PDA

View Full Version : Jane, where are you??

Bud's BBQ
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Come on Jane, let's share your wonderful smoked cheese recipie. We sure enjoyed it last year.

SmokyOkie
01-17-2008, 10:24 AM
When I got there the cheese was all gone. Are you the one that ate it all?

Here's what I do:

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/smoked%20cheese/smokedcheeseturkeyfriesgrilledas-1.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/smoked%20cheese/smokedcheeseturkeyfriesgrilledas-2.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/smoked%20cheese/smokedcheeseturkeyfriesgrilledas-3.jpg

Dry chips, keep it under 100*, keep smoke thin by covering smoke box if necessary, the longer and thinner you smoke, the better it is.

A couple months in a foodsaver bag in the freezer mellows it out as well.

peculiarmike
01-18-2008, 04:03 AM
We smoke it in the Turbo Cold Smoker. 3-4 lit briquettes in the ECB with a handful of wood chips on top. Only time I ever use chips.
The "Turbo" is the little 12V DC fan from Radio Shack powered by a small converter. Rest came from Lowe's.
Ain't that ECB a beaut??? 1975.

SmokyOkie
01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Soooooooooweet. I gotta know a little more about this. are there holes in the tub so that the smokepasses thru, or does it just dead end right there. Is the fan temp rated, and how exactly is it powered (more detail).

BTW, were you really still up @ 3:00 am to post this, or do you have your time set wrong in you profile?

ultramag
01-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Soooooooooweet. I gotta know a little more about this. are there holes in the tub so that the smokepasses thru, or does it just dead end right there. Is the fan temp rated, and how exactly is it powered (more detail).

BTW, were you really still up @ 3:00 am to post this, or do you have your time set wrong in you profile?

Mike, even though I've saw the set-up up close and personal I still of some questions as well. I have an old ECB that might be up to the task. You ought to post us a more detailed description and pics of the set-up in the Cold Smoking section.

SmokyOkie
01-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, what he said.

peculiarmike
01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Bud, Jane says she is not the "Head Smoker", just the helper. And she is too busy working and going to school so she can support me and my habits and hobbys. :D

(Hey, I bring in two checks a month! This retirement thing WORKS! :cool:)

Geek with Fire
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
So I'm still curious how you know when the cheese is done? I'm assuming the answer is....."it depends". So what does it depend on? I'm guessing the 3 obvious are: the kind of wood, the kind of cheese, and the dude eatin it. Any baselines to follow?

SmokyOkie
01-30-2008, 11:37 AM
You're right josh, it's totally subjective. Since you're not cooking the cheese, it's all a matter of how smoky you want it.

The only thing I might add is to apply the smoke thinly. In cold smoking creosote plates out very easily on the cold surfaces of the food.

You might look for a good sale on small blocks of generic cheese and experiment. That way you don't lose much if you over smoke it. Fro that matter, if you think it's too smoky, you can always pare off the outer layer and start again.

Also remember that the smoke mellows as the cheese continues to age, so if its too strong at first, it may not be in a few days.

Geek with Fire
01-30-2008, 11:49 AM
...clipped...
You might look for a good sale on small blocks of generic cheese and experiment. That way you don't lose much if you over smoke it. Fro that matter, if you think it's too smoky, you can always pare off the outer layer and start again.

Also remember that the smoke mellows as the cheese continues to age, so if its too strong at first, it may not be in a few days.

So a couple of questions:
I might try some colby jack this weekend; smaller blocks as you mentioned. I think I can keep the rig around 100 degrees. What's a good smoke time to start with? I have apple that I can make some small chunks out of, and I think I have a bag of cherry chips. Would either of them sound like a good combo with cheese?

Also, is it a good or bad idea to gently wash the cheese after it's been smoked, just to make sure it doesn't get bitter? I mean, I plan on letting it rest in the fridge overnight, but thought washing might help for a more mellow flavor.

Fatboy
01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I like chips, the amount of smoke is easier to control. I also like 95-100*.

I wouldn't wash it. The oils in the cheese come to the top a little and seem to help distribute the smoke. Why not just smoke it gently for a while, take a bite, and proceed from there. It really is a matter of how thick a smoke you use, and I don't really know any way to quantify that.

I know of people that smoke it for 2 days or more, but I generally don't go much more than 3 or 4 hours wi intermittant doses of smoke.

peculiarmike
01-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I smoke mine 1-2 hours, usually with hickory, sometimes cherry. Get good smoky flavor. If you put the smoked cheese in a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge a week or so it will intensify the smoke flavor. Vac sealing it and leaving it a month or so gives you more. It's not strong, fairly mellow.
Eats most fine with smoked baloney and snack crackers. And, of course, "something cool to drink". :D

californiasmokin
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Very interesting thread.:thumbs up: