PDA

View Full Version : Sunday cook on the drum

cabinetmaker
12-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Angela's grandma turned 84 on Pearl Harbor day, and when she was asked what she wanted, Her answer was " I want Curt to cook me a ham"!!!! :wow:, I wasn't expecting that! Grandma's health is failing and they fear this may be her last birthday. It just so happened that I had bought a butt portion ham on friday, so I made a glaze, let it sit overnight in the fridge, and put it on the drum.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0079.jpg

Along with a rack of spares for me.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0080.jpg

Ready for slicing with my new knife.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0082-1.jpg

And sliced.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0086.jpg

Can't forget a shot Angela and grandma

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0087.jpg

And lastly, my finished spares.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0077.jpg

Joneser
12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Those are some fine looking hunks of meat.....I hope Grandma enjoyed it.

Fatback Joe
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
THat really looks good..........especially the glaze. Any info you would be willing to share? :msn-wink:

cabinetmaker
12-08-2008, 10:52 AM
The glaze is kinda simple Joe. I start with 3/4 of two bottles of Newcastle brown ale (the other quarter of the two bottles is for me) in a saucepan. I add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 6 oz honey, 4 oz real maple syrup (not the pancake stuff), 1 tsp of jalepeno seasoning. Bring to a boil while stirring, and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour over the ham, foil it overnight in fridge, then sprinkle allspice and ground cloves before cooking.

Edit: I have used other beers, but they do not give the same flavor to the ham as the Newcastle.

Fatback Joe
12-08-2008, 10:57 AM
The glaze is kinda simple Joe. I start with 3/4 of two bottles of Newcastle brown ale (the other quarter of the two bottles is for me) in a saucepan. I add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 6 oz honey, 4 oz real maple syrup (not the pancake stuff), 1 tsp of jalepeno seasoning. Bring to a boil while stirring, and simmer for 20 minutes. Pour over the ham, foil it overnight in fridge, then sprinkle allspice and ground cloves before cooking.

Edit: I have used other beers, but they do not give the same flavor to the ham as the Newcastle.

Thanks. That sounds as good as it looks.

SmokyOkie
12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Great looking stuff Curt!:thumbs up:

I must say that Gma wears her years extremely well.

Tell us about your new knife.

cabinetmaker
12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Great looking stuff Curt!:thumbs up:

Thanks. the glaze is similar to yours

I must say that Gma wears her years extremely well.

Her health is failing, but the mind is sharp.

Tell us about your new knife.

Its a Spanish made Henkles(SP). Got it at linen & things going out of biz sale. Listed at 45 bucks got it for 30. Now I gotta get a sharpener so I don't ruin it with my steel.:smack:

Jake
12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
you guys ever put cloves in the ham, in between the diaminds once you cut the cross marks? before you give it a go???

food looked great, i gotta try the glaze too, hope gramma makes a turn for the better, man this site makes me hungry. :thumbs up: thanks for sharing:msn-wink:

cabinetmaker
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
To me, whole cloves are just too overpowering of a flavor. Kinda like sage on poultry. I don't use it anymore.

bigabyte
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
That is a really good looking ham, and good sounding glaze recipe. Great story about Grandma, here's hoping you get to do it again next year.

Nice knife. I love my Henckels.

californiasmokin
12-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Great looking grub Curt!:thumbs up:

That glaze sounds great including the Newcastle.Excellent Beer!

peculiarmike
12-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Gee Curt, contrary to what I've seen and heard, you ARE a nice guy! :shrug:
:roflmaoha0:
Good looking ham you cooked up for granny. I like the glaze.
Is that Henckels a forged model? Looks like it. Great knives.
I've seen 13 piece Henckels sets "on sale" around here for $99 but they are the stamped stainless.

cabinetmaker
12-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Mike, The Henckels is the forged variety. Its not stainless, but it is "stain free". This one is made of Spanish steel. The German steel is about twice the price, and very slender. Anyone got any suggestions on a good sharpening system?

peculiarmike
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Check back where you bought the knife, Henckels sells a sharpener for their knives. OR, you could shell out $150 or so for the machine. Ask the Okie about it, he has one.
OR, you could just drop by and use his - :roflmaoha0:
Cheaper. :shrug:

SmokyOkie
12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Mike, The Henckels is the forged variety. Its not stainless, but it is "stain free". This one is made of Spanish steel. The German steel is about twice the price, and very slender. Anyone got any suggestions on a good sharpening system?

Stain free is stainless. I've noticed that depending on the country of manufacture the terminology varies. German knives usually bear the term "rostfrei" which is German fro (literal) rust free. While Henckles uses different types of steel depending on the grade of the knife, all are stainless.

The Spanish steel like is softer than the German metals much like the Brazilian stainless in some Henckles but all Mundial knives.

It's no big deal, it just means that you need to be careful to only cut on wood or poly ( the only good cutting surfaces anyway), and that you need to sharpen it more often.

You know my choice in sharpeners Curt.:msn-wink:

BTW, did anyone know that the true Zwiilig (twins) knives from henckles have two teins, but the others only have one on the blade?

Jake
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
To me, whole cloves are just too overpowering of a flavor. Kinda like sage on poultry. I don't use it anymore.

i have to agree, but what if you put in say every other one... or two, cant see my post now but did i say i say it on f/n, also my mom use to put cloves in hers but i always found the little buggers to be overwhelming (if thats the right choice of words) maybe to much :msn-wink: ah chit i better just try it and see for myself, i'll do 2 halfs 1 loaded and the other used sparingly. let you know when i get to do it:thumbs up: