PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season Already?

PigCicles
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I was asked to smoke a turkey for a church dinner at noon today. So me being the good Joe I are, I agreed. The alarm went off just before 4:00 this morning. I got up and got the Pig Barrel fired and the 18.5 lb turkey ready.

Not much of a big deal, but I sure would've like to have that "extra' hour of sleep. Turkey went in the smoker at straight up 5:00 A.M. and came out at 11:00 A.M. Ran the smoker between 300 and 325 on the temp gauge. Skin came out nicely crisp and the bird was cooked internally to 174.

Although I know it is determined to be safe around the 165 mark. I personally don't care to take the chance when cooking for someone else. Besides I'm a bit freakish when it comes to poultry anyway - any pink meat near the bone and I'm done.

So here's the only pics I got for it. I didn't get a finished shot and I didn't carve the bird, so no sliced shots either.

On at 5:00 A.M.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/PICT1356.jpg

3 1/2 hrs into the cook

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/PICT1357.jpg

A little closer

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t38/PigCicles/PICT1358.jpg

So with that ... let the turkey cooking season begin ... ugghhh!

Butt Lover's
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Looks good. Never snoked a turkey. About 1 hour per 3 lbs normal?

PigCicles
11-02-2008, 07:56 PM
It really depends on how hot you're smoking. With a bird that big I didn't want it to stay in the danger zone any longer than necessary. Since poultry doesn't need to run low n slow to break down tissues or fibers it can be cooked at a higher temp, just like in the oven.

Some like to take em slower to give time for smoke ring formation and smoke penetration / flavor. But at the higher temps it should run close to your estimate. As you know always allow a little extra time.

SmokyOkie
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM

I never snoked one either, but I've smoked a few.

325 for 20 minutes per pound unstuffed. About 30 minutes longer for a stuffed bird if it's a smaller bird (in the 12# range) and about 15 minutes longer if it's a larger bird (18-20#)

And yes it is safe to smoke a stuffed bird if you cook it at 325.

Personally, I would never cook a turkey w/o something in the cavity. If nothing else, apple slices, oinions, herbs, carrots, celery etc.

Give it a whirl Mike, and share the pix.

Butt Lover's
11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Snoking is much better :msn-wink: I am going to try one Monday, hope it turns out as good as PigCicles :)

BA_LoKo
11-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Snoking is much better :msn-wink: I am going to try one Monday, hope it turns out as good as PigCicles :)

Piggy ain't worth eatin'.........at least that's rumor. :roflmaoha0:

Tell me about this "snoking" that you do though? :smack:

SmokyOkie
11-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Here's a great Cajun turkey rub.

Poultry Miracle Poultry Rub

3 Tbs salt
1 1/2 t paprika
1 t cayenne
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t black pepper,Ground
1 t thyme,Dried
1 t oregano,Dried
1 t rubbed sage
1/4 cumin
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in a covered
container. Sprinkle on any poultry to taste.

peculiarmike
11-03-2008, 03:06 AM

OK. Where do I get a snoker? Always open to another toy.

:stir:

Good lookin' bird Joe!. Not bad for a guy with a finger in a sling. :D