View Full Version : cheese dip

unclelchap
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
this i a little dip i made for the game

get you some of this
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P1010103.jpg

this is one med yel onion and 4 jalapenos sauteed in 1/2 stick of margarine
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P1010106-1.jpg

some salad shrimp and crab meat (sorry no pic of crab)
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P099.jpg

once the onions and peppers have caremelized,
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P1010106.jpg

add your seafood and about 2 tsp of this
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P1010109.jpg

cook about 2 min longer then drain and mix with the cheese sauce
(no pic of this process) sorry.

mix it all in and let simmer on low until its gone.
serve it with some fresh french bread instead of chips!:msn-wink:

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt64/unclelchap/P1010111-1.jpg

cowgirl
02-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Unclelchap, that looks great! Thanks for the recipe. :thumbs up::sign0092:

Buzzards Roost
02-03-2009, 05:22 AM
Oh boy!!! I'm goin a love this. Thanks Unclelchap:sign0092:

BYBBQ
02-03-2009, 06:35 AM
That looks real tasty.:drooling: Have to give it a try.:thumbs up:

Joneser
02-03-2009, 07:16 AM
That looks really appetizing! I'd have to de-turd those shrimps first though.

Jake
02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
does it matter if we dont have that boil stuff up here (that i know of) can i omit it?? looks good, id give her a go for sure :thumbs up:
did you use all the velvetta and all the cheese sauce too?

SmokyOkie
02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm there! Maybe even with a little nice lump crab meat!:thumbs up:

BA_LoKo
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Dang, Chap! How did I miss this thread? That's some good looking stuff there. Very unique and interesting. It's certainly worth trying. Thank you!

Jake
02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
that was my thoughts,(i almost missed this one too) i was thinking even lobster meat, he used crab meat but missed the picks :tap::roflmaoha0: i want to know if he used the whole block of valveda and that whole bottle of cheese sauce too, you think that boil; stuff could be left out :drooling: gonna try it Saturday i think :msn-wink: hmmm water chestnuts and artichoke hearts too maybe :blushing:

BA_LoKo
02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Jake, do you know of any kind of cajun seasoning there......maybe something for a shrimp boil? There's got to be a variation there, I would think. Anyway, I'll see if I can hustle up a home recipe for you and you can make your own.

To answer your question; sure it can be left out. The taste will be a bit different, but I'll bet it will be good.

chef schwantz
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Jake, that crab boil stuff gives it a preety good kick. It's liquid concentrate made from red peppers and other good stuff. But not like most hot sauces. I can't really think of a good substitute. Maybe some of that Thai chili garlic sauce.

SmokyOkie
02-06-2009, 10:00 PM
When I first saw the thread I thought" Wow, here goes the Rotel dip."

But I was way wrong. This stuff sounds real good.:thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
*****!!!

SmokyOkie
02-06-2009, 11:30 PM
*****!!!

You are gonna get soooo censored!

Jake
02-07-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks guys ill let you know if i find anything:thumbs up:

unclelchap
02-08-2009, 12:30 PM
sorry guys, i was away for a couple days. glad yall found a lil interest in the dip. if you want to sub the pro boil try to find maybe some old bay and add a lil cayenne. yes i did use all of the velveeta and cheese sauce. you probably dont need the sauce but i used it as a base cause i didnt know where i was going with the dip, it just kind of fell together. you can use any crab meat, but i like it w/ the lump cause you can see it and bite into it. you can use rotel but i didnt cause i added my own peppers fresh, so i just went with a can of petite diced. and that boil is a powder, like a rub, but there is the liquid form. but be careful with that cause its much more concentrated. id like to here what yall think if youve tried this recipe! i know yall prolly like chips, but trust me, try the french bread, (especially toasted!) youll love it!:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
sorry guys, i was away for a couple days. glad yall found a lil interest in the dip. if you want to sub the pro boil try to find maybe some old bay and add a lil cayenne. yes i did use all of the velveeta and cheese sauce. you probably dont need the sauce but i used it as a base cause i didnt know where i was going with the dip, it just kind of fell together. you can use any crab meat, but i like it w/ the lump cause you can see it and bite into it. you can use rotel but i didnt cause i added my own peppers fresh, so i just went with a can of petite diced. and that boil is a powder, like a rub, but there is the liquid form. but be careful with that cause its much more concentrated. id like to here what yall think if youve tried this recipe! i know yall prolly like chips, but trust me, try the french bread, (especially toasted!) youll love it!:msn-wink:

Actually, there isn't any real substitute for the Zatarain's, is there Chappy?

unclelchap
02-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Actually, there isn't any real substitute for the Zatarain's, is there Chappy?

if there is, i aint found it yet!:msn-wink:

the key is, though, you gotta complement the seafood and give it spice, without overpowering the cheese itself. cajun or creole is not just HOT, its trying to marry spicey with delicious flavor. so dont just make it HOT, make it taste good too!

Jake
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

old bay we carry, but now you all say there is no sub :tap: well guess its like everything you got to find the right mix and go from there, wonder how much cheese dip one could eat :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
old bay we carry, but now you all say there is no sub :tap: well guess its like everything you got to find the right mix and go from there, wonder how much cheese dip one could eat :roflmaoha0:

Remind us in June Jake. In fact, put together a grocery list, and we'll all get together and fix you up for your return trip.

Chappy, I like th eseasoning bas for a shrimp or crawfish boil. I add a bunch of cayenne too.

How bout you?

unclelchap
02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Chappy, I like th eseasoning bas for a shrimp or crawfish boil. I add a bunch of cayenne too.

How bout you?

oh yeah smoky, thats what its intended for. i dont boil with out it. as a matter of fact, try this, prepare a pot as if you are going to boil seafood, let it cool a bit, then soak a whole chicken in it for at least 20 min. put on a good rub then throw it in the smoker!!:drooling::drooling::eating::eating: man, talk about good eats!

SmokyOkie
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
It's on my list! Should I boil a few lemons ion it first too?

unclelchap
02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
lemons and chicken.... of course!:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I just always put lemons in my boil.