PDA

View Full Version : Turducken Questions?

Geek with Fire
12-22-2008, 02:40 PM
2 questions, for those who have done them (or for that matter, anyone who has suggestions):

1.) Given the amount of lube that the duck will generate, wouldn't it make sense to cook the thing stitches up (AKA, breast down). Otherwise, I'm guessing I will lose a ton. I'm not really concerned about skin presentation. As mentioned before, I'm not a skin eater, and the turducken test subjects aren't either.

2.) Every where you read about Turducken, they tell you 200 degrees for 12-14 hours. I know I know....highway to the danger zone. USDA says 325 for 4 hours, but the USDA has never done me any favors in the past. These are the same people that for years said to cook your bird to 180. If I keep my area clean and sanitized, cloroxing my cutlary and counter tops, could I maybe go half way to, say, 250 for (I'm guessing) 8-9 hours? I'm going to shove an 8" probe to the center of the bird and another in the breast. Will be aiming for 155 internal, coasting to 165.

This is all subject to me actually going through with it. I've been threatening for about 2 years to do one, to the point that my family is now taunting me. So with that said, I'd really rather not make anyone sick. (well, a couple of family members could use some throne time)

Any suggestion or sarcasm?

Fatback Joe
12-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Never done one, so I can' offer suggestions............your thinking is along the same lines as mine (you should be concerned LOL) so I can't even give the sarcasm. Hope it turns out well.

BTW We apparently share the same thoughts on the food police. It ain't like you bought hamburger from the guy with the chitty pickup with the freezer chained to the bed. :msn-wink:

Dysartsmoker
12-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Here is a link that might help

http://www.griesserspoon.com/turducken.html

SmokyOkie
12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
14-16 pound bird = 4 hours @ 375. I only have done them in the oven, And the rules say to cover it for 4 hours, then 1 hour uncovered to crisp it so I would say that if you smoke it you should do it in a pan, smoke for about an hour then cover for three, then uncover with light smoke for the last hour. If you use pork stuffing, you can take it to 145 in the middle of the stuffing and the turkey meat will be OK.

Are you building it yourself? Are you using meat stuffing or bread or rice?

I can give you a lot of tips if you like.

Would you like to give me a call?

Geek with Fire
12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
14-16 pound bird = 4 hours @ 375. I only have done them in the oven, And the rules say to cover it for 4 hours, then 1 hour uncovered to crisp it so I would say that if you smoke it you should do it in a pan, smoke for about an hour then cover for three, then uncover with light smoke for the last hour. If you use pork stuffing, you can take it to 145 in the middle of the stuffing and the turkey meat will be OK.

Are you building it yourself? Are you using meat stuffing or bread or rice?

I can give you a lot of tips if you like.

Would you like to give me a call?

Thanks for the offer Tim, but I'm one of those intraverted types that doesn't do well on the phone!

As far as the stuffing goes, I'm going non-cajun, and I'm going cheap/lazy a$$. I'm going to use a simple cornbread stuffing and spicy JD breakfast sausage. And I guess I assumed this that this is rigt, but I should ask: I plan to brown the sausage first (as I have read) with some green peppers and onions. Does all of this sound OK?

Geek with Fire
12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
BTW We apparently share the same thoughts on the food police. It ain't like you bought hamburger from the guy with the chitty pickup with the freezer chained to the bed. :msn-wink:

Yea, and he made me a good deal on a critter he said was duck, but it had a collar that read "Fluffy". Think I'll still be OK? :puke

SmokyOkie
12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Yea, and he made me a good deal on a critter he said was duck, but it had a collar that read "Fluffy". Think I'll still be OK? :puke

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Ii think you'll be disappointed if you don't use a strictly meat stuffing.

If you're building your own, I would suggest that if you're using a 12-14# bird , you should consider using onlt the breast of the duck. I did a 20# turky and could barely fit a fryer and a boneless whole 5# duck inside. You'll also lose a lot of the excess fat prollem that way.

Bottom line is we better see some pix-good or bad-either way!

Fatback Joe
12-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Bottom line is we better see some pix-good or bad-either way!

Yes, it is mandatory on this one. :D

Geek with Fire
12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
If you're building your own, I would suggest that if you're using a 12-14# bird , you should consider using onlt the breast of the duck. I did a 20# turky and could barely fit a fryer and a boneless whole 5# duck inside. You'll also lose a lot of the excess fat prollem that way.

I'm so lazy, I didn't even check to see what weight the birds came in as. I'll stuff whatever I can fit in there. I can tell right now, I a lazy bird boner (easy there Bill!), I'm going to cut the limbs from the duck and chicken, to make the boning process faster. I'm sure I'll be singing the "Fat man, in a little coat. Fat man, in a little coat." song.

There will be pictures.

Jake
12-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes, it is mandatory on this one. :D

:whathesaid: and smoky too, pics gotta hapen on this one, cant wait :thumbs up: