PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Smoked Spiced Ham

SmokyOkie
11-30-2008, 05:51 PM
This is one of my personal faves. I did it as a new creation a couple years ago and can't seem to get enough of it. Here's what I do:

I start with a spiral sliced ham and flip through the slices sprinkling the glaze packet onto the slices in the middle of the ham( sorry, no pic of that) then turn it upside down on a piece of foil.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Thanksgiving%202008/HPIM1573.jpg

Next, I take brown sugar, spices and brandy (only enough to make a thick slurry) and pour it over the ham

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Thanksgiving%202008/HPIM1574.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Thanksgiving%202008/HPIM1575.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Thanksgiving%202008/HPIM1576.jpg

Then I put it in a tight fit foil pan and give it about 3 hours smudging on Lucille running thick smoke @ about 200.

Every 30 minutes or so, I spoon the glaze back up and over the ham, and then the last hour or so I pull the foil up fairly tight around it so that all the smoky spicy sweet good sutff can permeate the meat.

We think it is important not to actually cook the meat, but rather just flavor it and warm it through. If it actually cooks, it will tend to be hard and dry,

When done, I serve it on a stand and spoon the juices over it. I also leave a spoon on the platter in case anyone wants extra glaze.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Thanksgiving%202008/HPIM1580.jpg

BA_LoKo
11-30-2008, 06:15 PM
I've actually tried your ham this way. It's good stuff!!

PigCicles
11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Good lookin ham Tim! Tastes like dust though :msn-wink:

I like the stand you have it on too.

SmokyOkie
11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I've actually tried your ham this way. It's good stuff!!

One that I did ( oh yea, Christmas eve). I thought oyu didn't like cherry smoke.:shrug:

Jake
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
i'll have his share mmmmmm looks good

californiasmokin
12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Looks good Tim,

what spices did you use?
That glaze looks like it would be good over some Yams too!

Chargrilled
12-02-2008, 07:59 PM
OMG I wouldnt come outta the bedroom for a week if I made that:roflmaoha0:

WTF is a "glaze packet"

recipe please!!!!!!!!!!!

Great lookin vittles there Tim!!!:thumbs up:

californiasmokin
12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
OMG I wouldnt come outta the bedroom for a week if I made that:roflmaoha0:

WTF is a "glaze packet"

recipe please!!!!!!!!!!!

Great lookin vittles there Tim!!!:thumbs up:

The" glaze packet" comes with the spiral ham that you buy at the store.

Chargrilled
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
The" glaze packet" comes with the spiral ham that you buy at the store.

was thinkin Tim came up with something Okie.:msn-wink:

californiasmokin
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
was thinkin Tim came up with something Okie.:msn-wink:

He did in a way.You would use that instead of his slurry that he concocted in the SmokyOkie Laboratory.I want the recipe for the slurry :sign0009:

SmokyOkie
12-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Simple stuff guys. Pick you favorite spices ( as opposed to herbs). I like ground cloves, allspice, mace,cinnamon and nutmeg. A little dry mustard is good too. If you aren't real familiar with the spices, you could use pumpkin pie spice, look at the ingredients list and then build your own from there. These aromatic type spices are very forgiving and all blend well together.

Start with a good amount of brown sugar, add the spices, and then a little brandy at a time until you get a slightly pourable slurry. It will get a lot more liquid as the ham heats and releases it's juices.

The brandy helps extract the flavors from the cherry smoke and mix them into the slurry and then into the meat.

Here again, extra low temps and bilowy smoke are the deal. You don;t need to worry about bitter creosote cuz you're strong on the sugar. In fact the cherry creosote is exactly what you want. Just be sure to keep washing it with the slurry.

Low temps, heated slowly through to not much more than 150-160 spreads the flavoer well and keeps the ham juicy and tender.

If I had to guess on the sugar and spices, I'd say 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 1/2 tsp each on the spices. If you make the slurry and taste it and it's too strong, just cut it in half and replace the half with more sugar, then save the other half for next time.

drtibird
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
The brandy helps extract the flavors from the cherry smoke and mix them into the slurry and then into the meat.

That really makes my mouth water and I'm going to try one.
What kind/flavor brandy did you use? Apple?

SmokyOkie
12-03-2008, 10:23 PM
That really makes my mouth water and I'm going to try one.
What kind/flavor brandy did you use? Apple?

Brandy flavored brandy. It supplies a kinda scorched flavor that i think goes well with everything else, but I don't know why you couldn't use flavored brandy, some of them are awful sweet though, and you really got enough sweet goin' on already.

drtibird
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Brandy flavored brandy. It supplies a kinda scorched flavor that i think goes well with everything else, but I don't know why you couldn't use flavored brandy, some of them are awful sweet though, and you really got enough sweet goin' on already.

Thanks SO, I'll make a run to the store tomorrow for the Brandy flavored brandy!! :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I like E&J. it seems to be quality brandy at a decent price.

JohnnyReb
12-23-2008, 05:05 AM
what internal temp do you take it to, i know that spiral hams have a tendancy to dry out

that does look and sound good

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Maybe 150. I only smoke @ about 190-200 so it only just a real gentle reheat. Plus, it sits in it's own juices after the first hour or so.

IMHO, any ham gets dry real quick if you cook it.

Chargrilled
12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
been asked to bring my sprial cut ham (heavenly ham) {Bill may be familiar with it???} now for xmas dinner. Flights got canceled and chit so we have tomorrow at the house together. I am thawin er out and want to perform the SO method. SOOOOOOOOO

wanted to know if I can follow these directions on a REAL low fire and then package it back up to reheat a day later???? W/O drying:blushing:

californiasmokin
12-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Trav,I might be mistaken but check the label on that ham.I think that they are pre cooked so basically all you are doing is re heating them to a desired serving temp and applying the glaze.

How were you planning to re heat the ham?Smoker?Oven?

Tim might have a better idea but I think I would just smoke it till the slurry basted it real nice and hit it again with some slurry when you re heat for serving.That way you don't actually cook the ham and dry it out but that glaze will set up nice and flavor the ham.:twocents:

Have a great Christmas Travis!

Chargrilled
12-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Trav,I might be mistaken but check the label on that ham.I think that they are pre cooked so basically all you are doing is re heating them to a desired serving temp and applying the glaze.

How were you planning to re heat the ham?Smoker?Oven?

Tim might have a better idea but I think I would just smoke it till the slurry basted it real nice and hit it again with some slurry when you re heat for serving.That way you don't actually cook the ham and dry it out but that glaze will set up nice and flavor the ham.:twocents:

Have a great Christmas Travis!

No Paul you are 100% right, it is already done, what I was going to do was follow the 150-200 low smoke thing but Tim did his then ate it I assume. I want to do the same but package it for travel then REHEAT again in oven. I plan on doing mine on a pit more or less to "prep" it.

californiasmokin
12-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Trav Tim says he smokes it for about 3 hours.I was suggesting that you smoke it for less and finish the process in the oven.

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 10:27 PM
That would work as well. The main two things you need to accomplish are to combine the slurry with the smoke and then be sure that it penetrates into the slices of the ham. I would think that you could get the smoke into it in about 1.5 or 2 hours, pack it tight so that all the juices remain all the way around the ham and then set it out at room temp the day you want to eat it and then follow the reheating directions on the package from there.

BA_LoKo
12-23-2008, 10:31 PM
And, if you get a chance, baste it while it cooks. I think it makes a difference. If it is the ham I had last year, there will be juices that you can toss back up on the ham during the smoke. You're going to love the ham!

SmokyOkie
12-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Like I said on the phone Trav, give if about an hour for the smoke to set and the slurry to combine with the juices and then start spooning it back up over the top every 10 or 15 minutes. If at any time the edges of the slices start to wrinkle, take it out immediately. If it is starting to cook the edges will wrinkle and you don;t want it to cook.

Also, it will not set up a glaze. If you want a glaze just pack it with brown sugar and hit it with a torch until the sugar starts to bubble.

flying illini
12-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Got the link, SO. Thanks. I must have missed. This was darn good and I got the last of it.

SmokyOkie
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Think so? We bagged up aout 10 sammies worth. You just got the part that was sliced all the way through. Can you believe that they scarfed up more ham than NY strip roast?

flying illini
12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Think so? We bagged up aout 10 sammies worth. You just got the part that was sliced all the way through. Can you believe that they scarfed up more ham than NY strip roast?

It was about even to me as I had BOTH and they were great. Agree you had some down in the bottom of the rack left.

SmokyOkie
12-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Come by for a cold sammie sometime.

californiasmokin
11-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Tim,
You put some measurement in this thread.

Mighty Tasty Looking!

Butt Lover's
11-20-2009, 06:57 PM
I thought I saw a nice looking ham around here somewhere!

californiasmokin
03-31-2010, 04:23 PM
I thought I saw a nice looking ham around here somewhere!
It is right here!

SmokyOkie
03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Right where?