PDA

View Full Version : Long awaited, Here it is!!!

SmokyOkie
02-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Yhe Okette and I went up toward KC this weekend to visit our good friends, Peculiar Mike and Jane.

Yesterday we stopped in at a BBQ and grilling shop, and there it was staring me in the face.

Understand that I had been on them for over two years to make it, and that as recent as last fall, I was told that there were no plans on the board to make it. But tonight that all goes by the wayside.

Ladies and gentleman, please allow me to unveil the new for 2009 Weber Smoky Mountain 22 1/2" smoker.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2052.jpg

Here it is with a yardstick for scale

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2053.jpg

Lid off

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2056.jpg

side door open

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2057.jpg

Top grate out, bottom grate in

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2058.jpg

Cooking grates out

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2059.jpg

Mid section off, view of fire ring and fire grate

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2060.jpg

On the back deck

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2062.jpg

Close up of the thermo

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/WSM%20Feb%202009/HPIM2065.jpg

As we speak it is loaded with 12# of Kingsford Cometition briquettes lit in the middle. The water pan is full of cold water. The lid went on at 6:45 and we will see how ling it takes to come up to temp.

Butt Lover's
02-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Nice looking smoker :)

BYBBQ
02-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Very nice.:thumbs up: Waiting to see some pics of the cooked results from it.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
One hour later and it hit 250. We bought several packs of artisan sausage at a local meat market we stopped at in Garden City MO. They had these garlic pepper dogs and they sounded goo, so they are on the WSM as we speak.

Side not, the Kingsford comp has a real nice smoke to it.

californiasmokin
02-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the post Tim.Interested to see how she performs.

Chargrilled
02-01-2009, 09:45 PM
nice lookin smoker Tim/MIke

yall installed the handle upside down, does Mike have the homemade wine goin again.
:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
nice lookin smoker Tim/MIke

yall installed the handle upside down, does Mike have the homemade wine goin again.
:roflmaoha0:

Actually it came pre assembled that way from the factory. I spose I could flip it over......Naw.

After 30 minutes with the bottom holes about halfway the sausages were done and it was rocking away @ about 325.

I shut all but one and left it open about 1/2. I can already see that adjusting the bottom holes won't be easy cuz they are so low to the ground and hard to see. It is definitely not something you want to do by feel.:msn-wink:

I also shut the top vent about halfway.

30 minutes later, it's running about 230

Joneser
02-02-2009, 07:00 AM
I thought maybe you found a home for it in your living room....glad to see you put it on your patio. Would have been a pain in the butt to move it to vacuum. :D
That's a really nice sized WSM.

Bassman
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Congratulations on the new smoker, Tim. Glad to see you're getting it broke in already.

Fatback Joe
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Cool.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Buzzards Roost
02-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Congratulations on the new smoker. Hope you enjoy it.

peculiarmike
02-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Would have been nice if we had time to get it put together here and fire it up. Ya gotta come up for a whole weekend so we have time to do stuff! We didn't even get to cook anything.
Let me know how those sausages from Kurzweil's Meats are. I generally stop there each trip down to Clinton.
The Okie Weber came from Smoke & Fire in Stanley, KS, just west of us. They sell a nice variety of pricy smoking & grilling toys and also have smoking and grilling classes.
But the sales dude didn't know a Backwoods from a brick. He blew a LOT of smoke though. :ack2: :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I thought maybe you found a home for it in your living room....glad to see you put it on your patio. Would have been a pain in the butt to move it to vacuum. :D
That's a really nice sized WSM.

No brainer there Joneser, cold outside, warm inside.:msn-wink:

Would have been nice if we had time to get it put together here and fire it up. Ya gotta come up for a whole weekend so we have time to do stuff! We didn't even get to cook anything.

You're right there Mike! The time was way too short.
Let me know how those sausages from Kurzweil's Meats are. I generally stop there each trip down to Clinton.
Garlic pepper dogs were most excellent!

