PDA

View Full Version : roadside chicken on the drum

JohnnyReb
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
cooked up some roadside chicken yesterday using royal oak and pecan for smoke, man they was good

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/mcockrell/008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/mcockrell/007-1.jpg

last picture i got a little flare up cause the lid was off to long

Chargrilled
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Looks tasty, tell me more!!!!!!! Roadside Chix, like this??

ROADSIDE CHICKEN
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup veg oil
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
1 TBS white sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt

JohnnyReb
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
yea thats it...good stuff

Chargrilled
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
And it appears you are cookin em on the lower grate. Give us some insight about the purpose, effect, turn out, have you done full chix that close to the fire also??

JohnnyReb
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
yea i cooked em on the bottom grate, it sits at 21" from the bottom of my charcoal basket and the top grate is at 25". I know this isnt standard drum procedure but it works for me

i like to use the bottom grate for my high temp stuff and larger items that wont fit on the top like hams and turkeys

lit a full chimney of royal oak and it shot it up to 250* , started out bone side down and hit em with the mix every 10-15 mins

the smell of the chicken juices and roadside mix hittin those coals was amazing

and yes i have done whole chix like that also heres the proof heh :msn-wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/mcockrell/chicken002.jpg

Joneser
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
We have roadside vendors here all the time in the summer for fundraisers and such. The company is called Nelsons and the sausage and porkchops they make are fantastic. I'm OK with the chicken, but prefer to make my own.
Well Done!

SmokyOkie
01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
yea i cooked em on the bottom grate, it sits at 21" from the bottom of my charcoal basket and the top grate is at 25". I know this isnt standard drum procedure but it works for me

i like to use the bottom grate for my high temp stuff and larger items that wont fit on the top like hams and turkeys

lit a full chimney of royal oak and it shot it up to 250* , started out bone side down and hit em with the mix every 10-15 mins

the smell of the chicken juices and roadside mix hittin those coals was amazing

and yes i have done whole chix like that also heres the proof heh :msn-wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/mcockrell/chicken002.jpg

The one on the right is stripping for us.:blushing:

Great lookin YB:thumbs up: What do you do with the mix, just spritz, or do you marinate it as well? If you just spritz, what , if anything do you season with?

JohnnyReb
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
The one on the right is stripping for us.:blushing:

Great lookin YB:thumbs up: What do you do with the mix, just spritz, or do you marinate it as well? If you just spritz, what , if anything do you season with?

just spritz it on every 10-15 mins, if you want to marinate with this mixture (chargrilled posted the recipe ) leave out the oil and throw away the marinade and make a fresh batch with the oil to spritz

i season it with a poultry rub i found in a magazine

1 cup Cavenders greek seasoning
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbs dried oregano

BYBBQ
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Looks very tasty.:drooling:

californiasmokin
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd eat it:thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
01-13-2009, 09:27 PM
just spritz it on every 10-15 mins, if you want to marinate with this mixture (chargrilled posted the recipe ) leave out the oil and throw away the marinade and make a fresh batch with the oil to spritz

i season it with a poultry rub i found in a magazine

1 cup Cavenders greek seasoning
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 cup paprika
3 tbs dried oregano

do you realize that if you leave out the paprika and the Caventers, then add salt and pepper, you're pretty close to Caventers?

peculiarmike
01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah! I like it! Chix on the drum ia big favorite around here. Turns out really moist and the flavor is so good!

JohnnyReb
01-14-2009, 05:29 AM
do you realize that if you leave out the paprika and the Caventers, then add salt and pepper, you're pretty close to Caventers?

thanks ...i do like cavenders but it has a little to much salt, i tred the salt free cavenders and its :censored2: NASTY

SmokyOkie
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Why not just make yourown and lighten up on the salt? Of course, you'll want to remember tht salt does make things taste good.:msn-wink:

Jake
01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
looks good to me

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
01-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Geeez, if thats what a roadside chook looks like, then what does a Road-kill chook look like....:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflm aoha0::roflmaoha0:, oh by the way, the birds do look deeeelishes :thumbs up:

Jake
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Geeez, if thats what a roadside chook looks like, then what does a Road-kill chook look like....:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflm aoha0::roflmaoha0:, oh by the way, the birds do look deeeelishes :thumbs up:
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: road kill is if i over do it:msn-wink: :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a great marinade to soak the chicken in for 1/2 a day...........add a whole diced up sweet white onion to that brine and you've got a winner.

Did you try it w/o the onion?

SmokyOkie
01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I just cut up a 15# choice grade boneless rib and vaccu sucked it last night too. I had to pay the high price of $4.28# for mine though.:msn-wink:

I finished dry aging a strip sirloin last week and cut it up over the weekend. I thin I paid $399# for it. I wonder what's up with all these subprimals showing up so cheap lately.:shrug:

I don't know, but I sure like it!

Jake
01-24-2009, 03:49 AM
depends on the place usually they buy in mass then go from there, if its cryo vacked they have a lot longer to play with until they open the bag, but sometimes its not always good, but if its on the up and up buy my friend buy
dang old supply and demand huh :msn-wink: , some chains will freeze it and then sell it after it sat in the counter when it comes to the date (we don't) meat prices always blow me away, i don't think they make sence half the time.
another note is the weather sucks everywhere and all these places bought xx quantity and now they are hung on it and have to get rid of it, better to get something then nothing

californiasmokin
11-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Good use of a lower grate!:thumbs up: