PDA

View Full Version : First deboned turkey on BBQ

BC_Boy
12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I'll be trying to cook my first deboned and rolled turkey on my BBQ this x-mas for my "new" in-laws and was looking for some tips/advice as I am definately a "babe in the woods" cooking a turkey this way.

My BBQ
Broil King Imperial 90 LP with rotiserary

The Turkey
20 lbs deboned rolled and tied no stuffing

My climate at x-mas most likely:
windy and minus 5 celcius

My questions
1) Do I use all the burners or just the back burner for the rotiserary?

2) What temp should I keep the BBQ at?

3) I've been told that it's 20 min for each pound (6+ hours) is this accurate?

4) What internal temperature am I looking for to know it is done?

5) What is the best type of meat thermometer and do I leave it in the bird while it's cooking or do I just check on it every so often?

6) How do I keep the turkey from getting "blackened" while cooking?

7) Do I let the turkey sit after cooking prior to carving and if so how long should it sit?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to BBQs but I really want to learn how to be a BBQ master rather than a babe in the woods! (lol)

:sign0092:

SmokyOkie
12-17-2008, 02:21 PM
I'll be trying to cook my first deboned and rolled turkey on my BBQ this x-mas for my "new" in-laws and was looking for some tips/advice as I am definately a "babe in the woods" cooking a turkey this way.

My BBQ
Broil King Imperial 90 LP with rotiserary

The Turkey
20 lbs deboned rolled and tied no stuffing

My climate at x-mas most likely:
windy and minus 5 celcius

My questions
1) Do I use all the burners or just the back burner for the rotiserary?

back burner is most likely infrared and will cook the bird just fine by itself, but turning one more burner on low will add more flavor by burning off the drippings of the meat I would consult your owner's manual though just to be sure.

2) What temp should I keep the BBQ at?

325 if you can, but I tend to doubt that you can with all that wind and low temps

3) I've been told that it's 20 min for each pound (6+ hours) is this accurate?

with your scenario, it would be very hard to know the exact amount of time. If you can hold 325, 20 minutes per pound would be about right.

4) What internal temperature am I looking for to know it is done?

5) What is the best type of meat thermometer and do I leave it in the bird while it's cooking or do I just check on it every so often?
I'm partial to the OS Aw 131 ( click on the Oregon scientific link in the supporting vendors box), but you will want to spot check the bird being as you will be rotissing it.

6) How do I keep the turkey from getting "blackened" while cooking?

It will not get blackened if you don't put a bunch of heat directly under it.

7) Do I let the turkey sit after cooking prior to carving and if so how long should it sit?

20-30 minutes under a foil tent

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to BBQs but I really want to learn how to be a BBQ master rather than a babe in the woods! (lol)

:sign0092:

Hope this gives you what yopu were looking for.

BTW, welcome to The Joint BC! Why don't you stop by the "C'mon in and sit down" forum and introduce yourself to everybody?

californiasmokin
12-17-2008, 02:40 PM
:sign0016: to the Joint!

Glad you jumped right in and posted instead of lurking!:thumbs up:

BC_Boy
12-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the information. It was a great help.