The Okie Weber came from Smoke & Fire in Stanley, KS, just west of us. They sell a nice variety of pricy smoking & grilling toys and also have smoking and grilling classes.
But the sales dude didn't know a Backwoods from a brick. He blew a LOT of smoke though. :ack2: :roflmaoha0:

Worse than that Mike, he was the owner!

GoFish
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
the Kingsford comp has a real nice smoke to it.

Did it smell like bleach? :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

That's the first big Webber that I have seen, it looks like a great size. My part of the east coast sucks when it comes to quality BBQ stores. Everything I need/want has to be ordered online & shipped.

flying illini
02-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Nice, Tim. I like that big side door. Will have to come check that out sometime.

PhillyMike
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
can i ask what the damage was on that? you can tell me to sthu if u want. i am just wondering what i am in for..

SmokyOkie
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Did it smell like bleach? :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

That's the first big Webber that I have seen, it looks like a great size. My part of the east coast sucks when it comes to quality BBQ stores. Everything I need/want has to be ordered online & shipped.

It started off nice but then regressed to the standard Kingsford smell.

They weren't supposed to be available until Marchm so when I saw these, I had to buy one and be the first kid on the block

Nice, Tim. I like that big side door. Will have to come check that out sometime.

You know where I live:msn-wink:

can i ask what the damage was on that? you can tell me to sthu if u want. i am just wondering what i am in for..

$400

PhillyMike
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Oofa. I am gunna have to okieize a brisket to dull the pain

SmokyOkie
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm bettin' this thing would do a kick azz brisket.:msn-wink:

Jake
02-02-2009, 09:45 PM
son of a gun... nice new toy, i would have loved to see the food you were talking about but i don't think i seen them or if they even exist :shrug: and my 2nd favorite part is all your spelling mistakes that you would be riding me for.
one for team coors 0 for the okie spelling :woohoo:
if you are out of room i'll store that little guy here for you :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
02-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Not everyone brings their smoker in the house to watch tv with them. Talk about making the smokers family.

Nice lookin trash can there Tim. Bet it's gonna make some kick butt okie style food.

peculiarmike
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
son of a gun... nice new toy, i would have loved to see the food you were talking about but i don't think i seen them or if they even exist :shrug: and my 2nd favorite part is all your spelling mistakes that you would be riding me for.
one for team coors 0 for the okie spelling :woohoo:
if you are out of room i'll store that little guy here for you :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

It's fat fingers Jake. They are hard to type with.

SmokyOkie
02-02-2009, 10:10 PM
You totally lost me Jake.:shrug:

BA_LoKo
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
You totally lost me Jake.:shrug:

Tim, I think he was smacking you back upside your head about your spelling. He spelled it in Canadian though, so it was a bit hard to understand.

Funny thing is, I'm sure you'd never give him a hard time about his spelling.......ever.....right? <coughbullchitcough>

Let me see if I can translate his post for you....

"son of a gun... nice new toy" Nice smoker

"i would have loved to see the food you were talking about but i don't think i seen them or if they even exist :shrug:" No pics, didn't happen (see Bubba's posts)

"and my 2nd favorite part is all your spelling mistakes that you would be riding me for." Haha, you do it too

"one for team coors 0 for the okie spelling :woohoo:" Have another cold one, Brother

"if you are out of room i'll store that little guy here for you :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:" Can I have it.

There ya go. No need to thank me. :msn-wink:

californiasmokin
02-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Tim, I think he was smacking you back upside your head about your spelling. He spelled it in Canadian though, so it was a bit hard to understand.

Funny thing is, I'm sure you'd never give him a hard time about his spelling.......ever.....right? <coughbullchitcough>

Let me see if I can translate his post for you....

