Lobster broth
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
1/2 to 1 c. sherry
1 tsp. concentrated chicken stock or 1 cube chicken bouillon
Salt, white pepper
1 c. flour
3 c. reserved lobster broth

Place lobster and celery in heavy saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then boil 10 to 15 minutes or until lobster is red and cooked.

Remove lobster, strain broth (let lobster cool), set aside.

In a large saucepan, melt butter, then sauté onion and shallot until soft and translucent. Add half and half plus some of the lobster broth, reserving 3 cups for later use.

Heat milk mixture thoroughly, then add paprika, sherry, chicken stock, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. In bowl, mix together the flour and reserved 3 cups of lobster broth. Heat until thickened.

Meanwhile, remove meat from lobster and add to the bisque. Allow bisque to simmer (do not boil) for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Garnish each bowl with chopped parsley.

Variation: You can use 1 1/2 tablespoons Minor's Lobster Base instead of lobster broth; eliminate the chicken bouillon.

Variation 2: Instead of using lobster, use an equivalent amount of crab meat. Use Minor's Crab Base instead of lobster broth and chicken bouillon. Instead of Lobster Bisque, you'll now have Crab Bisque!

Variation 3: Instead of using lobster, use an equivalent amount of peeled, deveined and chopped shrimp. Use Minor's Shrimp, Seafood, or Clam Base instead of lobster broth and chicken bouillon. Instead of Lobster Bisque, you'll now have Shrimp Bisque! Makes 3 quarts.

LOBSTER BISQUE

* 1/2 pound lump lobster meat, cooked
* 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
* 2 tbsp celery, chopped
* 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
* 2 tbsp carrot, chopped
* 2 tbsp onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
* 3 tbsp butter
* 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/8 tsp salt

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter, then add in the celery, mushrooms, carrot and onion. Cook and stirring often until tender, around 10 minutes. Add in the chicken broth; season with salt and cayenne pepper. Allow mixture to come to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the vegetable and broth mixture into a blender, then add 1/4 cup of the cooked lobster meat. Blend, covered, until smooth. Then return the mixture to the saucepan, and mix in the white wine, half-and-half, and the left over lobster meat. Cook over a low heat, stirring often until the mixture thickens, for around 30 minutes. Serve.

SmokyOkie
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Superior Touch brand "Better Than Boullion" makes a tremendous lobster soup base.

Kew_el_steve
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
How does this relate to outdoor cooking?

Fatboy
01-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Actually it doensn't seem to unless you're cooking it on an outdoor cooker, but James is new here, the seafood forum doesn't have a lot in it as yet, and I don't know many folks that don't enjoy a good clam chowder or lobster bisque.

I think we'll leave it here for now and perhaps someone will come along and give us some ideas as to how to take it outdoors. That is unless there are objections from others.

FB

JamesB
01-29-2008, 02:18 PM
How does this relate to outdoor cooking?

Do all topics need to be deemed only fit for outdoor cooking? I don't remember reading that in the Q joint rules. You could always make this on a propane stove or over a camp fire.

While I understand that this is primarily a forum for the discussion of outdoor cooking, it has been my experience that folks who are interested in that form of cooking also enjoy other methods and styles. I, for one, am interested in all cooking methods and ideas. I was sent an invitation to join here by folks who I presumed knew me and my interests and figured that others shared the same.

James.

Fatboy
01-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Absolutely no foul James.

We are dedicated to all forms of outdoor cooking but I'm sure there are others who would enjoy a good chowder recipe.

Hopefully very soon, we will be installing recipe database software
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104
that will allow members to create their own cookbooks nad search the entire database.

Once we get that installed, you will be able to catalog each and every recipe that you own along with any recipe that you want to borrow from any other member.

FB

copkid
01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
When I look at the description under 'What's on the menu today' it says to share ALL your recipes. I would have done the same as James, and assumed it meant all my recipes, and unfortunately, I can't always do it on the grill. I'll bet there are a bunch of great cooks around here, and I look forward to seeing all kinds of recipes and ways to do them!
Laura

TX Sandman
01-30-2008, 09:25 AM
If this is a big problem for some folks, maybe we should add a separate section for "Other Meals", meals not cooked with an outdoor flame. That was, if folks don't want to see anything not cooked on a grill, they can avoid that section. If in doubt, I'd rather err on the side of more recipes, posts, and ideas.

If we want to adapt this for outdoor cooking, why not use grilled lobster? Or cook it over an outdoor burner? Even throw it on a kettle over a coal fire? There are ways to play with this and still be true to the recipe.

Personally, and this is my feeling, just as many grilled recipes can be cooked indoors in a pinch, most "indoor" recipes can be adapted for outdoor cooking.

Fatboy
01-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Evidently there are some purists that are concerned about possibly giving way to the overt nature of the forum (i.e.-outdoor cooking)

At the same time there are a good many here that enjoy all types of cooking and don't mind indoor recipes having a place on the forum.

In order to avoid a heated debate and the hard feelings that might ensue, I am locking the thread and moving it and its sister thread to the "Anything Else" forum.

Once again, in the near future we will be installing recipe database software that will allow posting, rating, cataloging and searching all recipes. At that time anything anyone wants to post will have a place, French, Greek, Swahili, anything, and only those that want to view the recipes will view them.

In the mean time in order to preserve the peace and quiet, those of you that have traditionally indoor recipes, please post them but edit them slightly for outdoor cooking ( campstove, DO, etc)

Thanks to all of you that have contributed here,

FB