PDA

View Full Version : how long?

JohnnyReb
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
how long does smoked chicken last in the fridge...i have some that was cooked last saturday (the 24th) is it still good?

Joneser
01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
I'd probably eat it.....

redneck cooker
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont think there would be a problem with it, bbe cold all the time...I'd probably eat it too!!:msn-wink:

Willkat98
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
nuke it

warms and kills at the same time!

SmokyOkie
01-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Let us know if you get sick.:shrug:

You should be just fine!:thumbs up:

cabinetmaker
01-30-2009, 08:43 AM
I have been sick twice in the last two years from chicken that had been in the frig for 6 days ( I keep the frig cold enough to freeze water in the back). After those two gut wrenching experiences, four days is my rule.:ack2:

SmokyOkie
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
That was more than likely due to what it did before it went in the fridge or how it was placed in there. If it's placed in the fridge while still hot and then in a manner that doesn't allow enough air circulation to cool it quickly enough it can spend too long in the danger zone.

Personally, I don't like chicken that is more than a couple days past being cooked.

Dysartsmoker
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM
It lasts about 30 minutes around our house sometimes less
:twocents::twocents::twocents:

chef schwantz
01-30-2009, 05:16 PM
This is the official position in Minnesota. I'll cut the BS. Assuming that the chicken was cooled properly, and was maintained at a temp of 41F or less the whole time, It would be "legal" to serve for 7 days from the day it was initially prepared. If you elect to reheat it, you must reheat to a minimum of 165F prior to service.

tonto1117
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
That was more than likely due to what it did before it went in the fridge or how it was placed in there. If it's placed in the fridge while still hot and then in a manner that doesn't allow enough air circulation to cool it quickly enough it can spend too long in the danger zone.

Personally, I don't like chicken that is more than a couple days past being cooked.

:whathesaid: Chicken is cheap...why take the chance. I tend to vac seal down everything after it's cooled and feel a bit safer that way also.

This is the official position in Minnesota. I'll cut the BS. Assuming that the chicken was cooled properly, and was maintained at a temp of 41F or less the whole time, It would be "legal" to serve for 7 days from the day it was initially prepared. If you elect to reheat it, you must reheat to a minimum of 165F prior to service.

Didn't know that...would like to think a restaurant I'm eating at isn't serving week old chicken either.

chef schwantz
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Thats the law according to where I work. Whats even scarier is as long as you keep the Hot holding temp above 140F, you can leave it in a warmer that long as well.:twocents::twocents:

tonto1117
01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Thats the law according to where I work. Whats even scarier is as long as you keep the Hot holding temp above 140F, you can leave it in a warmer that long as well.:twocents::twocents:

:wow: If I'm understanding you correctly.....you can keep a piece of cooked chicken a week if it's held at 140* or above??? What the heck does a week old piece of chicken look like..or tasta like after that....yikes...lol.

JohnnyReb
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
i put the chicken in the frige warm

what is a safe cool down temp? why would it be in the danger zone to long if i friged it warm ? why wouldnt it be in the danger zone on the counter waiting to cool down?

im not gonna eat it cause i dont wanna spend the weekend on and over the toilet or both at the same time ( bucket in front mod) :blushing:

SmokyOkie
01-30-2009, 10:40 PM
:wow: If I'm understanding you correctly.....you can keep a piece of cooked chicken a week if it's held at 140* or above??? What the heck does a week old piece of chicken look like..or tasta like after that....yikes...lol.

I ain't eating a 3 day old piece of YB, let alone week old piece!

what is a safe cool down temp? why would it be in the danger zone to long if i friged it warm ? why wouldnt it be in the danger zone on the counter waiting to cool down?

im not gonna eat it cause i dont wanna spend the weekend on and over the toilet or both at the same time ( bucket in front mod) :blushing:

I would've pitched it a long time before belaboring it to this extent. Crap, YB is cheap, and cooking is fun. Pitching the old piece is a good excuse to run to the store, buy some more, and cook it ( hopefully with a whole new twist to it.)

chef schwantz
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Probably a wise choice. We suggest when cooling large cuts of cooked meat, that you at least break it down into smaller pieces or bone it out, and spread it out in shallow layers to promote even cooling. Listeria and Staph are just a couple that like to grow in conditions that you describe, as well as Clostridium, which is the bacteria responsible for Botulisim. Some of the stuff I see on the job makes me not want to eat anything I didn't personally grow, harvest and prepare myself. I'm sure you all have heard about the peanut butter mess.:twocents::twocents:

Jake
01-31-2009, 05:42 PM

:whathesaid:

think of the simpsons at the quickee mart and the hot dog homer eats :roflmaoha0:

Probably a wise choice. We suggest when cooling large cuts of cooked meat, that you at least break it down into smaller pieces or bone it out, and spread it out in shallow layers to promote even cooling. Listeria and Staph are just a couple that like to grow in conditions that you describe, as well as Clostridium, which is the bacteria responsible for Botulisim. Some of the stuff I see on the job makes me not want to eat anything I didn't personally grow, harvest and prepare myself. I'm sure you all have heard about the peanut butter mess.:twocents::twocents:
:whathesaid:just like going through a audit a work :smack: :roflmaoha0: and that stinking p/b mess has been the result to numerous recalls. waht a pain in the :censored2:

i like left overs :blushing: makes great lunchs, pip on the other hand (she is getting better), has been known to not even keep anything after we eat.

chef schwantz
01-31-2009, 07:24 PM
just like going through a audit a work :smack: :roflmaoha0: and that stinking p/b mess has been the result to numerous recalls. waht a pain in the :censored2:

You think an audit is bad for you Jake, try having to go to multiple stores and verifying they have taken multiple products off the shelves, then going back to the same stores a couple days later and doing it all over again because the list has doubled in size again. Each visit requires 3 different forms for different agencies involved in this peanut thing.

BA_LoKo
01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Job security, huh? We could all use that right now.:msn-wink:

Jake
01-31-2009, 07:49 PM
just like going through a audit a work :smack: :roflmaoha0: and that stinking p/b mess has been the result to numerous recalls. waht a pain in the :censored2:

You think an audit is bad for you Jake, try having to go to multiple stores and verifying they have taken multiple products off the shelves, then going back to the same stores a couple days later and doing it all over again because the list has doubled in size again. Each visit requires 3 different forms for different agencies involved in this peanut thing.

i just had the cfia come and check on our recalls (p/b ones) anytime one comes down we have a zillion reports to do then we have a 7 day check list to go back and verify everyday nothing came back in or put out, not to mention you have to sign your name on it a hundred times and if you signed it you better hope you checked it, then it has to be in the recall binder :ack2: so many latley too i think last year i had 3-4 binders full, and this year is going to be worse with the whole p/b thing and china to boot