PDA

View Full Version : Who's doin' what to turkeys?

SmokyOkie
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Whatcha got planned for TG poultry. fried, smoked, roasted?

give us your ideas and be prepared to show the proof that it actually happened.

TX Sandman
11-12-2008, 10:39 PM
We're planning on several fried turkeys this Saturday. Pics (and maybe movies) to follow.

:shrug: Haven't decided what else will happen. Might be just turkeys, maybe other things. Depends on time, inspiration, equipment, family, etc.

chef schwantz
11-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Inject with creole butter the night before, smoke for 3 hours on medium (170), then throw in the fryer to seal in all that smokey goodness and crisp up the skin all nice and crunchy. Serve with a side of andoullie cornbread dressing and some gravy. I came up with this when a beer can turkey fell behind schedule a few years back after a little too much prep(opening beer cans is time consuming you know), so we had to improvise. Didn't help that the outside temp was 15 and there was a pretty stiff breeze either.

cabinetmaker
11-13-2008, 07:13 AM
The friday before Tday, he have a dinner with my cabinet shop, and the two machine shops next door. I'l be cooking one turkey, and one ham on the CG. Then three on Tday. Two on the CG, and one on the drum. Like the Chef, I'll inject with creole butter. I seperate the skin from the breast and stuff in as much butter as I can, fill the cavity with garlic, onion and celery, and rub the outside with Stubbs poultry rub. I did this to one on the drum last week and it came out great.

Joneser
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
My wife volunteered me to smoke my first 2 turkeys on the drum for a carry-in. I've been researching this topic over the past week and I've found 2 schools of thought on this...
Low but safe (200 - 225) and then High (325 -350) I'm pretty sure my drum will crank out the btu's for the high heat, but I'm afraid of over cooking the bird on the side facing the fire....foil maybe???
Anyway, it's going to be a trial by fire for my first Turkeys.....
Any thoughts or suggestions? I've already read Glued2it's post on turkey and I think that will be my best option.
~Joneser

cabinetmaker
11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Joneser, I just did my first turkey on the drum last sunday. Turned out great. Drum was at 280. Cooked on rack for 2 hrs, in a foil pan for 1 hr, foiled till it hit 170 (another hr or so). It was plenty moist ( I injected night before in TC's creole butter). The breast meat came off the bone completelly whole, and all the joints easily broke in half. I think it was my best turkey ever.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_0044.jpg

Joneser
11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
:carveturkey: That makes me drool!
I think I'll take your advice and try it that way. I'm not sure about the brining though because of room issues... (I killed my spare fridge) so I may just go with the injections.....:sign0092::kewlpics:

Fatback Joe
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I had something in mind for the turkey, but since this isn't the BOTB you will just have to use your imagination.

peculiarmike
11-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Boy! I saw that coming the second after I read Okie's title for this post.
Bill or FBJ bait if I ever saw it. :roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
11-13-2008, 10:47 AM

So ya caught me, so what? :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Now, let the thread continue.

Joneser, the perfect temp to roast a turkey is 325 whether it's in an oven , grill, or smoker. If you want crispy skin, I definitley wouldn't go below Curt's 280.

For the sake of appearance, tucking the wings under the back and/or tying a string around them to hold the body together would help. So would tyingthe ankles togehter, or if necessary, tying a string around the diameter right where the leg/thigh joints are. This would do othing for flavor or texture, but if you'll be carving at the table, it would dress up the presentation.

Chef, are you saying that you are cooking the turkey at 170? If so, that is way too low to be safe, and if you meant that you were cooking it to 170 before frying, it would already be done.

Or maybe it was just a typo and you meant 270

Fatback Joe
11-13-2008, 11:18 AM

I hate being so predictable.............I held off for as long as I could.

Fatback Joe
11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Did you see Alton's show last night? As best I remember he did his Turkey starting at 500 for the first 30 minutes. Ever give that a shot? I haven't tried it, but it seemed ok in theory.

I am going to my moms house for Thanksgiving like I have for the last couple of years...........and she does her turkey how she wants to and that is that.........not open for discussion. Far from teh best bird I have ever had, but what are you going to do?

chef schwantz
11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
"Chef, are you saying that you are cooking the turkey at 170? If so, that is way too low to be safe, and if you meant that you were cooking it to 170 before frying, it would already be done."

The accepted rule of thumb is 4 hours from 40-140. When I smoke it the temps in my unit vary between 170-220, depending on the weather and the wind. After about 3 hours internal temp on a 18 lb bird is usually around 100. It only takes about 20 min in the fryer to get it up to 160 from that point. I always make sure that the bird is completely defrosted as well. It retains the smokey flavor and stays nice and moist as a properly fried turkey should.

SmokyOkie
11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I've always done mine @325 tented, basted frequently and untented for the last 1 1/2 hours. I've never had a dry bird, and always have crispy skin. I cook them until the leg joint wiggles easily. The last one I did, I checked the temp w/ a thermapen and it read 166.

I will do a cherry smoked bird and prolly deep fry one. May do a turducken as well depending on how energetic I feel. I always have to do at least one convemtional bird just to get the good gravy makins out of the bottom of the pan.

SmokyOkie
11-13-2008, 12:34 PM
"Chef, are you saying that you are cooking the turkey at 170? If so, that is way too low to be safe, and if you meant that you were cooking it to 170 before frying, it would already be done."

The accepted rule of thumb is 4 hours from 40-140. When I smoke it the temps in my unit vary between 170-220, depending on the weather and the wind. After about 3 hours internal temp on a 18 lb bird is usually around 100. It only takes about 20 min in the fryer to get it up to 160 from that point. I always make sure that the bird is completely defrosted as well. It retains the smokey flavor and stays nice and moist as a properly fried turkey should.

Why do you smoke it at such low temps?

chef schwantz
11-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Why do you smoke it at such low temps?

I don't want it to cook all the way through and I want it to spend as much time in the smoke as I can before I fry it. The rig used at thanksgiving was the first one I built, and through squatters rights, my Uncle laid claim to. Its not insulated, leaky, and can be difficult to use when the temps get on the cool side up here. In a nutshell, that is how I came to frying the turkey to finish it. Turned out quite good, and been doing it that way ever since.

SmokyOkie
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
On your recommendation, I'll have to try one.

Have we seen your smoker?

Also, I wonder what would happen if you cold smoked, wrapped well and refrigerated overnight then fried??

PigCicles
11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Definitely sounds interesting Chef. I wouldn't want to start off quite so low in smoker temps. But if you are putting it to the fryer in approx. 3 hrs it should be safe.

Me I'm not much of a poultry person, but will probably 'get' to smoke a turkey or two. Most likely will be a plain Jane smoke with cherry wood and smoked around the 300 ish range til it is done (usually take em to about 172 - 174 internal just because I'm freaky about pink poultry at the bone.)