"son of a gun... nice new toy" Nice smoker

"i would have loved to see the food you were talking about but i don't think i seen them or if they even exist :shrug:" No pics, didn't happen (see Bubba's posts)

"and my 2nd favorite part is all your spelling mistakes that you would be riding me for." Haha, you do it too

"one for team coors 0 for the okie spelling :woohoo:" Have another cold one, Brother

"if you are out of room i'll store that little guy here for you :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:" Can I have it.

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::thumbs up: You nailed it Kev!

Jake
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: kev you speak Canadian gooooooooooooooood :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I was just trying to figure out what I mis spelled.:shrug:

GoFish
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Kev, can you help me with my daughters 'middle school lingo'? :roflmaoha0:

Well, maybe on second thought, I may not want to know what they are talking about.:smack:

Jake
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I was just trying to figure out what I mis spelled.:shrug:

:roflmaoha0: you missed hte (the first word of your post) and goo :msn-wink: cheater :roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Hey Tim!

You ever cook anything In that WSM?

SmokyOkie
09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
A few things, but I haven't used it in months. You gotta understand though Paul, it was kinda like a conquest thing. After I had been on their backs to make one for over 3 years, they finally did. Now, I'm not egotistic enough to think that I was the only reason they did it, but I do feel like I was part of the winning army.:wings:

silver-bullet
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I was eye balling one of these @ a local hardware store the other day. They wanted $499.00 for one of these & $399.00 for the smaller version which I would not buy because of the small door.
I thought $499.00 was a bit high. Is it? How's this smoker working for you?

SmokyOkie
10-26-2009, 09:42 PM
What smoker are you talking about Lou? The WSM?

If so, I have only cooked on it a handful of times. It is a great smoker, I just really don;t have need for it.

The door is not for food. It is only for adding water/charcoal/wood.

If you want to access the food, you take the lid off.

If you decide you want one, i have one for sale at a discount.

BA_LoKo
10-26-2009, 10:16 PM

If so, I have only cooked on it a handful of times. It is a great smoker, I just really don;t have need for it.

I'll give you $44.97. It would be for a very good cause. I promise to not ever cook Walmart meat in it.

:stir:

smokinok
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I was doing a search for a Weber Lid and ran across this site listed below. They have Brand New WSM # 731001, 22.5 grill for $ 282.15.

Search the outdoor area and put in Weber grill and it will be a few pages into the site under the weber search.

[ http://stuffforsale.tv/shop.php ]

Looks like an excellent price for a $ 499.00 grill.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2009, 10:00 PM
I was doing a search for a Weber Lid and ran across this site listed below. They have Brand New WSM # 731001, 22.5 grill for $ 282.15.

Search the outdoor area and put in Weber grill and it will be a few pages into the site under the weber search.

[ http://stuffforsale.tv/shop.php ]

Looks like an excellent price for a $ 499.00 grill.

that's a heckuva deal! If you want one though, I'll sell you mine for $300 and you'd save the freight.

THIS (http://stuffforsale.tv/shop.php?c=Outdoor&n=286168&i=B000RL2ZGO&x=Oregon_Scientific_AW131_Grill_Right_Wireless_Tal king_OvenBarbeque_Thermometer) is a great price for the OS AW-131 too.

silver-bullet
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Yup the WSM. Went to look @ some snow blowers & those were in the corner & so I looked @ them just for chits & giggles. I figured that was what the door was for & on the smaller one had a real small door you couldn't hardly fit a hand in there not to mention trying to feed some charcoal & wood through it.
I thought it was a bit pricy for what it was. If I were in the market for a different smoker other than my Traeger. I would probably build an UDS It probably works similar for a fraction of cost.

SmokyOkie
10-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Yup the WSM. Went to look @ some snow blowers & those were in the corner & so I looked @ them just for chits & giggles. I figured that was what the door was for & on the smaller one had a real small door you couldn't hardly fit a hand in there not to mention trying to feed some charcoal & wood through it.
I thought it was a bit pricy for what it was. If I were in the market for a different smoker other than my Traeger. I would probably build an UDS It probably works similar for a fraction of cost.

Better!