PDA

View Full Version : Hog Butchering Question

Joneser
11-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Posted this over at SMF, I know there are some folks here that are unique to the Joint so I wanted to ask my questions here as I value your opinions as well.

Hey guys,
I'm planning on buying a whole hog this year, for the first time and I wanted to run a couple of questions by you all.

First, is $1.99 /lb a decent price? That's usually what I buy Butts or spares for when they are on special, so I wasn't sure if it was a good price on whole hog.

The next question I had was on the smoking....
The butcher said he'd smoke the ham and bacon for .50/lb. Now that sounds a little high to me since I could probably do it myself.

The thing is, having never cured and smoked a ham or bacon, I'd hate to ruin the meat.
Here's what I was thinking. I'd let the butcher smoke 1/2 and I'd try my hand at doing the other half. This way I can be sure to have acceptable ham/bacon and I'd also get the experience of doing it myself.
Anyone have any input or suggestions?
~Joneser

chef schwantz
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
$1.99 seems a little high, unless that is cut and wrapped. Roasted one for a party in June and paid $1.07lb, but that was a whole dressed carcass.
As far as the bacon and hams, 50 cents a lb isnt bad at all, but have you tried his bacon and ham. No sense in paying him to do it if you don't like it. They sell alot of DIY kits for bacon at sporting goods stores. As far as the ham, you'll likely have to use a recipe.:twocents:

Joneser
11-06-2008, 01:41 PM
$1.99 seems a little high, unless that is cut and wrapped. Roasted one for a party in June and paid $1.07lb, but that was a whole dressed carcass.
As far as the bacon and hams, 50 cents a lb isnt bad at all, but have you tried his bacon and ham. No sense in paying him to do it if you don't like it. They sell alot of DIY kits for bacon at sporting goods stores. As far as the ham, you'll likely have to use a recipe.:twocents:
Yes, that is the butchered price, wrapped and loaded in my truck. I may just go the 1/2 and 1/2 route. His ham and bacon are quite good.

SmokyOkie
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
You may have already read this thread (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1678)by Salmonclubber, if not, it may be of help.

That price sounds a bit high to me too. There's a lot of waste on a hog for my purposes and about the only thing I pay over $2.00 a pound for is BBS and occasionally spares. Then too, you gotta suffer through some cuts that you might no really want.

salmonclubber
11-06-2008, 11:39 PM
joneser

the price you pay is up to you it sounds like your getting a pretty good deal i suggest that you try doing the bacons yourself and paying for the hams to get done you can cure the hams yourself but it took me 45 days to cure my hams thats a long time to worry if you got it right or not so let the butcher take care of your hams espesally if you have no experence in curing meat the bacon is a lot easier and it will get you fimular with curing meats the bacons there are a lot of options out there and you can cure the pork shoulder into buckboard bacon which is also some great stuff if you need more help i can help you get started

huey

cabinetmaker
11-07-2008, 07:55 AM
That may be the longest sentence I've ever read. Check out that thing on the bottom right of the keyboard. Its called a period. :roflmaoha0:

Joneser
11-07-2008, 08:46 AM
joneser

the price you pay is up to you it sounds like your getting a pretty good deal i suggest that you try doing the bacons yourself and paying for the hams to get done you can cure the hams yourself but it took me 45 days to cure my hams thats a long time to worry if you got it right or not so let the butcher take care of your hams espesally if you have no experence in curing meat the bacon is a lot easier and it will get you fimular with curing meats the bacons there are a lot of options out there and you can cure the pork shoulder into buckboard bacon which is also some great stuff if you need more help i can help you get started

huey
Thanks so much for the input, Huey! I really appreciate and value the opinion of everyone here. I think I'll go the bacon only route this time and if I find that the bacon is easy enough, I may just try one next fall. I gotta hand it to you, 45 days is a long time to obsess over wondering if it's gonna be good or not.
Cheers, Bro! :sign0092:

That may be the longest sentence I've ever read. Check out that thing on the bottom right of the keyboard. Its called a period. :roflmaoha0:
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: