PDA

View Full Version : Jambalaya

Fatback Joe
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Saying this will probably make Noah say WTF, but no roux and no trinity.:ack2: But what do I know.......I am from Arizona. :shrug: I am not opposed to either one, just didn't do it like that this go around.

Made batch of Jambalaya on Friday night. I try to measure the spices, and keep about a 2 to 1 stock to rice ratio, but the amount and types of meat going in usually just depends on what I have on hand for the most part. I used 6 thighs for the chicken and new I didn't have any broth on hand so I boned and skinned the chicken in the morning and made broth to use in the jambalaya that evening.

3/4 lb anduoille sausage
1 1/2 lb chicken (thigh meat)
1/2 lb tasso
1 onion
2 TBS garlic
2 tsp fresh tyme leaves
2 tsp sweet basil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 C chicken stock
1 1/2 C rice

Browned the sausage a bit in the DO and then added the chicken.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Jambalaya/Chicken%20and%20sausage.jpg

Kept the heat about medium and stirred just enough to keep things from sticking.....probably 15 minutes

Then added the onion and garlic and kept the heat on medium and stirred occasionally until the onions were kind of limp and clear......maybe another 15 minutes.......at that point added the tasso and herbs and spices.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Jambalaya/Spices.jpg

add the stock and bring to a boil......once it reaches a boil add the rice, turn the heat down a bit and stir things for 5 minutes or so making sure no rice sticks to the bottom

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Jambalaya/Rice%20and%20boil.jpg

When it returns to a boil, put the lid on, kill the heat (thanks for that tip Noah :msn-wink:) and don't even take a peek for atleast 30 minutes..........I think I made it 40 until I could not stand it. I love it how all the meat ends up on top.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Jambalaya/done.jpg

Time to eat.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fatbackjoe/Jambalaya/plate.jpg

californiasmokin
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Never heard of Tasso before.I will have to look for it.

Thanks for the recipe it looks great!

nmayeux
10-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I gots no problem with that! We make a camp dish which is very similar, but we usually use deer sausage and rabbit. Anyway, the dish looks great!

Florida Bill
10-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey Joe,
That's some great looking chow! I haven't made Jambalya in a long time. I have a recipe but yours looks like it's worth trying. I think I'll give it a try. And now with a little chill in the air I'll bet that it will be just what I've been wanting. Thanks for the post.

chef schwantz
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Hey Joe,
That's some great looking chow! I haven't made Jambalya in a long time. I have a recipe but yours looks like it's worth trying. I think I'll give it a try. And now with a little chill in the air I'll bet that it will be just what I've been wanting. Thanks for the post.
When you say a little chill in the air down there, does that mean temps in the 70's?:wings: Snowing here in Minnesnota today.

tsunami_tommy
10-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Hey Joe,

You're right about the chill in the air. And that grub looks awesome!

Any recommendations on what type of unit a guy should by if I want to get on the jambalya scene?

Butt Lover's
10-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Looks tastey FBJ :) Any cornbread?

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Chit.........that sounds good.......didn't even think about it at the time, but now I am wanting some.

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Any recommendations on what type of unit a guy should by if I want to get on the jambalya scene?

If you are talking about cast iron, I am a fan of Lodge. There are other good brands, but just don't buy the cheap stuff, it just isnt as good and I have had a cheap griddle crack on me before.......spend the couple of extra bucks and get one that you can pass on to your kids if you want.

As for size.......well, that just depends on how big of a batch you want to make......I look at cast iron about like I do smokers........I never wish I had a smaller one. :msn-wink:

Chargrilled
10-27-2008, 08:24 AM
If you are talking about cast iron, I am a fan of Lodge. There are other good brands, but just don't buy the cheap stuff, it just isnt as good and I have had a cheap griddle crack on me before.......spend the couple of extra bucks and get one that you can pass on to your kids if you want.

As for size.......well, that just depends on how big of a batch you want to make......I look at cast iron about like I do smokers........I never wish I had a smaller one. :msn-wink:

I will have to follow up with ya on this as I want to get a DO.

Were you sitting that DO on a turkey fryer or what was your heat supply?

The vittles look awesome and the smell must have been amazing!!:thumbs up:

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Were you sitting that DO on a turkey fryer or what was your heat supply?

Yeah it was on a turkey fryer burner, I only use coals for something that needs a steady temp and with the Jambalaya I raised and lowered the temps as needed to get it done.

I used my camp oven (with legs) versus my flat bottom of that size since the legs just happen to fit perfect on the burner frame and holds it in place..........my kids and dogs do a decent job of staying away from it, but I like the added tip over protection.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
What kinda rice did you use?

Never heard of Tasso before.I will have to look for it.
Here's (http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/prodsub/specmeat.htm)what I consider to be the finest Tasso and Andouille. I also have a recipe for Tasso, but haven't tried it yet.

Garlic bread!

Lodge is the only cast iron cookware manufacturer in the United States, and their quality is unparalleled.

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
What kinda rice did you use?

Just regular old white rice (Uncle Bens I think) my kids already find enough to b*tch about without me forking with the rice too.

It kind of goes like this.

Kid 1 - I don't like that Tasso stuff
Kid 2 - I don't like the sausage
Me - Just pick out the stuff you don't like.
Kid 1 - The tasso makes everything spicy
Me - No it doesn't
Kid 2 - The chicken tastes funny
Me - Just eat the FORKING rice
Wife - Now you see why I don't cook anymore.
Me - :misbehaving:

Chargrilled
10-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Just regular old white rice (Uncle Bens I think) my kids already find enough to b*tch about without me forking with the rice too.

It kind of goes like this.

Kid 1 - I don't like that Tasso stuff
Kid 2 - I don't like the sausage
Me - Just pick out the stuff you don't like.
Kid 1 - The tasso makes everything spicy
Me - No it doesn't
Kid 2 - The chicken tastes funny
Me - Just eat the FORKING rice
Wife - Now you see why I don't cook anymore.
Me - :misbehaving:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

I cant even imagine!!

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Here would be my version:

Me- You little field mice seem to have but two choices
A) eat it whether you like it or not.
B) Go to bed very, very hungry tonight, and every other night until it's all eaten.[/COLOR]

Some say I was too hard as a parent.:blushing:

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
As long as their grades are good and they stay out of trouble, I am pretty laid back on the food front. We make them try everything, but how much they eat is up to them..........just don't plan on having anything else. :msn-wink:

But, kids being kids, they will throw a complaint or two in there if they really don't like something.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 03:27 PM
As long as their grades are good and they stay out of trouble, I am pretty laid back on the food front. We make them try everything, but how much they eat is up to them..........just don't plan on having anything else. :msn-wink:

But, kids being kids, they will throw a complaint or two in there if they really don't like something.

Isn't that what i just said?:shrug:

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Isn't that what i just said?:shrug:

Not exactly :msn-wink: but the point was the same I suppose

A) eat it whether you like it or not.
B) Go to bed very, very hungry tonight, and every other night until it's all eaten

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
It's all in how you say it I guess. We never had many complaints or food left on the plate as they were growing up.

It's one of those things that once you establish the ground rules there are no battles anymore.