PDA

View Full Version : Garlic soup with croutons

Smokin Bill
11-25-2008, 06:35 AM
I got this recipe from a friend who as they were telling me about it said they had some in the freezer. After I made it for the first time I called back and asked how there could possibly be some in your freezer? This is way too good to last that long; I promise. Even if you dont like garlic, you'll like this one.

NOTE: you almost cant put too much garlic in this recipe so error on the heavy side.

GARLIC SOUP WITH CROUTONS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
1/2 cup whole peeled garlic cloves (about 16 to 20 cloves) you can’t put too much garlic in
3 bay leaves
2 1/2 teaspoon salt
Black pepper
2 quarts white chicken stock
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cups torn or coarsely chopped day-old French or Italian bread
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup fresh, coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup spicy homemade* or prepared croutons

Heat oil in a soup pot over high heat and add onions, garlic cloves, bay leaves, salt, and 7 turns of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 7 minutes. Don't let onions get too dark; they should be sweet-tasting and a rich golden-brown color.

Stir in stock, minced garlic, basil and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about 40 minutes. Turn heat back up to high, whisk in bread and cream and continue whisking until bread has disintegrated into the soup, about 10 minutes. Whisk in Parmesan and remove from heat. Purée soup in a food processor or blender; do this in batches, if necessary. To serve, allow 1 generous cup per portion topped with croutons.

Yield: 5 1/2 cups / 4 servings

PigCicles
11-25-2008, 09:16 AM
That sounds very tastey indeed. If I can remember it, I think I'll give it a shot soon.

Wondering if it would be good thickened and reduced with say grilled chicken added and put over a bed of noodles? Gotta go from the recipe out of the gate first though.

Thanks for sharing buster! :thumbs up:

Jake
12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
sounds good to me. but did you ask santa for a camera for x mas. :msn-wink:

Smokin Bill
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
sounds good to me. but did you ask santa for a camera for x mas. :msn-wink:
Yes sir, Santa did bring me a camera and just for you Jake, I shot a close up.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

It's really a pretty boring one to photograph Jake; sorry.

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/40113/2383561310101870711S425x425Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2383561310101870711bxNojd)

Jake
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
huh now that i see it, looks a little to plain. :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Smokin Bill
12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
huh now that i see it, looks a little to plain. :msn-wink: :roflmaoha0: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

But it tastes really good. Seriously, it is a creamed soup and a real picture would look at bout the same. Problem with pictures of this is that it's so damn good there's no time for pictures. The last of the stirring turns into licking the spoon turns into filling a bowl then filling a bowl and repeat till it's gone.

Jake
12-05-2008, 04:56 PM
But it tastes really good. Seriously, it is a creamed soup and a real picture would look at bout the same. Problem with pictures of this is that it's so damn good there's no time for pictures. The last of the stirring turns into licking the spoon turns into filling a bowl then filling a bowl and repeat till it's gone.

i can imagine, just thought i would bug you a bit, i am going to give it a try, doesnt seem like it would take that long and if its as good as you say it might be something i can whip up when i get home after graveyards :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Man, that pic has got me drooling!

Jake
12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Man, that pic has got me drooling!

see told you, we like all sorts of pics even if it was wallpaper LOL it is a food you know, when i was younger i had to share a room with one of my brothers and he use to rip my star wars wall paper off the wall and eat it. :roflmaoha0: dumb a@#, i always looked for the short bus to come pick him up, still do come to think of it :roflmaoha0: ahhhhhhh thanks for the memorys :roflmaoha0: