PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter sides...

PhillyMike
11-11-2008, 08:50 AM
yea seasonal! what do you think? the potatoes arent my recipe but they are good!

Saffron Potatoes
Pinch of saffron threads (about 15)
1 1/4 cups water
2 lb Red Bliss Potatoes
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon Sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Cooking
Crumble saffron threads into water.
Peel potatoes and cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Rinse potatoes well and pat dry between paper towels.
Heat butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then brown potatoes in 1 layer, turning over carefully, about 4 minutes per side. Add saffron-infused water, salt, and pepper and briskly simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat 5 minutes. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer until potatoes are tender and water is evaporated, about 15 to 20 minutes more. ( can add some corn starch to thicken sauce if not thick enough. Remember to bring it back to a boil! )

Buttery Mushrooms and Asparagus
Ingredients
Asparagus fresh and hand prepared
Crimini mushrooms stems removed
Butter
Sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
Juice of ˝ lemon.

Preparation
Melt ˝ stick of butter in a 12” or bigger saucepan. When froth subsides, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Sauté’ for 3 to 4 min and add the asparagus. Continue to sauté’ until the asparagus starts to get tender. Squeeze in the lemon juice and add pepper. Serve immediately.

SmokyOkie
11-11-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm a bit confused on the taters. If you evap all the water, what is there in the way of sauce to thicken?

PhillyMike
11-20-2008, 12:44 PM
hey i didnt notice that. I dont evap all the water. hmm i wonder if the author noticed.

Chargrilled
11-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Buttery shrooms and asparagus, are you kidding!!!!:drooling:
Got to give that one a go, thanks for postin Mike.

Okie, it even goes on to say after the evap bring back to a boil!! WTF:shrug:

SmokyOkie
11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Be nice to find the author of the recipe and have them edit it to clarify, huh?

I think buttery spear grass and shrooms would be good grilled as well.

Jake
11-20-2008, 06:38 PM
gotta try those shrooms and asparagus :drooling:
not sure about the other one, talk about confusing a guy:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
11-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Here's on we like , cut an acorn squash in half, make a small ring out of foil to act as a stand, put a GENEROUS helping of brown sugar and butter in the cavity along with some allspice, cloves, cinnamon and mace. Smoke @ 275° for about an hour and a half spooning inner goodies back up over the rim and sides often.

Another interesting variation is to fill the cavity with sausage after about 45 minutes. If you do, sprinkle more brown sugar and spices over the top after you stuff it.

Auzzie-highwaycruiser
11-21-2008, 03:40 AM
sounds interesting, i agree with jake aswell, and those mushies should taste nice grilled aswell.