PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Portobello Soup

Chargrilled
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Just watched this episode this morning and HAVE to try this one. I love mushroom soup. This one if from Paula Dean's, On the Road. I would for sure omit the liquid smoke, :smack: and throw 4 of em on the pit for awhile:msn-wink: like an hr at 300*
Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup chopped sweet onions
8 medium portobello mushrooms
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup white wine
8 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cups white roux (1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; cook slowly over low heat)
1 quart heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Croutons, sour cream, and sliced chives, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine 1/4 cup of olive oil and 3 drops of liquid smoke. Toss 4 of the Portobello mushrooms in oil mixture and roast them in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Chop mushrooms into cubes. In a large pot, saute the onions in olive oil. Once onions are sauteed, add uncooked portobello mushrooms and garlic. After mushrooms and garlic are cooked add roasted mushrooms, white wine and chicken broth and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and place mixture in blender. Add roux to pot. Blend in heavy cream. Place mixture back in pot on stove and add roux. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with croutons, sour cream and sliced chives.

Sounds like a weiner dont it?

chef schwantz
12-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Try this with the 'schrooms:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Marinated-Roast-Portabella-Mushrooms-319592

Chargrilled
12-16-2008, 02:16 PM
chef that sounds amazing!:drooling: Thanks for the recipe! We have grilled the ports before, cutting out the stem and stuffing them with seafood spread which was great! But im all over the marinade idea!!! Maybe even stuffed with a creamcheese/Pulled pork mix like those we put in ABTs!!!

chef schwantz
12-16-2008, 02:22 PM
When done properly they taste just like steak. Some crumbled blue cheese, maybe. Try them regular and then see if you still want to stuff them. You wont regret it.:msn-wink::msn-wink:

Jake
12-18-2008, 05:38 PM
anything that tastes like steak is good in my books, now on the must do list :drooling: :sign0092: :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
12-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Just watched this episode this morning and HAVE to try this one. I love mushroom soup. This one if from Paula Dean's, On the Road. I would for sure omit the liquid smoke, :smack: and throw 4 of em on the pit for awhile:msn-wink: like an hr at 300*
Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup chopped sweet onions
8 medium portobello mushrooms
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1/4 cup white wine
8 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cups white roux (1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; cook slowly over low heat)
1 quart heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Croutons, sour cream, and sliced chives, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine 1/4 cup of olive oil and 3 drops of liquid smoke. Toss 4 of the Portobello mushrooms in oil mixture and roast them in the oven for approximately 45 minutes. Chop mushrooms into cubes. In a large pot, saute the onions in olive oil. Once onions are sauteed, add uncooked portobello mushrooms and garlic. After mushrooms and garlic are cooked add roasted mushrooms, white wine and chicken broth and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and place mixture in blender. Add roux to pot. Blend in heavy cream. Place mixture back in pot on stove and add roux. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with croutons, sour cream and sliced chives.

Sounds like a weiner dont it?

:wow: Why does she have you puree all those wonderful shroom nuggets into the soup? I say chop them fine and leave them out of the blender. Now if you really wanna kick it up, grill the onions and shrooms along with some red bell pepper that's been coated with EVOO and puree them in with the mix, but leave some of those nuggets of mushroom in there.

chef that sounds amazing!:drooling: Thanks for the recipe! We have grilled the ports before, cutting out the stem and stuffing them with seafood spread which was great! But im all over the marinade idea!!! Maybe even stuffed with a creamcheese/Pulled pork mix like those we put in ABTs!!!

What about grilling some sweet Italian sausage then crumbling it up and mixing it with Mozz, mascarpone and parmaggiano Reggiano cheeses, an egg, a little bread crumbs, fine chopped shroom stems, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and basil. Add a slice of provolone on top the last 20 minutes and service with home mead marinara over the top.

That's what food A.D.D. did to my recipe box, and it is tadwye fowah too.

Chargrilled
12-30-2008, 01:19 AM
Well I did what I said I was gonna do.

followed the recipe and some of SO insight. I blended the shroom mix, never purrrrified it. I also took the onions and smoked em with old bay (new one for Trav).

And with TexSandman producing those good vittles have to give somin back!:msn-wink:.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4369.jpg
Scotch eggs were awesome, this is temping Jake, you said you were going to do em!!!! Make it happen!!

Yall know me too well q the photos!!!!!!!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4362.jpg
Mike,... I will never do abt boats again!!!:msn-wink: Got a corer for xmas and we love em this way!!! They were wrapped in deli sliced ham.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4363.jpg
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4375.jpg

Shroom Sooup.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4364.jpg
Made as listed cept some smoked caps and onions!!!
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii223/lionhrt9/DSCN4373.jpg

Knowing Okie will be disappointed, the roue was messed up by me as I should have blended the cream as she was stiring. After she got done and I told her to turn off the heat is when I realized the cream was not blended. I had to make up for that in other ways!!! =)

SmokyOkie
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd like to see the soup w/o the steam coming off it. It takes a lot out of the photo.

:thumbs up:More good vittles Trav.:thumbs up:

Jake
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
your right those eggs are looking more and more tempting, gotta say your ABT's looked great, the ham looked like rose pedals awwwwwwwwww:roflmaoha0:
looks good :thumbs up:

Chargrilled
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I'd like to see the soup w/o the steam coming off it. It takes a lot out of the photo.

:thumbs up:More good vittles Trav.:thumbs up:
I hear ya, turned out the best we have ever had!!! Will try to get some pics as it does freeze well!!!

your right those eggs are looking more and more tempting, gotta say your ABT's looked great, the ham looked like rose pedals awwwwwwwwww:roflmaoha0:
looks good :thumbs up:

Okie, your right........... and I did cover a bit as I had to add some milk and flour after for thickening and color. Worked great, added some CBP and Old Bay.

Jake eggs wrapped in saug. always good. Listen to this ..........

Sliced Scotch egg ...............lil moterrey jack.......warm biscuit, butter.

Get out............:roflmaoha0: That is what is happen tomorrow, before I go squirrel huntin!!!!:msn-wink:

MMMMMMMMMM

Jake
01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I hear ya, turned out the best we have ever had!!! Will try to get some pics as it does freeze well!!!

Okie, your right........... and I did cover a bit as I had to add some milk and flour after for thickening and color. Worked great, added some CBP and Old Bay.

Jake eggs wrapped in saug. always good. Listen to this ..........

Get out............:roflmaoha0: That is what is happen tomorrow, before I go squirrel huntin!!!!:msn-wink:

MMMMMMMMMM

oh man im so going for the eggs and co but.....there is nothing i can see good about.... "before I go squirrel huntin!!!!:msn-wink:" thanks but no thanks on that part :roflmaoha0: allthough it would be fun to go on the hunt :msn-wink: but pip would kick my a@# let alone the kids :shrug:

TX Sandman
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Trav, I'll go ya one better.

Sliced egg, jack, salsa, jalapenos, wrapped in a tortilla.

http://texasbbqforum.com/images/smiles/evilnana.gif Beats a Taquito all to he!!.