PDA

View Full Version : Anybody grind their own chili powder?

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
For years I made what I considered to be good chili. I will still continue to make that same chili, 5 or 10 gallons a year or so.

But a couple years ago I got interested in grinding and making my own chili powder. For the most part I've been grinding Pasilla (Ancho), Guajilla and Arbol chilis.

I've made some chili seasoning by adding garlic, cumin oregano and a few other things to the ground peppers.

I don't know if I can ever go back to pre packaged "Chili Powder" and based on my experiences so far, I'd like to learn more about more different types of dried chilis.

Is anybody else here interested on the same ?

BA_LoKo
10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Tim, I've tried to experiment with drying my peppers this summer and then grinding them in the mill. I've come up with some good powder, but I've yet to recreate powders I can buy commercially.

I'd like to figure it out though.

Butt Lover's
10-27-2008, 07:58 AM
I would like to try and make my own chili powder...but I've never tried.

Chargrilled
10-27-2008, 08:29 AM
For years I made what I considered to be good chili. I will still continue to make that same chili, 5 or 10 gallons a year or so.

But a couple years ago I got interested in grinding and making my own chili powder. For the most part I've been grinding Pasilla (Ancho), Guajilla and Arbol chilis.

I've made some chili seasoning by adding garlic, cumin oregano and a few other things to the ground peppers.

I don't know if I can ever go back to pre packaged "Chili Powder" and based on my experiences so far, I'd like to learn more about more different types of dried chilis.

Friend of mine makes Alton Brown's chili every year and grinds his own peppers.

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

He mixes the above and throws it into a blender till smooth. Do not open the blender till the dust settles!!!!!:ack2:

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Tim, I've tried to experiment with drying my peppers this summer and then grinding them in the mill. I've come up with some good powder, but I've yet to recreate powders I can buy commercially.

I'd like to figure it out though.

Wouldn't you rather create something much better?

I think most packaged chili powders are about 95% ground Ancho pepper with cumin, oregano and garlic. Ground Ancho (pasillo) and cumin will come close to reproducing your run of the mill chili powder. go form there.

I buy dried bulk chilis.

Friend of mine makes Alton Brown's chili every year and grinds his own peppers.

Ingredients

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika

He mixes the above and throws it into a blender till smooth. Do not open the blender till the dust settles!!!!!:ack2:

I've never used Cascabels, but I recently bought somw and will likely try them on my next batch.

peculiarmike
10-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Where did you find a gringer? They are hard to come by, and expensive.

:stir: :roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
10-27-2008, 02:41 PM

If thats not a set up............:roflmaoha0:

not going there!!!

BA_LoKo
10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peculiarmike http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/images/western/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18559#post18559)

If thats not a set up............:roflmaoha0:

not going there!!!

You don't. She's retired now. I think she was on that show "Gilligan's Island". :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Glad Mike got ya first :roflmaoha0:

I too would be interested. I would need to come up with a good source of dried chilis though.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 09:15 PM
You ought to be able to find them at the grocery store.

Siesta Man
10-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Smokie, This is a chili powder mixture that i've developed over the years while living in Mexico. Although it's not what you would call a "purist" type chili powder, this mixture provides all of the flavors that you could want. Personally, I strive for taste over heat, but for those wanting more " Octane " keep some of the seeds from the chipotles and add them to the food processor with the other seeds.

All items in this recipe are dried-----

3---Ancho's
3---Arbol's
3---Cascabel's
3---Chipotle's
3---Pasilla's
3---New Mexico Red's
1---Tbl. Celery seed
2---Tbls. Mex. Cumin seed
2---Tbls. Coarse granulated Garlic
2---Tbls. Loose leaf Mex. Oregano
2---Tbls. Mild Paparika

"Best to do the grinding outside"

Chili's---Using low heat on your grill, heat the chili's until they soften and are workable. Remove stems and seeds, roughly chop and put into food processor.
Put celery and cumin seeds in a foil packet and lightly toast, just until warm, and add to the chili's.

Standing upwind, grind to desired consistancy.

All recipes are just suggestions, so if you don't like some ingredients, forget them.
I use this mixture for everything that you would like to add a little chili powder flavor to, including my rubs for Briskets, Butts, Poultry etc.
Enjoy E.T.

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanx for th info dude. One thing I learned from it was that pasilla and ancho aren't the same thing. I had always been taught that, but your recipe caused me to explore a little further and I now know the difference. The funny thing is that I have bought anchos that were labelled as pasillas.

Do you ever use any Mulattos or Guajillos?

Siesta Man
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Smokie, When in Mex. we used the guajillo often but since we are in the states i'm usiing the N.M. Red.It's almost the same as the guajillo except that it has a little more earthy flavor.
A word of " CAUTION "--Unlike the guajillo, the N M Red has at least 4 different heat levels ranging from a 2-4 scoville to 6.5 so try a taste test if possible. Have never used Mulatto's. Some interesting info---Go to Google Images and pull up tolucafoods.com lol E.T.

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi Smokie, When in Mex. we used the guajillo often but since we are in the states i'm usiing the N.M. Red.It's almost the same as the guajillo except that it has a little more earthy flavor.
A word of " CAUTION "--Unlike the guajillo, the N M Red has at least 4 different heat levels ranging from a 2-4 scoville to 6.5 so try a taste test if possible. Have never used Mulatto's. Some interesting info---Go to Google Images and pull up tolucafoods.com lol E.T.

I think those are on a 1-10 scale as opposed to Scoville units.

The Sandia is up to 2500 Scoville units, as hot as some Jalapenos, and I think some other New Mexico hybrids are hotter then that. I see where the Guajillo is rated as high as 5000 Scoves.

Siesta Man
10-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I think those are on a 1-10 scale as opposed to Scoville units.

The Sandia is up to 2500 Scoville units, as hot as some Jalapenos, and I think some other New Mexico hybrids are hotter then that. I see where the Guajillo is rated as high as 5000 Scoves.
My bad Smokie, You are right. Can't get my scales right. It would still be prudent and save your taste buds and hemroids by tasting peppers if possible. E.T.

Siesta Man
01-16-2009, 05:23 PM

Hi Tim, Was surfing the web for this and that and thinking that I was getting low on chili powder and since I am in New Mexico I decided to check out the local resources. This website has the best variety that I have found for quite awhile. www.newmexicanconnection.com Funny, when we lived in Mex. if I ran low on chili's I would just go to the plaza during market time and get some. It looked something like this only not as large. This market is on the mainland. I will be ordering some chili's to grind up and will have some fresh powder to cook with. Let me know if your type of chili's are available here.. E.T.

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq203/Siesta_Man/Misc/ancho_011.jpg

Abelman
01-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I grow and grind peppers every year. It's a love as is smoking. So, combing peppers and smoking is great. My favorites are Thai Dragons. I enjoy Kung Pao's and Serranos as well. As for heat, these get up there anywhere from 15,000-30,000 scouvilles on the Serranos to 100,000 scouvilles on the Thai Dragons.

I like to smoke them with a fruit wood, like Apple for 2-3 hours at 225. Then, I dehydrate them as the thin skinned peppers work the best. After they are dehydrated, I grind them in a coffee bean grinder and then sift. Here's a pic of the progression. These are Kung Pao's and at the lower end of the heat scale:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/2007.jpg

I just got ahold of some Bhut Jolokia's and they have some heat to be sure. Rated over 1 million scouvilles and in the gunniess book of world records as the hottest pepper. Besides eating off a bit here and there, still playing around with what I can do with them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/abelman/BhutJolokiaGhostPepper.jpg

Overall, I like to add the powder to soups, foods, salsa's, rubs, etc.

SmokyOkie
01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I grew some Bhuts last year. Here's a thread on one episode with them. Link (http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509&highlight=bhut+jolokia)

Search bhut jolokia and you'll find a few threads that involve them. For the record, we watched Pigcicles take a good finger full of my "ninja dust" bhut powder and rub it all over his tongue and gums. He's a stout SOB!

Did you ever notice that Bhut has BTU in it?

Ii have a bunch dried but I don;t know what I'll ever do with them. I'll prolly grow them again next year though.

BA_LoKo
01-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Pigcicles did indeed take a healthy dose. It's easy for me to now say that I could do it, too. I was there, but it wasn't offered, so I was a gentleman and didn't ask for any. LOL Oh well, I didn't want anyone to see me cry. :msn-wink: