PDA

View Full Version : Potato - Cheese Souffle' or Casserole

BYBBQ
12-24-2008, 07:12 PM
We make these all the time. They are easy to make and go with just about anything.:D

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t299/jsdesign1/Misc%201/anniversary/100_0842.jpg

The recipe below has both versions in it for making it a casserole or a Souffle'.

Potato - Cheese Souffle' or Casserole

4 Tbs of chopped onion
3 Tbs of melted butter
1 cup of milk
2 Tbs of flour
Salt and pepper
2 eggs separated
3 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup Sour cream
1 cup Shredded cheese - whatever flavor you like

1 Brown the onion in butter, add flour and then milk.
2 Add the remaining ingredients, egg yokes, and sauce to potatoes and mix well.
3 Then fold in beaten egg whites.
4 Bake in a greased oven dish or 4-6 Ramekins for about 25 - 30 minutes at 350F.

Cooking Tips

If mix is too stiff, add in more sour cream. seems to work better than adding in more milk

add in 2 more eggs for a fluffier souffle'

If you leave out the eggs and flour, cook it the same way and it will be a casserole instead of a souffle'.

I use the Ramekins. Take one of the cooked Ramekins, run a knife around the inside edges, then set a dinner plate upside down on the Ramekin, then holding them together turn them over and lift off the Ramekin.

These cook great in a smoker, just allow a little extra time.

Chargrilled
12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Dynomite, sounds luscious!!!!!!

JamesB
12-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Got this one copied for future (very near) use! Thanks!

Chargrilled
12-25-2008, 04:24 AM
These cook great in a smoker, just allow a little extra time.

Jim is that how you cooked the one pictured? If so how much extra time?

BYBBQ
12-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Jim is that how you cooked the one pictured? If so how much extra time?

If doing them in the smoker ( unless you're cooking at 350* ) they might take 5 - 10 minutes longer. On the grill cooking indirect, maybe 4-5 minutes. A lot of it you have to do by sight. If doing this as a Souffle', watch for the top melting and when it's done puffing up. The casserole ( I like these the best ) you just have to be sure the cheese is melted and the inside is hot (think of them as a twice baked potato in a Ramekin ).:D

californiasmokin
12-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Looks good Jim,
The shrimp and steak don't look too shabby either!

I like your idea of using the ramekins.

SmokyOkie
12-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I like the ramekin idea for individual servings. Thanx for the recipe and the tip!

Hey wonder if you used emmenthaler or gruyere and added a little nutmeg, ar what about a good generous helping of Maytag Bleu?

BYBBQ
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
I like the ramekin idea for individual servings. Thanx for the recipe and the tip!

Hey wonder if you used emmenthaler or gruyere and added a little nutmeg, ar what about a good generous helping of Maytag Bleu?

Just about any cheese will work. So go with what you like.:msn-wink: We mix crab or other seafood in these all the time.:D

Another one I like is to add chopped brisket or pulled pork and use hot pepper cheese.:woohoo::thumbs up:

Smokin Bill
12-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Ahhhh BYBBQ, thank you very much and after seeing the recipe, you bet they are good. Very high on my try list.