PDA

View Full Version : Pile of future jerky

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Here's what we did this morning. Looks like another big batch'o'jerky to me.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/ducks%20Dec%2008/HPIM1774.jpg

Chargrilled
12-23-2008, 04:03 PM
What a take my friend:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

How many shells did you go through??

Breastin out them geestiest??

try them stripped goose breasts wrapped round a water chestnut and wrapped in bacon. ummmmm:drooling:

soy marinade I believe with garlic salt or try that soy that you used on the bird the other nite!!

Looks like you got a couple of chuckers also, he11 rotiss them bad boyz! You huntin blinds, floating, water sheds, etc. etc.

BYBBQ
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Looks like a lot of good eats in the future. :drooling::drooling: Oh, the possibilities.:thumbs up:

Gunslinger
12-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Can you say........YUCK!!!
I hate water fowl.
Maybe I'd like it as jerky. I don't know.
Why don't you send me a strip, and if I like it, maybe I'll take up hunting them again.
Maybe I'll just make my way to Tulsa, and stop by the Okie ranch.
A couple years ago I bought a truck from local celeb, Steve Carbone. I never went to pick it up, and Steve is dead now. Maybe Steve Jr. still has my truck.

ultramag
12-23-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm 100% confident that UPS would deliver jerky to Missouri. :msn-wink::thumbs up:

JamesB
12-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Nice day at the pond? Looks like a great way to fill the freezer!

Chargrilled
12-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Never shot a bird, so I can't relate, but that seems like a hellll of alot of work once you pluck em, and gut em, and get all the birdshot out of them, and get the meat off them..........

don't get me wrong, I'll clean a trout or salmon, but dressing out a bird or even a deer seems like a lot of work for little rewards. call me ignorant. The bird hunt itself could be fun as I've got a couple pump and over/under shotguns and LOVE shooting skeet, but is it worth it for being a hunter/gatherer?

Be honest with ya Dave it really isnt that bad or take that long. We shot 7 squirrel the other day and I heard all kinds of folks winein bout how bad they were to clean. We had em all done cleaned and bagged in 15 min. Part of it I guess. Same way when we clean 75 pan fish after a trip on the ice. Lil refreshment, lil music, show me to the cleanin station. :msn-wink:

JamesB
12-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Be honest with ya Dave it really isnt that bad or take that long. We shot 7 squirrel the other day and I heard all kinds of folks winein bout how bad they were to clean. We had em all done cleaned and bagged in 15 min. Part of it I guess. Same way when we clean 75 pan fish after a trip on the ice. Lil refreshment, lil music, show me to the cleanin station. :msn-wink:

Yep, with hunting or fishing, it's just all part of the sport...

BA_LoKo
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Never shot a bird, so I can't relate, but that seems like a hellll of alot of work once you pluck em, and gut em, and get all the birdshot out of them, and get the meat off them..........

don't get me wrong, I'll clean a trout or salmon, but dressing out a bird or even a deer seems like a lot of work for little rewards. call me ignorant. The bird hunt itself could be fun as I've got a couple pump and over/under shotguns and LOVE shooting skeet, but is it worth it for being a hunter/gatherer?

Dave, you may be missing one of the greatest pleasures you'll ever know. The rewards, far and away, exceed the effort. Just think of the whole picture....time with loved ones, the challenge of the hunt, the enjoyment of the meat......I could go on. Give it a try. I think you'll be rewarded richly!

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 10:38 PM

We don't' pluck, gut or get the shot out. we peel the ducks and breast them out. The geese, we take the leg quarters as well.

I'm 100% confident that UPS would deliver jerky to Missouri. :msn-wink::thumbs up:

I think that can be achieved.:thumbs up:

Nice day at the pond? Looks like a great way to fill the freezer!

Bean field

Be honest with ya Dave it really isn't that bad or take that long. We shot 7 squirrel the other day

squirrels???

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Dave, you may be missing one of the greatest pleasures you'll ever know. The rewards, far and away, exceed the effort. Just think of the whole picture....time with loved ones, the challenge of the hunt, the enjoyment of the meat......I could go on. Give it a try. I think you'll be rewarded richly!

Those are some very good points Kev, but Dave atrikesw me as a potential adrenalin junkie, and I gotta tell you Dave, you've never experienced adrenaline until you'v e had a couple thousand ducks or geese working overhead making so much noise that you have to squint your eyes to keep from getting dizzy from the noise and then one by one all of a sudden they start dropping into the decoys faster than you can count 'em, all along with them never knowing you're there. Or if you've ever seen an eagle swoop down and catch a duck you just shot before it can hit the ground.

Nature holds more thrills than anything else in life for me, and there's nothing I know of that can help you experience it more than hunting.

peculiarmike
12-24-2008, 12:36 PM

You are absolutely correct! And the same truck could probably stop at both our locations. :D
I mean, someone unbiased needs to assess the quality of said jerky made from murdered birds. And, natch, report their findings here for all to read.

:thumbs up: :essen:

Gunslinger
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM

You are absolutely correct! And the same truck could probably stop at both our locations. :D
I mean, someone unbiased needs to assess the quality of said jerky made from murdered birds. And, natch, report their findings here for all to read.

:thumbs up: :essen:
Now wait a minute, I asked first. Besides the truck would have to come through here to get to you all.

californiasmokin
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Gunslinger,
Have you posted a pic of your Homemade smoker yet?I would love to see it.

Gunslinger
12-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Gunslinger,
Have you posted a pic of your Homemade smoker yet?I would love to see it.
I'll get it posted soon. When I do, I'll put it in the appropriate forum.