PDA

View Full Version : Proof

Fatback Joe
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Just some proof that I did do my rib test this weekend as planned in honor of the "no pic never happened rule". Did a side by side comparision of 2 rubs.........naturally I liked them equally so the "testing" didn't really solve anything, but I did get to eat some ribs. :D Still unsure what I am going to use for the comp this week.

Used two racks of "rejects" that is what I call any of the ribs that are left after I sort through a case of them an pick out the ones that I want to use for the contest. Keep the rejects for home use...nothing wrong with them for eating, most are just to thin, think, shiners, fatty, etc.

Anyhow, I guess I since I took a few pics I may as well post them. Only got a couple of shots due to the rain......the quality is lacking as well due to overcast and getting dark early, but enough with the excuses, here they are.

Just coming out of the foil (the tips and trimmings are in the foil to the right)

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Proof/rub.JPG

After a little saucing, just about ready to be taken of the smoker

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Proof/sauce.JPG

Remember to take a shot of one before slicing..........but not after. :blushing:

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Proof/house.JPG

Butt Lover's
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Look ***** :)

Do you trim them yourself or have a butcher do it?

Fatback Joe
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Do you trim them yourself or have a butcher do it?

I do it myself. Prior to the contest I buy a case of spares and go through them all and trim them up looking for the best 3 or 4 slabs in the case and then freeze (or use in this case) the rejects and the trimmings for later use.

Chargrilled
11-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Great lookin rejects there bud!!!

Due to shear ignorance I ask these questions.... do the comp turn-ins have to be st. louis style spares or B backs. Could you turn in a full spare rib?

Do you foil all the ribs you do or just the comp turn-ins?

With the trimmins and tips. Do you Q those in foil the whole time? I have destroyed tips as they were overdone and tough. I will not throw away anything so I have frozen tips and trimmins from past events but dont really know what I am doing.

Lookin good FBJ and if I dont get a chance to tell ya before hand, good luck this weekend and post what ya can!!!:sign0092:

Fatback Joe
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Great lookin rejects there bud!!!

Due to shear ignorance I ask these questions.... do the comp turn-ins have to be st. louis style spares or B backs. Could you turn in a full spare rib?

Do you foil all the ribs you do or just the comp turn-ins?

With the trimmins and tips. Do you Q those in foil the whole time? I have destroyed tips as they were overdone and tough. I will not throw away anything so I have frozen tips and trimmins from past events but dont really know what I am doing.

Lookin good FBJ and if I dont get a chance to tell ya before hand, good luck this weekend and post what ya can!!!:sign0092:

For the comps, atleast in the FBA, you can turn it anything you want, BBs, spares trimmed or untrimmed, membrane off or on etc. All that matters as far as the rules go is that you have atleast 8 (FBA) ribs in the box. You have to have them cut into 8 individual pieces.......you couldn't just turn in a full uncut slab for example. I prefer spares for eating so as a result when I decided to get involved with comps, I went with spares since that is what I was the most comfortable cooking. I have considered goint to BBs just due to the fact the most of the presentations that I have seen that I really liked, BBs were used. Anyhow.........yes......you could turn in a whole spare rib.

I foil nearly all the ribs I do. If I do ribs at home I always use it a practice for a comp. The only times I don't is if I am cooking a chit load of them (which isn't often) and then I don't just because of the hassle factor of it.

Trimmings and tips.......I start them out just on the grate just like the normal ribs.......how I treat them after that depends on how thick they are and what I was planning on using them for. The flap of meat on the bone side of the spares usually gets eaten about the time the racks go in the foil. :msn-wink: Most of the time, the tips go in the foil about the same time as the racks then I just check on them as things move along. The ones in the pic above I left in the foil becuase they got too tender and tried to fall apart when I went to moved them out of the foil. I just left the foil open, drained the juices and the firmed back up.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I feel I have it in me to win any catagory.......just need the consistency.

