PDA

View Full Version : Venison Recipes

yamahog3187
11-30-2008, 07:49 PM
OK guys. We just cut up the first 4 of the year. I had a button buck from this week during bow season and we cut up 3 nice bucks from opening day of rifle season. Since my girlfriends father is the local "butcher" we get a LOT of freebies! I have 4 or so roasts that were given to me today and I need some recipes!!! Also would like some roasting times and temps. Haven't done any game in Bertha yet and need some direction. Any help would be good. Am looking through the recipe section after this post so please don't send me that way, I will get there in a bit!

Thanks!!

yamahog3187
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Also need a few ideas for some smoked tree rat! Have enough in the freezer for a good pot pie, but would like to do something on the smoker this summer! :drooling:
Any ideas?

SmokyOkie
11-30-2008, 09:55 PM
Young deer, roast to medium or medium rare and slice. Older deer or rougher cuts, lard with bacon and smoke to 145, or foil and cook to 195

Squirrel really needs a braise in order to get tender w/o drying out, so if you smoke it, foil early. I have a tough time doing anything else but fry, smother, adn simmer with squirrel. it's just too good that way.

chef schwantz
11-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Try wrapping the tree rats with bacon or ham, and then roast with indirect heat and smoke. Also had some done a few years ago "confit" style in bacon grease. Basically, you cover them in grease around 250 degrees and kind of poach them in it. Everything tastes better when you add bacon.

SmokyOkie
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Try wrapping the tree rats with bacon or ham, and then roast with indirect heat and smoke. Also had some done a few years ago "confit" style in bacon grease. Basically, you cover them in grease around 250 degrees and kind of poach them in it. Everything tastes better when you add bacon.

I bet that'd be good with a bunch 'o' garlic heads in the fat.

Capt Dan
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I just did my first venison hind quarter last sunday, and it was very windy out. The lang took almost twice as much wood. I did a couple packers along with the venison roast.
Rubbed up the roast the day before(it was boned) and then tied the roast up with cooking twine.The next day, I covered the roast with bacon, top and bottom and pinned it all with toothpicks. Here is what it looked like when it was in the cooker about an hr.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/Captspanky/Decsmokestartinearlyam.jpg
had a couple racks of backs in there too. The briskets were 12 1/2 and 14 1/2 lbs and the veny roast was about 7 lbs.

after it hit 155 I foiled the roast and pt it back into the smoker till it got to 175-180, then into a cooler for a 1 hr rest.

Here is the rub recipe:
2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
2 TBS ground sea salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp morton tender quick (optional)
2 TBS brown sugar.

just before the foil

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/Captspanky/Decsmokeribsreadytoeat.jpg

This batch of food was cooked over red oak and hickory.he roast had 8 1/2 hrs in the cooker.

here is the sliced pic.Thanks for checkin it out, hope I didn't highjack you thread. Maybe you will use the recipe for some of your venison. It was moist and very tasty, and had the texture of a smoked pork loin.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff55/Captspanky/firstvenisonontheLang.jpg

SmokyOkie
12-18-2008, 11:52 AM
PrsDan
Is that a TQ ring, or just smoke?

Ya know, you never invite me over to eat.:shrug:

Capt Dan
12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Probably a TQ ring. It had great smoke flavor but the bacon covering prevented much bark formation.I think the ring was rub/TQ coloration.Now that it has set for 3 days, the colors are almost reversed.Gonna finish it tonight.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, it prolly picked up a little cure from the bacon as well, huh?

LoneStarTom
12-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow, that roast looks amazing. Definately have to give that a try.

yamahog3187
12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for checkin it out, hope I didn't highjack you thread.

Highjack the Thread! No way! This is what I was looking for! :sign0092:I'm getting ready to go get a brisket and split some more wood. Those pics made me hungry and I think I'm gonna fire up Bertha in the morning and see what I can do with a chunk of venison!

SmokyOkie
12-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Highjack the Thread! No way! This is what I was looking for! :sign0092:I'm getting ready to go get a brisket and split some more wood. Those pics made me hungry and I think I'm gonna fire up Bertha in the morning and see what I can do with a chunk of venison!

I miss my Bertha. I don't know if it was cancer that I lost her to, or if I just burnt her out.

peculiarmike
12-27-2008, 07:31 AM
You just burned her out. Wore her out. She couldn't stand the pressure. :ack2:
Now Lucille on the other hand is a bit more "robust". She can take it. :thumbs up:
I'm just surprised she hasn't run away from home with all those Backwoods setting around on the deck. I gave her my address. :msn-wink:

twistertail
12-29-2008, 06:17 AM
I did a neck roast about 2 weeks ago at work. I put it in Jack Daniels marinade overnight then put it in a foil pan with sliced onions, green peppers and mushrooms and put that in the smoker. After it got to about 150 I took it out and sliced it up as thin as I could and then put it back into the pan for about an hour. Took it out and piled it up high on rolls and topped with provolone, it was great! It didnt have a lot of smoke flavor, I guess cause it was in a foil pan the whole time, but the sandwiches were great. Made a big batch of ABT's also.