PDA

View Full Version : Seasoning a Cast Iron Pot

Willkat98
10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Its not truly a Dutch Oven, both thought you all could help me.

I never have been able to properly season my large 6 or 8 quart cast iron pot.

Doing so in the oven is out of the question (wife issues wouldn't let me live down all the smoke in the house).

Tried to do it on the gasser but it was impossible.

I'm trying to get that nice black pettina, and tired of rust removal since its not seasoned properly.

So I though about the Weber Kettle.

With the cooking grate remove, the Pot will easily fit under the lid.

If I can pile up coals all around it (I can light 2 full weber chimneys) I think I can easily maintain 550* for a while. If I can be sure that I have no coals touching the iron pot during the burn in process, do you think I can season it this way?

I figure I can do the lid seperately.

Any thoughts?

I read the other posts here, and couldnt find any seasoning tips, even in Mikes Link

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
If you can hold 350 or so for an hour, you are good to go. Longer is fine, but not necessary IMO, but I am certainly no expert. Remove as much rust as you can, coat it all with oil and into the grill, oven, where ever at 350 to 400 for an hour or so.....I usually leave it in there as the temps drop and when it is cool just wipe it down if any oil has pooled up anywhere and put it away.

Once it is seasoned, for the after use care, I just wipe it down good, use some water (no soap) if I have to if something got burnt on a bit, then oil it up again and give it the 350 treatment for 20 minutes or so. My wife doesn't complain about the cast iron in the oven as long as I remember to take it out after it cools. She get a bit angry if she preheats the oven for something and has to remove hot iron.

Also, if I have cast iron that needs attention, I will try to remember it when I am smoking something, when you are done with that brisket, ribs, whatever, grease it up and put it in there.......make use of those coals that are left.

BTW.....the best thing for the patina is just using it......sure the seasoning needs to be done to help prevent the rust, but if you use it more often, the rust won't ever have a chance and you will get that nice dark color in no time.

Also, one thing I have taken to doing over the last year is after I use some CI and clean it, is just spray it down with PAM cooking spray......easier than messing with the other oils and seems to be working just fine.......no ill effects that I know of.

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
oh......and don't store it with the lid on.......it needs the air flow, prop something in there to keep the lid up, store it separate, whatever, just don't keep the lid on it.

Bbq Bubba
10-27-2008, 12:58 PM
:whathesaid:

That black petina comes from use!
Season it up good and use the heck out of it, it'll turn black soon enough!

Willkat98
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I know I need to use it more, but I also don't think I seasoned it anywhere near properly.

Even after like 10 uses after the initial seasoning, everthing I make (beef stew, chili, etc) all have this oil taste to it. Its like the pores of the metal open up and release oil into the food.

All of it tastes like chitty peanut oil taste.

Bbq Bubba
10-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I know I need to use it more, but I also don't think I seasoned it anywhere near properly.

Even after like 10 uses after the initial seasoning, everthing I make (beef stew, chili, etc) all have this oil taste to it. Its like the pores of the metal open up and release oil into the food.

I'm guessing your leaving to much oil on it after sesoning, or not getting it warm enough.

First thing i do with a new pan (or pot) is cook a chit load of bacon in it, helps speed up the process!

Geek with Fire
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM

I'd take the oil taste. When I use mine, it has a metalic taste if I cook anything even slightly acidic.

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 06:47 AM

Must be you seasoned it with chitty peanut oil. :msn-wink::D:shrug:

Willkat98
10-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Must be you seasoned it with chitty peanut oil. :msn-wink::D:shrug:

I only have that, EVOO, and Sunflower oil

Which should I use?

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I only have that, EVOO, and Sunflower oil

Which should I use?

I don't know....I was just being a smart ***. Out of the 3 though, the EVOO would be last on my list.

I am no cast iron expert by any means, but I am in double digits on the pieces I have and never have had that problem you described.

What brand is it?

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Have you tried scrubing it out good with soap and water? Yes soap......trying your hardest to "unseason" it and start over? Maybe at some point if you had a bit off pooled oil in it that went rancid and that is the cause?.?.?

Teaser
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Unseason it best you can and re-season with lard or Crisco shorting. Use very, very thin coats and build up slowly - 3 or 4 cycles before first use. I like to use lower than the recommended heat for extended cycles (250 for two hours). Move it (the pot) around some to prevent pooling. Using liquid or spray oils will mess things up every time and make food taste like chit.

Willkat98
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
What brand is it?

New Braufels, of course.

I'm brand loyal, bought it after I got the Bandera.

Beside the oil pool thing, I think my problem is the farking fry basket.

Since it came with it, I was using it for frying.

All that frying and that I think is what led to the constant oil taste

nmayeux
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I just use Crisco, and do the thin coats. I like the gasser, as it is outside, but after lubing up, I turn the pot upside down. Ain't nothing to it!

Willkat98
10-28-2008, 06:56 PM
I just use Crisco, and do the thin coats. I like the gasser, as it is outside, but after lubing up, I turn the pot upside down. Ain't nothing to it!

Noah,

For me to use the gasser, I need to lay it on its side (cheap Kenmore mod) and think that was my initial problem, cuz no way did I hold 350* in that swiss cheese POS for an hour or more.

I see your pics, but I think you get some of that pre-treated Lodge stuff lately.

Where the hell was that 5 years ago when I bought this forker from that Big Al Farker!! (Yes, I know I used the "a" term, but in this case it is a proper noun, so I had too. You see, Al would fit in great here, and he fits in on alot of boards. But he lives in Farker, CO. So he is Big Al Farker!)

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Use soybean oil ( Pam, Crisco, Wesson, etc) I like to use Crisco and just smear it on thinly.

I think the oven is the best place to do it. Just put a sheet pan under it to catch the drips. If you do it @ 350 for about an hour and a half then turn it down to 200 r so and leave it for a few hours, I think you'll get what you are looking for. It will get darker over time too, but leaving it in for a while at the lower temp helps a lot.

Of course, if you go buy a new Lodge pot, they come already seasoned now.

Oh, and Josh, I try to avoid cooking anything acidic in CI unles it's porcelain coated like Le Creuset.

Fatback Joe
10-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Of course, if you go buy a new Lodge pot, they come already seasoned now.

I happened to go through a Lodge outlet store about the time they were hot and heavy on moving to all pre-seasoned..........there were great deals to be had on the old school stuff........I wish I would have bought more than I did.

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I spoke with Lodge in late '06. they told me that as of '07 everything would be pre-seasoned, so anything you find that isn't is fairly old stock.

nmayeux
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Not a big fan of the preseasoned stuff. On my new Lodge stuff, I scrubbed the pieces down, and seasoned them properly. To get rid of any oil taste, you will have to scrub down, or burn off the old oil, and reseason. I like Crisco or lard because it leave a neutral flavor and isn't sticky when cool.

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Crisco is basically hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, not a whole lot different than Pam or Wesson oil except it has a little water in it to make it a solid. I like to use it because it smears on thicker than liquid oils.

I haven't had any prollem with my pre-seasoned stuff. what prollems do you have with the factory seasoning?

Cacus
01-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I also think the peanut oil taste is caused by rancidity. When I want to season CI I have a oven I got out or a old motor home, that I use for tailgating at the river also, I use outdoors. It fires up to 450* and keeps the ol lady fro whineing.