PDA

View Full Version : Question on gas conversion

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Im not sure where i seen it on the site, but someone had picts of a gas burner in the fire box.My question is, im thinking of doing something similar aswell, but mainly for when i run out of coals, and aslo im thinking about putting long burners in the main chamber like a normal gasser so i can use it for quick cooks and searing....ive got my gasser sitting there doing nothing at all, so i thought i might take the knife to it and make a hibrid smoker...lol.........but maybe only use the 2 middle burners, that way i can still use the gasser as a rottisserery...any thoughts on this guys ???/

SmokyOkie
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Modifying the firebox in your off set is one thing, dissecting your gasser to add burners to the oven chamber of you offset is another. yes, you certainly could do that, but what would you gain?

Most of the cooking you would do in the offset would be smoking, no?

You would end up with a lot of drippings on the burners and thus have rust and clogging problems.

If you just leave the burner in your gasser, you will burn off the residue every time you fire it up.

I'd leave good engineering where it is if I were you.

What does everybody else think?

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
thats true tim,it was just a thought though, but i still would like to run gas to the fire-box,just for those times when i run out of coals.i can get an old gasser from the recycle dept near me for like $5-10, and use 1 of those burners,or maybe a cast iron camp stove burner, but i would like it to be a permanent fixture, even thought of the ash problem, i'll just sit one of those dissposable alloy pans upsidedown over it to protect the burner from ash fallout..what sort of btu's will i need to hold a steady temp?????

SmokyOkie
11-15-2008, 09:59 PM
A forge burner might be a better idea. it would blow the flame in istead of burning from underneat and thus eliminat the ash prollem. I'll see if I can find the thread to give you a look at what was done.

SmokyOkie
11-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Here ya go, check this thread Link (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1714&highlight=forge)

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-15-2008, 10:13 PM
thanx tim, will look at it now

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-15-2008, 10:21 PM
just read it Tim, how would i go about finding out what diameter pipe work and what btu's would suit best, i dont want to go paying for a gass fitter, as i can do the job my self, well, take my time at least for the moment until i heal abit better....ive got a spare regulator and gas hose's, all i will need is the pipe work for the firbox.

SmokyOkie
11-16-2008, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't know. Why don't you drop a PM to Seattle pit boss? he sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Thats an idea TIM,.....

Fatback Joe
11-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Maybe you can lift a little info off of this site?

http://gassmoker.com/index.htm

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Maybe you can lift a little info off of this site?

http://gassmoker.com/index.htm

I actually looked up that site last week, it gave me a few idea's, i'll post a pict soon of what i would like to use, weather is a bit crappy to go outside at the moment..:censored2:

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-21-2008, 03:46 AM
after looking into a few things, i think i'll go a high btu forged burner, at least that way it's totally portable and can be used for other things aswell...

Gunslinger
12-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I know I'm late in responding to this, but I will anyway.
I welded a big weed-burner torch to the side wall of my firebox so I can dry snack stix and summer sausage without smoke. I'll smoke first for about 3 to 4 hours, then dry at about 175, no smoke.
The torch also aids in starting the wood fire in my firebox. When I start my firebox fire, I close the damper to the smoke chamber and open the firebox chimney. I don't open the smoke chamber up until my firebox has about 3 inches of red hot coals. When I modified the firebox with it's own chimney, I took the burn barrel to the scrap yard.
You can buy the torch on sale at Harbor Freight for 17 bucks.

jerry516planes
12-20-2008, 10:55 PM
I know I am late on this one sure. Just took a while to find the literature. I had a great picture but have lost it.

See http://www.tejassmokers.com/ for all kinds of parts and accessories.

In that web site see the fire starter http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/j_2040_loglighter_&_hose.jpg

Shield the burner with a piece of angle iron and your in business. Place angle like this ^. The burner holes come out the sides of the 1/2" black pipe and you can make the the burner your self just add a regulator and air mixer. See the above info and I think you can work it out. If you have any questions post me back and I will continue to look for the example picture.

Good Luck!

fullahead
11-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Auzzie Highwaycruiser
I want to buy an off set smoker and run an after burner as well. Do you have any pictures of what you have done with yours? I like the idea of the weed burner. An off set with a propane burner you would think it would be the best worlds?

DDave
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Auzzie Highwaycruiser
I want to buy an off set smoker and run an after burner as well. Do you have any pictures of what you have done with yours? I like the idea of the weed burner. An off set with a propane burner you would think it would be the best worlds?

Well, I'm not Auzzie Highwaycruiser, but it doesn't look like he has logged in since 09-19-2009. So, me being the helpful guy that I am, I thought I would respond. :D

I have a Smoke N' Pit with an Afterburner H. It works great, although I haven't used it much since I built my UDS :blushing:. It can also be removed quickly if you want to burn charcoal or sticks (if your smoker is big enough).

Unless you're experienced with propane modding and such, I would recommend just buying the Afterburner from www.gassmoker.com (http://www.gassmoker.com). It will already be properly sized and all of the appropriate fittings will be included.

Dave

SmokyOkie
11-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, I'm not Auzzie Highwaycruiser, but it doesn't look like he has logged in since 09-19-2009. So, me being the helpful guy that I am, I thought I would respond. :D

I have a Smoke N' Pit with an Afterburner H. It works great, although I haven't used it much since I built my UDS :blushing:. It can also be removed quickly if you want to burn charcoal or sticks (if your smoker is big enough).

Unless you're experienced with propane modding and such, I would recommend just buying the Afterburner from www.gassmoker.com (http://www.gassmoker.com). It will already be properly sized and all of the appropriate fittings will be included.

Dave

U Da DOOD!

fullahead
11-26-2009, 06:32 AM
Ddave
I checked out, gassmoker.com looks good! I will order the after burner. I am still looking around for an off set smoker. They are hard to find in Canada, itís more about gas grilling up here. Cabelaís in Lacy WA, has just started caring the Yoder smoker looks good. I would like to get one for around 500 dollars. What make is youíre off set?

SmokyOkie
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
The Yoders are a great unit as far as I can tell. They appear to be very well made. I can't speak to how well the burn though. Has anyone ever cooked on one?

DDave
11-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Ddave
What make is youíre off set?

Mine is a Brinkmann Smoke N' Pit. It is the Walmart verson -- about $150.00. I would not recomend the cheap version but it was my first so what did I know.:shrug: The metal is fairly thin and it doesn't hold heat real well in the wind. After making quite a few mods and building a wind break, it does a pretty decent job.

But if you're budget is $500.00 I would recemmend you get a heavier built one. It soundls like you are heading in that direction. You will be happier in the long run. :thumbs up:

Dave