PDA

View Full Version : stumps gravity

tigman
01-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Can someone explain the Stumps gravity feed and how it works?? Wheres the fire upside down?? Over ash tray?? Help....Tig:tap:

Geek with Fire
01-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Can someone explain the Stumps gravity feed and how it works?? Wheres the fire upside down?? Over ash tray?? Help....Tig:tap:
I started to type something up, but video is so much better.
7n8AjmNU9hg

tigman
01-01-2009, 07:40 PM
hmmm pretty much what i guessed ..do you dump the lit "starter" coals from the top then fill hopper?? It never burns upward?? how big would you estmate the openings in the bottom of the hopper to be.....And you are trying to get me really excited by sending all of the other videos...LOL Tig

Fatback Joe
01-02-2009, 08:08 AM
hmmm pretty much what i guessed ..do you dump the lit "starter" coals from the top then fill hopper?? It never burns upward?? how big would you estmate the openings in the bottom of the hopper to be.....And you are trying to get me really excited by sending all of the other videos...LOL Tig

You can dump a chimey in and then unlit on top of it or just fill it up with unlit and light it with a torch or weed burner or something through the coal grate.

The chute for the coal is approx 4 x 4. It never burns up as long as you keep the lid closed.

PigCicles
01-02-2009, 09:01 AM
You can dump a chimey in and then unlit on top of it or just fill it up with unlit and light it with a torch or weed burner or something through the coal grate.

The chute for the coal is approx 4 x 4. It never burns up as long as you keep the lid closed.

Or drive with a fire still lit in the chute

Fatback Joe
01-02-2009, 09:25 AM

:blushing::blushing::blushing:

You don't need a fire, just a couple of day old coals.

smokin Jim
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
The charcoal chute is typically 6"x6" (4"x4" would be way too small) and some are slightly tapered outwards near the bottom. This is to help prevent charcoal hangups. The charcoal grate at the bottom is 1/2" dia rods and they are placed approx 1" apart, both ways. The opening into the cooking chamber will vary with the size of cooking chamber. My cooking chamber is 36"x36"x22" and the opening is 3"x5". I hope this helps some of you. As far as lighting the cooker, you can dump in a chimney of lit coals and then fill with unlit OR you can fill with unlit and light from the bottom with a weed burner or some other type of torch.

Fatback Joe
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM
some are slightly tapered outwards near the bottom. This is to help prevent charcoal hangups.

Definitely do this if you are building one.

I have an older model GF and it is it just a straight shot unlike the newer models. I never had trouble with briqs, but I have to watch some of the piece size of the lump or get the occasional bridge.

tigman
01-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks Guys if I can get someone to buy this new backwoods i have here I will be starting a NEW Fab job on a GF style smoker.. where did you guys get the rouxl insulation Jake..jeff

SmokyOkie
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Guys if I can get someone to buy this new backwoods i have here I will be starting a NEW Fab job on a GF style smoker.. where did you guys get the rouxl insulation Jake..jeff

Post it in the classifieds and in the swap shop forum.

I'll buy it if you want to sell it below wholesale.:msn-wink:

tigman
01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I lose money fast enough..LOL remember i paid retail..I may just light a fire and use it then sell it later unless i really love it..jeff

tigman
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
What do ya do if ya dont wanna burn it up when traveling after a smoke?? pull the charcoal grate and dump all then sort out hot stuff?? jeff

Fatback Joe
01-06-2009, 01:14 PM
What do ya do if ya dont wanna burn it up when traveling after a smoke?? pull the charcoal grate and dump all then sort out hot stuff?? jeff

That is what I do.

SmokyOkie
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Ah, but wouldn't an accomplished comp cooker know just about exactly how much to load in the first place?:misbehaving:

Sorry Joe, couldn't resist.:blushing:

Fatback Joe
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Ah, but wouldn't an accomplished comp cooker know just about exactly how much to load in the first place?:misbehaving:

Yes, an accomplished one would.......that is why I still have to dump some out. LOL

Bringin' The Heat
01-06-2009, 10:59 PM
For sure trust me on this one.:ack2::blushing::oops::censored2::tap:Still building the replacement.

SmokyOkie
01-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Couldn't you just smother the fire by closing off the ball valve, or are the Stumpers not that airtight?

I suppose a good feature to design in to a clone would be to make the fire grate where you could slide or drop it out, and make a cut door a little ways up the chute so that you could easily remove the unburnt fuel.

Fatback Joe
01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Couldn't you just smother the fire by closing off the ball valve, or are the Stumpers not that airtight?

I suppose a good feature to design in to a clone would be to make the fire grate where you could slide or drop it out, and make a cut door a little ways up the chute so that you could easily remove the unburnt fuel.

Closing the ball valve works. The problem comes in on loading up and getting on the road and forcing air down the exhaust before everything is out.

The charcoal grate in the Stumps does slide out.

williamzanzinger
01-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow, those stumps apear to be pretty good smokers. Im not sseing how the heat enters the cooking chamber just through absorbtion? or is there an opening between the two? Could probably burn kingsford in this unit without any off flavor problems huh? besides the ashh problems you might have the flavor of the coals wouldnt enter the chamber huh?

SmokyOkie
01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Closing the ball valve works. The problem comes in on loading up and getting on the road and forcing air down the exhaust before everything is out.

The charcoal grate in the Stumps does slide out.

Then if there was a door just a littl ways up the chute for removing unburnt fuel would make it easy, huh? I mean you could remove most of the duel then slide out the grate, drop the fire out, and down the road you'd go.

What I don't understand is if you got the fire totally smothered, how would forcing air down the stack re-ignite it?

Also, doesn't the stack shut off air tight? If not, it seems like it would be fairly easy to modify it to where it would.

Fatback Joe
01-07-2009, 11:32 AM
There is no damper or anything on the stack.

I sometimes just put a can over it, but before I get down the road I dump it just as a precaution.

Fatback Joe
01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Wow, those stumps apear to be pretty good smokers. Im not sseing how the heat enters the cooking chamber just through absorbtion? or is there an opening between the two? Could probably burn kingsford in this unit without any off flavor problems huh? besides the ashh problems you might have the flavor of the coals wouldnt enter the chamber huh?

There is an opening between the fire and the cook chamber with mess over it to keep coals from rolling in.

Kingsford works fine..........a bit much ash, but works.