PDA

View Full Version : Okie Chicken Fry

SmokyOkie
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
OK, don't look at me, Chuck made me do it!

After looking at Chuck's chicken fries, I decided I needed to have one for dinner, and I don;t think chuck would come up here to cook them for me so I thought I'd try it myself.

I had tried them before, but never yeilded the kind of crust I thought I wanted so this was a challenge.

To start off, I bought this

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1976.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1977.jpg

folks had told me that lard made the difference, and after tonight, I believe them.

Then, I bought two packs of these

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1969.jpg

Here's the set up I used, a wet tray and a dry tray

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1965.jpg

I gave a good flour dredge first ( seasoned wheat and corn flour), making sure to get the flour well in between the cuts from the cubing

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1966.jpg

Then i gave them a good bath in the egg wash ( sorry, hands were too messy to take pix of this part.

After that, once again through the flour and then a little extra flour on top and into the fridge

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1972.jpg

After about 15 minutes in the fridge, I gave themm another quick flour dredge just to recoat the wet looking parts.

While the crust was setting up on the meat, I cut some fries and shucked some corn

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1975.jpg

then into the pan went the meat

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1981.jpg

Fried up four of them and then made the gravy

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1982.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1983.jpg

A little lime waswabi chili aioli on the corn, and here's what we had

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Chicken%20fry%20Jan%202009/HPIM1984.jpg

Best chicken fry I ever made. Thanx for the tips Chuck!

Butt Lover's
01-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Looks good Tim...guess what I am going to cook this weekend ;)

chef schwantz
01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Gotta love that crispy goodness that only lard can bring.:eating:

Short One
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM
:thumbs up::essen::shrug::tap:Good looking cook there,Tim. BUT, I double checked my mail and answering machine and can't believe I didn't get an invitation to such a good looking meal. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: Good job and lard does make a difference.

chef schwantz
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
You think that CFS was good fried in lard, you should try bber battered fish.:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

JamesB
01-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Great looking CFS! I do like to use lard, but we usually just use Crisco... Next time ya give it a go, add a couple of tablespoons of clean bacon grease to the lard... yum!

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
01-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Heart attack material Tim:smack: :roflmaoha0:

Fatback Joe
01-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Mmmmmmm...........lard :drooling:

Smokin Bill
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
A real fine heart stopper delight.

Chargrilled
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
look fantastic Tim, how hot was the grease???

That gravy looks outta this world!!!!

Willkat98
01-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Another lard newbie question:

Does using lard make the house smell?

I know my house smells like peanut oil for a day when I use that for frying, and was wondering about how the lard was.

Anything to stop the wife beotching

GoFish
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
:smack:Damn all you folks doing CFS! Now I gotta try this ....... That looks awesome, bravo.

Tim, do you mind sharing that gravy recipe? Do you have a french fry cutter or were those babies the work of your precision knife skills?

SmokyOkie
01-21-2009, 11:03 AM
:smack:Damn all you folks doing CFS! Now I gotta try this ....... That looks awesome, bravo.

Tim, do you mind sharing that gravy recipe? Do you have a french fry cutter or were those babies the work of your precision knife skills?

Gravy is easy. Drain most of the grease leaving a the little brown bits. Toss in a couple or three T. flour and brown it until you're afraid that the brown bits might scorch ( I like a peanut butter colored roux)

Add milk as need to desired consistency. (hint, cream is richer) salt and fresh ground pepper to taste. Pepper really makes it. I also added a little BV liquid beefer upper for a little extra beefiness ( is that a word, it should be) If you add buollion, be sure to add it before you add salt.

Do the same thing for sausage gravy. Just make the grqavy then add chunks 'o' sausage.

Another lard newbie question:

Does using lard make the house smell?

I know my house smells like peanut oil for a day when I use that for frying, and was wondering about how the lard was.

Anything to stop the wife beotching

A little, but not that bad. I always leave the downdraft on overnight after cooking anything that leaves a smell. Most anything you cook that has a lot of flavor will leave a smell, even pot roast.

Great looking CFS! I do like to use lard, but we usually just use Crisco... Next time ya give it a go, add a couple of tablespoons of clean bacon grease to the lard... yum!

Clean bacon grease...wouldn't that be lard?:shrug::msn-wink:

Heart attack material Tim:smack: :roflmaoha0:

I choose to subscribe to the latest findings of the medical/dietary research community that says that the cholesterol you eat has no bearing on the amount of cholesterol in your bloodstream. Their findings are that there is absolutely no mechanism by which the cholesterol can go from your digestive system to your circulatory system. Now, high cholesterol due to obesity.....:msn-wink:

GoFish
01-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Do you have a french fry cutter or were those babies the work of your precision knife skills?

?? Don't be shy :roflmaoha0:

Smokin Bill
01-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Fries look to precise to be freehand; it's either a fry cutter or a mandolin with it's biggest attachment.

Hey guys a tip on the corn on the cob, steam them in beer and you'll not need any fixens.

SmokyOkie
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM
?? Don't be shy :roflmaoha0:

Mandolin. I'd like to have a commercial FF cutter, but I really don;t know where I'd store it. I do know that I can't stand uneven cut fries though.:blushing:

Fries look to precise to be freehand; it's either a fry cutter or a mandolin with it's biggest attachment.

Hey guys a tip on the corn on the cob, steam them in beer and you'll not need any fixens.

I'm not talking about need, I'm talking about want.

If you've never had good corn slathered in a wasabi lime chili aioli, then sprinkled with parmigiano reggiano and coarse ground telicherry pepper, then you need to.

nascarchuck
01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey Tim... That CFS looks gooooood! I'm ready for some more!

Looks like we need a CFS cookoff!

SmokyOkie
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Hey Tim... That CFS looks gooooood! I'm ready for some more!

Looks like we need a CFS cookoff!

I'm not fool enough to take a challenge from the master.

I'm just the CFS 'grasshopper'.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

nascarchuck
01-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not fool enough to take a challenge from the master.

I'm just the CFS 'grasshopper'.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: Master! Yeah right!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

After re-reading that, I guess that it did sound like a one on one challenge. I meant a Q Joint CFS cookoff!!!

Smokin Bill
01-21-2009, 10:42 PM
If you've never had good corn slathered in a wasabi lime chili aioli, then sprinkled with parmigiano reggiano and coarse ground telicherry pepper, then you need to.

What is that stuff; is it food?D@

JamesB
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Clean bacon grease...wouldn't that be lard?

Technically? Maybe... the clean bacon grease still tastes like bacon. Lard tastes like well... not that much. By clean, I mean without any of the burnt bits from the bottom of the pan ya fried the bacon in. I strain the bacon grease through a filter then keep in a jar in the fridge... good for gravy!

peculiarmike
01-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Nice CFS brother Okie! Nice!
A KC chicken joint that started as a roadhouse back in the early 30's, Stroud's, fries in half lard, half veg. oil. They make killer fried whatever you want, chicken, CFS, etc.
Their motto: "We choke our own chickens".
You can get the tee shirt.

Joneser
01-22-2009, 07:42 AM
A little lime wasabi chili aioli on the corn
Where did you find a recipe for this...I've been looking for something to liven up corn besides S&P and butter. If it's a SmokyOkie original, would you be willing to share the recipe?

Gobbledot
01-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Tim might fine lookin grub you have perpared. I wished I could make the gravey look like that, I have never been able to make gravey worth eatting..

SmokyOkie
01-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Where did you find a recipe for this...I've been looking for something to liven up corn besides S&P and butter. If it's a SmokyOkie original, would you be willing to share the recipe?

I can't give you proportions cuz it's all up to your taste. You can make your own mayo and add garlic while the blender is running, then add the other ingredients by folding them in. I think Hellman s is good. Just take mayo ( or home made aioli), add finely crushed minced garlic, wasabi paste, lime juice ( if making home made aioli, just use lime juice in place of th elemon juice), ground chilis to taste ( I use med. Hatch, prolly Big Jim hybrid).

Then we slather the corn with it and sprinkle on grated Parm Regg.and black pepper.

Tim might fine lookin grub you have prepared. I wished I could make the gravy look like that, I have never been able to make gravy worth eating..

If you do what I describe earlier in the thread, you'll have gravy just like it.:msn-wink:

JohnnyReb
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
man that looks great we call it COUNTRY fried steak where im from but no matter the name id hit it

SmokyOkie
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I grew up in Illinois and was used to hearing it referred to as that. I always thought that was a northern thing, but evidently it's more of an eastern thing.

Chargrilled was telling me the other night that there is a difference between the two, but I can't remember what.

Hey Trav............

Smokin Bill
01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey Oakie, wouldn't it be the same if you just threw one of those steaks in a deep fryer?

SmokyOkie
01-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't think so Bill, this is a much more gentle fry, and the lard really does a job on it.

JohnnyReb
01-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Hey Oakie, wouldn't it be the same if you just threw one of those steaks in a deep fryer?

you wouldnt get all the good stuff for the gravy in a deep frier

SmokyOkie
01-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Excellent point as well JR!

I'll have to start pan frying my Twinkies in lard as well! MMMMM Hostess gravy!

Smokin Bill
01-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Excellent point as well JR!

I'll have to start pan frying my Twinkies in lard as well! MMMMM Hostess gravy!
Okie that's disgusting.:puke

SmokyOkie
01-25-2009, 09:20 PM
It's Okie Bill as in Oklahoma, not Oakie as in Oak tree.

Don't knock the twinkies if you haven't tried them. I haven't tried it, but i saw a show where they did it and folks raved about 'em

Smokin Bill
01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
I fixed the Okie, no harm intended; it's just natural for me to put the "A" in it.

Yea I saw that on Food Network before the they breaded it and deep fried it. Sounded good that way but the way you posted it sounded yucky.

SmokyOkie
01-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Spose maybe I was jokin':msn-wink:

Jake
01-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Anything to stop the wife beotching[/quote]

my weapon of choice is duct tape :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: