PDA

View Full Version : Braised Beef Short Ribs

SmokyOkie
01-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, It was an Ice storm day, and it is beef...and it is ribs.

You all know how it is, weather like this begets a craving for comfort food, so I did this:

About 3# of beef short ribs browned in bacon grease with a little salt and pepper and a light dusting of flour

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2032.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2033.jpg

I browned a little mirepoix in the grease after draining most of it off, then deglazed with brandy and red wine, then added a little boquet garni of celery leaves, oregano and rosemary. I would like to have a little thyme, but didn't so I added a little dry thyme later.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2035.jpg

All tied up

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2036.jpg

here it is right before the taters, parsnips,l carrots and shrooms were added.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2038.jpg

And when done, on the platter and topped with some sauce and chopped scallions.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2040.jpg

And for those w/o High rez taste 'o' vision, here's a close up

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Braised%20short%20ribs%20Jan%202009/HPIM2042.jpg

Cacus
01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
That looks good Okie.

Buzzards Roost
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I think I'd hit that.....more than once:drooling:

SmokyOkie
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
I did.:blushing:

Buzzards Roost
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I knew, I knew, I knew:tap:

BYBBQ
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Looks real good.:thumbs up: Great comfort food on a cold day.:thumbs up:

Jake
01-28-2009, 01:51 AM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

first i got to say it looks dang awesome :drooling:
second i got to say pips pissed at you cause that was what she was going to do tomorrow :roflmaoha0: honest no chit now shes mad cause she cant, look out my friend i may take the brunt of it but she can go off bang. :msn-wink:
third i guess i gotta say dang it, now im not gonna get it :shrug:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now i'm in poo cause apparently i had some beers and told pip she couldn't touch the beef ribs (cause she wanted to do them in the oven) im not going to go on cause i know shes off tomorrow so i will defend myself then :msn-wink: stinking oven :ack2:

Fatback Joe
01-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Very nice!

crewdawg52
01-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Looks like the Dawg gotta try braising shorties now. Great looks and color! :cheer:

Bassman
01-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Tim, that looks just great!! :kewlpics:Thanks for the Qview.

californiasmokin
01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
:wow: That is a great looking meal!

cowgirl
01-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Tim, those look fantastic!! Dibs on any leftovers.

SmokyOkie
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Tim, those look fantastic!! Dibs on any leftovers.

I think the Okette may have beat you to them Jeannie.

Thanx for the kudos folks. Just more of my food A.D.D. hard at work again.

Jake,just tell Pippa I said that she could prolly do them better than me.

Pippa
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks smoky you're so nice......... I didn't realize I was going to use the wrong ribs (I don't know as much about types of meat as Jake does :shrug:).... i'll give them a try at some point and let you know how they turn out :msn-wink:

erain
01-28-2009, 01:06 PM
tim, awesome looking short ribs!!! just got half a beef from my bro in law(never had beef in my freezer before in my life-always venison) and all these packs of short ribs..... well yano where some are going. great plated pic, thks!!!!

Chargrilled
01-28-2009, 02:34 PM
MMMMMMMM I can smell the aromatics creapin through the screen now, nice ADD at work there my friend. All sorts of love goin on there!!!:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
01-28-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks smoky you're so nice......... I didn't realize I was going to use the wrong ribs (I don't know as much about types of meat as Jake does :shrug:).... i'll give them a try at some point and let you know how they turn out :msn-wink:

What Jake had there was back ribs. You could certainly have braised them, but they are a higher grade cut than that. They are what you get if you remove the rib eye from a standing rib roast, and the meat texture is very similar in texture and flavor to prime rib.

Short ribs on the other hand are more similar to chuck. They are coarser grained and tougher and thus require braising or some other slow and low cooking method.

think of it like this. Back ribs ( whether pork or beef) are the part of you rib that starts on your side and goes all the way back to your spine. Spare ribs ( pork) and short ribs or plate, are the part of your ribs that start on your side and go around to your sternum and belly.

In beef, the chuck and brisket sit on top of the short ot plate ribs.

Given the size of the beef ribs versus the pork ribs, pork spare ribs are generally left whole or trimmed to St Louis style ribs.

The beef on the other hand are usually cut into shorter, easuer to manage sections.

If you want to do short ribs, look for the leaner one that are trimmed of all external fat. They will have plenty of internal fat.

Also, be sure to use bone in product. there is a whole lot of richness and flavor in dem dere bones.

Pippa
01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
[quote=Pippa;27664]

What Jake had there was back ribs. You could certainly have braised them, but they are a higher grade cut than that. They are what you get if you remove the rib eye from a standing rib roast, and the meat texture is very similar in texture and flavor to prime rib.

Short ribs on the other hand are more similar to chuck. They are coarser grained and tougher and thus require braising or some other slow and low cooking method.

think of it like this. Back ribs ( whether pork or beef) are the part of you rib that starts on your side and goes all the way back to your spine. Spare ribs ( pork) and short ribs or plate, are the part of your ribs that start on your side and go around to your sternum and belly.

In beef, the chuck and brisket sit on top of the short ot plate ribs.

Given the size of the beef ribs versus the pork ribs, pork spare ribs are generally left whole or trimmed to St Louis style ribs.

The beef on the other hand are usually cut into shorter, easuer to manage sections.

If you want to do short ribs, look for the leaner one that are trimmed of all external fat. They will have plenty of internal fat.

Also, be sure to use bone in product. there is a whole lot of richness and flavor in dem dere bones.

Thanks smoky...... i really think i am going to give these a try. I only thought to use the back ribs because i love the way the bones from a prime rib taste so I thought they would be so good. I guess I'll use the other one's and see what happens:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
If you like prime rib, then you ought to do those ribs med rare to medium.

unclelchap
01-28-2009, 10:47 PM
okie those ribs look ridiculous! i love it! i need to get on your level bro!

absolutely beautifu!

Jake
01-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Jake,just tell Pippa I said that she could prolly do them better than me.[/quote]

Thanks smoky you're so nice......... I didn't realize I was going to use the wrong ribs (I don't know as much about types of meat as Jake does :shrug:).... i'll give them a try at some point and let you know how they turn out :msn-wink:[/quote]

:tap: still waiting pippa :msn-wink: :drooling: :roflmaoha0:

Pippa
01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
If you like prime rib, then you ought to do those ribs med rare to medium.

okey dokey smoky... will do :msn-wink: :thumbs up:

Siesta Man
02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Way to go Tim, My kind of cold weather food. Can't think of a better way to spend an icy day. Have you any word about our friends that were caught in this ice storm? Hope all are well. Prayers be with everyone. E.T.

Jake
02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Way to go Tim, My kind of cold weather food. Can't think of a better way to spend an icy day. Have you any word about our friends that were caught in this ice storm? Hope all are well. Prayers be with everyone. E.T.

did i miss that post whos caught in a ice storm, hope they are ok

Siesta Man
02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
did i miss that post whos caught in a ice storm, hope they are ok

Jake, I was looking at the pin map of the locations of a lot of our queing friends on this forum and thought that Tim might have heard if all were ok since he is in contact with them more the I. E.T.

BA_LoKo
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM
We all are okay here. To my knowledge, none of the local forum members lost power or had any damage. Folks out east didn't fare so well. I don't know if we've got members out towards Kentucky and Tennessee, but our thoughts will continue to be with them as many are still without power and trying to put things back together. Their ice storm out there was much worse than what we had here.