PDA

View Full Version : Turkey

Fatback Joe
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Did the Alton Brown recipe for something different. Turned out real well, I would recommend it if you don't have a go to favorite.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Pretty much followed the recipe as written except that I brined overnight and put salt and pepper on the skin. Didn't even plan on taking pics until just before I was going to carved it, my wife said "what, no pics?"..........smart arse. Naturally, the pics didn't do it justice.......and since I took the pic I had to post. :msn-wink:

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Proof/1122/turkey.jpg

No sliced pics, just got down to eating. It was one of the juiciest birds I had done in a while.......good eatin'.

We basically had Thanksgiving yesterday here since we are going to my mom's house and the bird is usually dry, dry, dry.

Chargrilled
11-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Joe great lookin bird man!!

How did the skin turn out? Looks crispy:thumbs up:

What were you runnin the stumps at? How long a burn?

I just saw that AB episode yesterday I think?

Fatback Joe
11-23-2008, 09:57 AM
The skin was very crispy.

I put a little EVOO on it.......the Alton thing is run at 500 for the first 30 minutes........it did wonders for the skin........and then 350 the rest of the way. This bird was around 10lbs and got done in 2 hours.

Oh, must be subliminal embarrassment :blushing: caused me to fail to mention that I did this one in the oven..........I have run the Stumps up to 500 in the past doing pizza and stuff like that, but there would have been no cooling it down to 350 so had to go with the oven for this method.

BigAL
11-23-2008, 10:08 AM
whats an "oven"?:msn-wink: Looks great! I'll have to check u-tube to see if AB's turkey is on there.

Thanks for the pic! Man, do I ever miss all your guys' pics. :thumbs up:

PigCicles
11-23-2008, 10:11 AM
What's that crazy O word you just used??? :roflmaoha0:

Good looking bird Joe. Bet you're looking forward to that next bird :msn-wink:

For the sake of those curious about brining - I would presume that the bird was already infused with a solution. How many hours did you brine it and did you follow a recipe for said brine?

Fatback Joe
11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
What's that crazy O word you just used??? :roflmaoha0:

Good looking bird Joe. Bet you're looking forward to that next bird :msn-wink:

For the sake of those curious about brining - I would presume that the bird was already infused with a solution. How many hours did you brine it and did you follow a recipe for said brine?

Just for the record, I never had issues with people using ovens.........as long as they did it from start to finish.......don't start in the smoker and finish in the oven. :msn-wink: I feel better now......a little bit anyhow.

No solution in the bird...........just a plain old bird. I followed the recipe for the brine, but I did put it in the fridge and not in a cooler as he does. I would say that it was probably close to 24 hours in the brine. I would not have gone that long with an "enhanced" bird.