PigCicles
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
You'll do just fine in the ribs buster. You just remember what I told you about the chicken and be sure to report back your results :msn-wink:

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 07:16 AM
You'll do just fine in the ribs buster. You just remember what I told you about the chicken and be sure to report back your results :msn-wink:

Oh.......I have that in mind. :msn-wink::D

Bbq Bubba
11-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Good lookin ribs bro!

Seem familiar to me.......

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Good lookin ribs bro!

Seem familiar to me.......

I know. :blushing: It is getting ridiculous. From here on out I am going to limit my posting of pics to 6 different forums.

Hey.......I heard a rumor that you might be selling a smoker. You should try posting it. :msn-wink:

Bbq Bubba
11-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I know. :blushing: It is getting ridiculous. From here on out I am going to limit my posting of pics to 6 different forums.

Hey.......I heard a rumor that you might be selling a smoker. You should try posting it. :msn-wink:

I put it on the Egg forum and the Stumps forum, wonder why i'm not getting any bites??? :shrug:

PigCicles
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I put it on the Egg forum and the Stumps forum, wonder why i'm not getting any bites??? :shrug:

LOL! Maybe if you get a BGE thermo and a Stumps style coal chute .. :roflmaoha0:

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 11:36 AM
LOL! Maybe if you get a BGE thermo and a Stumps style coal chute .. :roflmaoha0:

That and then really up the price so it seems "special". LOL

peculiarmike
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Those ribs look pretty dang good for rejects. :wings:

Ribs never see foil in my smoker(s).
Cooking comps you can cook any type pork ribs you like, though the most common in comps are back ribs. Don't see too many spares.

SmokyOkie
11-04-2008, 11:50 AM

What did you tell him about the chicken?

PigCicles
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
We'll have to wait to see how the comp turns out first. Just a little something I've kicked around with him :msn-wink:

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Cooking comps you can cook any type pork ribs you like, though the most common in comps are back ribs. Don't see too many spares.

Hmmm......any theories on why that is? :shrug:

I figured down here in FBA country it was probably close to 50/50 based on what I have seen and heard (I don't judge so I don't know what the BS factor is in that ratio). I have had the theory that even though KCBS garnish is not mandatory it is extrememely common, borderline expected, and that with the garnish you would almost have to do BBs to get a nice presentation and still be able to close the box. With the FBA and the no garnish allowed, you have more space to work with.........and it is generally expected to be filled in the box so spares a little more common....it takes fewer good bones to load it up

Sound believable or pure BS? Hell, maybe switchin to BBs is what I need to do to win the catagory and not just be a top 10er. :shrug:

Bbq Bubba
11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Those ribs look pretty dang good for rejects. :wings:

Ribs never see foil in my smoker(s).

Not up here, also about 50/50.
Most winning ribs as of late are spares.

Go to KFC, dunk in BH and serve! :roflmaoha0:

It is hard to get spares to fit, but they fill the box nicely!

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/36/silverlakepics012pw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 12:40 PM

We will fill everyone in on it if the contest this weekend proves the theory..........but until then........cluck, cluck, cluck. :msn-wink:

Chargrilled
11-04-2008, 12:41 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/36/silverlakepics012pw9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By imn88fan (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/imn88fan)

Bubba, are those st louis spares?? Looks great!!!

Sounds like the spares vs. bbacks varies by region??

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the spares vs. bbacks varies by region??

I think so........which is weird considering that fact that so much of BBQ is pretty standard across the country. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
11-04-2008, 12:43 PM
We will fill everyone in on it if the contest this weekend proves the theory..........but until then........cluck, cluck, cluck. :msn-wink:

If its proven well NEVER HEAR ABOUT IT!!!!!!!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

That is why we are tryin to pry it outta ya now!!!

Im going to start bribbing.:tap:

Just kiddin, let us know how it goes Joe.:msn-wink:

Fatback Joe
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Im going to start bribing.:tap:

Ready when you are. LOL

Bbq Bubba
11-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I think so........which is weird considering that fact that so much of BBQ is pretty standard across the country. :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Unless your shopping at Walmart......