PDA

View Full Version : SB Shrimp

BigAL
02-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Well, for the game tonight it sounds like the usual........w/less beef/pork. Groc didn't have artichokes that looked worth a hoot, and the kids want shrimp. So, just some nachos(pretty plain as the kids don't like "stuff" on their nachos:shrug:), cucumbers plain and in vinegar, and plenty of shrimp.

For the shrimp, we have some U12's and some 21-30's(if I remember right) frozen/raw/devein'd/shell on. Mostly for shrimp cocktail, but we also like them made similar to mussels provencal, w/beer rather than wine(tasted better to us anyway). They don't want anything w/smoke in it, they are "tired" of smoke.........jerks!:msn-wink::D

All shrimp I brine, makes a big difference. I use 1/4C k.salt, 1/4C sugar, 1C water, 2C ice; and brine for about 20-30min. (Got this from Alton brown). We have 4#'s so I'll probably boil some, fry some, and "provencal" some. The ones for shrimp cocktail will go in an ice bath to stop the cook'n and cool off for dipp'n in "home-made" cocktail sauce.(I also got from AB).

Cocktail sauce was made last night, and is really good, much better than the store. Its:
1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained very well
1/2 C chili sauce
4 Tbs prepared horseradish sauce
1tsp sugar
1/2 tsp each of k.salt, blk pepper
put in food proc and let it go a bit.

I'm open to other suggestions on the sauce, and shrimp....(wink, wink, nudge, nudge....gulf coast guys/gals:msn-wink:)

Here is a vid of mussels provencal, I just use shrimp and beer and celery(can't remember if it's in the vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_NiFz15IU

For AB vid, u-tube search Alton brown good eats shrimp cocktail

later
BTW, I'm not enter'n the comp and if there is anything you want to use here, thats fine w/me. Pointless for me as there won't be any smoke today.:blushing:

BYBBQ
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
That sounds like it's gonna be some great eatin' later.:drooling:

I make a similar cocktail sauce but use tomato puree instead of diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup of chili sauce, 2 Tbls. Worcestershire sauce, 1 clove of garlic ( squeezed through a garlic press ), 2 Tbls. of lemon or lime juice, a couple dashes of Cholula hot sauce, 4-5 Tbls. of ground horseradish ( not prepared), and a little salt and pepper. run it in a blender or food processor for a bit.

Those nice big shrimp, we like to grill them basted with a butter, garlic, and lemon or lime juice baste.:woohoo: