PDA

View Full Version : Spareribs

californiasmokin
10-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Spareribs went on sale for $1.48 lb.I smoked them in the drum using briquettes,and some lump mesquite.Five hours and you can see where they split when I gave them the bend test.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/9364d11b.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/fe20e2c0.jpg

The best I have ever done .Thank You for answering my questions and the good advice.
Now I am going to find some regular lump and try some Hickory:thumbs up:

Butt Lover's
10-31-2008, 05:05 AM
Looks great :)

Fatback Joe
10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
Nicely done. :D

Try a mix of 2 parts apple to 1 part cherry wood sometime if you can get your hands on it.........that combo hits my taste buds just right.

Bbq Bubba
10-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Good lookin ribs!
No wood smoke?
I love the color! :msn-wink:

Chargrilled
10-31-2008, 07:33 AM
Mighty fine vittles there my friend, 5hrs on the drum and done! Spritzing? What temps were you running?

Could you taste the mesquite?? I have never burned with it before, ive heard its fantastic on beef. I will have to give it a go one of these days. Nice lookin Q my friend.:sign0092:

californiasmokin
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Good lookin ribs!
No wood smoke?
I love the color! :msn-wink:

I used one basket of briquettes and a couple of good sized mesquite logs.I also threw in a couple of small chunks of cherry as an afterthought but I think it was too late in the cook because I could not taste it.I dropped in a couple of unlighted briquettes to maintain temp.

With the door its harder to control temps for me.I just started using some wood and mesquite.Before I just used some chips.If I have the drum get too hot I can't close it down like you can.One time when I was having company it got up to 350 and would not come down.I had to take some fuel out with the ash can and take a hose to the drum:roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
10-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Mighty fine vittles there my friend, 5hrs on the drum and done! Spritzing? What temps were you running?

Could you taste the mesquite?? I have never burned with it before, ive heard its fantastic on beef. I will have to give it a go one of these days. Nice lookin Q my friend.:sign0092:
No spritzing
5 hours at 225 ( I think Rob " TX Sandman " posted a 5 hour UDS sparerib cook also)
Yeah you can taste the mesquite.I don't use a whole lot because I Personally don't like an overpowering smoke flavor.The Fat drippings that go into the fire add so much flavor.

I was wrong about Robs cook time.
http://72.167.135.4/forum/showthread.php?t=1406

californiasmokin
10-31-2008, 12:08 PM
Nicely done. :D

Try a mix of 2 parts apple to 1 part cherry wood sometime if you can get your hands on it.........that combo hits my taste buds just right.

Sounds good! Thank for the Tip!

TX Sandman
10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
:thumbs up: Excellent ribs, Paul! Great color, and the split tells me they were tender, too.

JamesB
10-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Dude, those ribs look great!