where do I get this Chris Lilly's inject?

peculiarmike
08-07-2009, 02:30 AM

Revisiting the above post -
Ya know, talking with Bud at the get together at Valpo last weekend he mentioned a LOT has changed since we first met at a get together near Clinton, MO "sponsored" by another website in a galaxy far far away.
And boy is he right!
Gone is the Lang 60, replaced by the new Geer Pit by Jambo. Whatta toy!
But more, Bud & Tonto's comp team, Smokin' Scotsmen, has two grand championships under their belt this year and are headed to the American Royal Invitational and Open this coming Oct.
AND, here's the biggie -
20 months after his post quoted above Bud's brisket presently ranks #24 in the USofA out of some 3000 plus KCBS teams.
So I guess the answer to the question in the post heading would be BUD!
Yep. A LOT has changed. Congrats Bud. Nice!

:thumbs up: :thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
08-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Wow, congrats Bud! We don't have many teams on this forum, but the ones we have are pretty dang good!

Chargrilled
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Got to reiterate what Mike was sayin, bought not so good full packers and they turned em into gold folks, :wow:

Im just sayin!!!!
:wow:

Revisiting the above post -
Ya know, talking with Bud at the get together at Valpo last weekend he mentioned a LOT has changed since we first met at a get together near Clinton, MO "sponsored" by another website in a galaxy far far away.
And boy is he right!
Gone is the Lang 60, replaced by the new Geer Pit by Jambo. Whatta toy!
But more, Bud & Tonto's comp team, Smokin' Scotsmen, has two grand championships under their belt this year and are headed to the American Royal Invitational and Open this coming Oct.
AND, here's the biggie -
20 months after his post quoted above Bud's brisket presently ranks #24 in the USofA out of some 3000 plus KCBS teams.
So I guess the answer to the question in the post heading would be BUD!
Yep. A LOT has changed. Congrats Bud. Nice!

:thumbs up: :thumbs up:

ButcherBBQ
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
You'll prolly be waiting a long time.:D I think David is more interested in sponsoring himself right now. If he wins the Jack Daniels in a couple weeks, maybe he'll look at it different.......NOT!:roflmaoha0:

Where do I get this Chris Lilly's inject?

Whats that mean?

SmokyOkie
08-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Bubba had said that he was waiting for you to give him a sponsorship.

"Waiting for Butcher to give me a sponsorship.....:blushing:"
a few posts earlier.

I was just saying that it was prolly not real likely. You're not gonna give him a sponsorship are you?

flying illini
08-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow, nice goin Bud & Tonto!

Joneser
08-10-2009, 09:32 AM
I gotta agree....that brisket at Valpo was very good!

Bringin' The Heat
09-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I have competed against Walt and Tonto several times and they are a threat to win anytime the Bus stops.