PDA

View Full Version : Check out This Butt!

californiasmokin
12-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Now that I have your attention!:roflmaoha0:
Sorry to disappoint you its just a post about me and my pork.

I used a slather this time.Next time i might try spritzing.

Rub on it.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/3699a23a.jpg

wrapped

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/30d8ed8c.jpg

In the drum

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/9acf5aca.jpg

Out of the drum

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/e09943dd.jpg

After I pulled it

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/0211fc9d.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TX Sandman
12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Troublemaker. :smack: :msn-wink:
:eating: Good stuff, Paul!

peculiarmike
12-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Dang! Pulled pork butt. Rats! :tap:

Looks mighty good though. :1987_food:

:D

Chargrilled
12-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Paul,

Good lookin pork. :thumbs up: Looks like that bark supplied a ton of flavor!!:msn-wink:

I use the apple juice sometimes with capt. morgan/rum mix. Turns out well, does add a lil different flavor to the equation. Also when foiling I sometimes spill a bit of the spritzing liquid into the pan.:msn-wink:

BYBBQ
12-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Bark looks good.:thumbs up: Some fine eating there.:msn-wink:

cabinetmaker
12-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Looks good from here Paul. I have three in the freeze. Might be time to thaw one out.:msn-wink::sign0092:

glued2it
12-18-2008, 10:08 AM
The funny thing is, I didn't take it any other way than it "being a Pork butt"

You know when people spend a lot of time in an an institution they become institutionalized.
they only know the ways and habits of the institution and not the outside world.

I guess after spending so much time discussing BBQ, I've become.....
"Barbacutionalized":monkey:

I like big butts and I cannot lie!

I haven't been a big fan of the slather but it's pretty good.
I always use a spritz. Usually Apple juice and Captin Morgans spiced rum.
(2/3 Aj 1/3CM)

It really gives the bark a good color and flavor. You can add some red pepper to spice it up if you like.

Can tell us more about cook temps and iternal temp?

Butt Lover's
12-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Good looking butt :)

californiasmokin
12-18-2008, 10:35 PM
I used this Rub from the link Joe posted in the link forum.

Bp's Butt Rub
2 tbl Salt
4 tbl Brown sugar
2 tbl ground cumin
2 tbl pepper flakes
1 tbl paprika
1 tbl ground Mustard
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground garlic
1 tsp thyme
Tasted alright to me but I don't have anything to compare it to because I have never had pulled pork till mine.:shrug:

I put it in the Drum about 8:30 at 225 and put it in the pan when it hit 140 internal.
I had a hard time maintaining a good temp.It was cold and windy and my drum has a door not the ball valve.
I used kinsgford lump with some mesquite for smoke .
I pulled from the smoker about 6:30 200 internal
I only tented it for 1 hour. had to clean the kitchen and go to bed.
The bone did not come out very easily.
Didn't even eat it for dinner last night as it got too late.
Thank you for the spritz ideas.

glued2it
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Bone not falling out?

It looks like the butt you had was about 7lbs.
Smoking at 225 would put you at about 10hr smoke, witch fits your time line.

Depending on your temperature fluctuations the time will vary.
You mentioned you had a hard time keeping the temp up.
So there may be factor of your "average" temp may have been lower than 225. especially with having a door instead of a ball valve.

I cook the butts around 260ish.

There is also the possibility of thermometer inaccuracy with the pit and/or the probe.

Note
We must remember that time is guide line and always cook to temp

There is also the cut off meat. When purchasing a butt you want a good thick snowy White fat cap and good marbling. I use a wiggle like message motion to find one that wiggles the most. Yes I'm still talking about pork the technique is about the same though.

I don't usually foil the butts till they reach 160 and the I pull them out about 190,double wrap with foil,wrap it towels a place in a cooler to rest for an hour or 2.

The bone normally Will have about an inch or so of pull back and slide right out.

The pic in the pan has a great looking bark but the butt itself does look a little firm. If that is the pan you cooked it in, There should be more fat in the bottom.

You did a good job and it's looks tasty. It looks like the pulled meat has a real good texture too.
All this talk about pulled pork is making me hungry.:drooling:

Jake
12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
good first outting paul, did you have it today now that you slept and worked?? looks dang good to me, butt (lol) im with you i never got to do one yet :blushing: soon as it thaws i will give her a go too :sign0092:

californiasmokin
12-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you for your help Jeremy!

Does it matter if you cook it fat cap up or down?
I started out fat cap up but turned it over for a while before I put it in the pan.I could smell the fat dripping into the fire.It smelled great but I think I might have cooked off too much.The fat cap did not seem very thick.
I bought 2 butts in a max vacuum sealed package don't think they move too much when packaged that way.

My temp did fluctuate quite a bit .I have rarely used my drum in winter so I was unprepared for the temp drops and I used lump for only my second time.It burns much cleaner but the lump is not uniform size like charcoal and without the valve burned quickly.caught me off guard a couple of times as my temp had dropped.The drum will sometimes burn hotter near the door so I think I should have paid attention to the bone side of the Butt being in that direction .

I appreciate your input!

SmokyOkie
12-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Bone not falling out?

It looks like the butt you had was about 7lbs.
Smoking at 225 would put you at about 10hr smoke, witch fits your time line.

Depending on your temperature fluctuations the time will vary.
You mentioned you had a hard time keeping the temp up.
So there may be factor of your "average" temp may have been lower than 225. especially with having a door instead of a ball valve.

I cook the butts around 260ish.

There is also the possibility of thermometer inaccuracy with the pit and/or the probe.

Note
We must remember that time is guide line and always cook to temp

There is also the cut off meat. When purchasing a butt you want a good thick snowy White fat cap and good marbling. I use a wiggle like message motion to find one that wiggles the most. Yes I'm still talking about pork the technique is about the same though.

I don't usually foil the butts till they reach 160 and the I pull them out about 190,double wrap with foil,wrap it towels a place in a cooler to rest for an hour or 2.

The bone normally Will have about an inch or so of pull back and slide right out.

The pic in the pan has a great looking bark but the butt itself does look a little firm. If that is the pan you cooked it in, There should be more fat in the bottom.

You did a good job and it's looks tasty. It looks like the pulled meat has a real good texture too.
All this talk about pulled pork is making me hungry.:drooling:

You talk like you think you know what you're talking about.:roflmaoha0:

Thank you for your help Jeremy!

Does it matter if you cook it fat cap up or down?
I started out fat cap up but turned it over for a while before I put it in the pan.I could smell the fat dripping into the fire.It smelled great but I think I might have cooked off too much.The fat cap did not seem very thick.
I bought 2 butts in a max vacuum sealed package don't think they move too much when packaged that way.

My temp did fluctuate quite a bit .I have rarely used my drum in winter so I was unprepared for the temp drops and I used lump for only my second time.It burns much cleaner but the lump is not uniform size like charcoal and without the valve burned quickly.caught me off guard a couple of times as my temp had dropped.The drum will sometimes burn hotter near the door so I think I should have paid attention to the bone side of the Butt being in that direction .

I appreciate your input!

Keep the fat side up. It self bastes the meat with that magic substance that we lovingly refer to as PORK FAT.:thumbs up:

Jake
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
WHAT .... in the winter.... talk to me when you have to wear pants, oh or a coat :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: winter you sob :msn-wink:

californiasmokin
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
WHAT .... in the winter.... talk to me when you have to wear pants, oh or a coat :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: winter you sob :msn-wink:

Why are you calling me a smoky Okie Brisket?:shrug:

What is that supposed to mean?

cabinetmaker
12-20-2008, 04:35 PM

:whathesaid:Thats exactly what I thought Paul.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Jake
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM

:whathesaid:Thats exactly what I thought Paul.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

oh come on guys... son of a beach :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: well close play with the beach part :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: and no i wasnt throwing that toward parents its just a saying :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
12-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I am doing another Butt today.Paying a little closer attention to it this time. When I put the Butt in the pan my temp jumped 50 degrees.I think the pan reflects the heat back on to my thermo giving me the impression that I am smoking at a much higher temp.Might explain some of the things that happened on this cook

SmokyOkie
12-30-2008, 11:34 AM
I am doing another Butt today.Paying a little closer attention to it this time. When I put the Butt in the pan my temp jumped 50 degrees.I think the pan reflects the heat back on to my thermo giving me the impression that I am smoking at a much higher temp.Might explain some of the things that happened on this cook

Perhaps more likely that the pan diverts the upward thermal current toward the thermo's tip and causes it to read more like a probe placed in the middle of the grate. Just my :twocents:

Jake
12-30-2008, 12:56 PM

keep us posted paul :roflmaoha0: no really do :thumbs up:

californiasmokin
12-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Perhaps more likely that the pan diverts the upward thermal current toward the thermo's tip and causes it to read more like a probe placed in the middle of the grate. Just my :twocents:

So I have about a 50 degree temp variance from middle to side of my drum.

SmokyOkie
12-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Not if you put the pan in it.:msn-wink:

I don't know Paul, but it sounds reasonable. I always use a thermometater in the middle right next to the meat when I drum sumthin' up, and it's always about a 50 difference.

californiasmokin
12-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Not if you put the pan in it.:msn-wink:

I don't know Paul, but it sounds reasonable. I always use a thermometater in the middle right next to the meat when I drum sumthin' up, and it's always about a 50 difference.

Thanks Tim