PDA

View Full Version : 4th comp, 3rd 1st place call

SmokyOkie
10-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Everybody please congratulate The Q Joint official BBQ eam on another 1st place call. This time in pork. We sucked in pork and brisket, and 13th in chicken.

We thought our ribs and brisket were great, and our chicken was equal to what got us a 1st place call at our last comp. Go figger.

The real congratulations goes to Glued2it though. The pork was pretty much all his. While there were a lost of shared thoughts and trial and such that involved the whole team, he pretty well executed this all on his own. (Well, the rest of us did help him keep an eye on the clock a few times).

Congratulations Jeremy. You've come a long way dude. Now the question is, can you repeat next time?

Oh, and for for the record, we had (wasn't it 3) triple 9s with a total score of 174.825 ( correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from memory)out of a possible 180.

Butt Lover's
10-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the Pork guys. Well deserved win!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5168/jenksbbqonthewater044yv4.th.jpg (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jenksbbqonthewater044yv4.jpg)http://img529.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

Chargrilled
10-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Everybody please congratulate The Q Joint

Oh, and for for the record, we had (wasn't it 3) triple 9s with a total score of 174.825 ( correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from memory)out of a possible 180.

Get the FORK outta here man! that is awesome and just builds to the vitality of this website. WE KNOW WHAT WE TALK OF!!!!!..

HELL WITH THIS, MY FAMILY IS MOVING........ TO GET CLOSER TO THE TEAM. YOU ALL REPRESENT ALL OF US PROUD!!!!:sign0092::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

PigCicles
10-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Job :cheer:
Great team effort men ... you too Jeremy! Keep up the good work.

flying illini
10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
That is just great, you all. Congrats.

californiasmokin
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Congratulations guys!!
That is fantastic! :cheer::wings::woohoo:

glued2it
10-26-2008, 06:24 AM
Everybody please congratulate The Q Joint official BBQ eam on another 1st place call.

There may be no "I" In team but there is a "T":roflmaoha0:and in Jenks Ok, there isn't an "A". It's just tem.
Congratulations Jeremy. You've come a long way dude. Now the question is, can you repeat next time?
:sign0092: Yes I can create it again.:thumbs up:

The scores were.
999 999 999 998

1 point shy of a perfect score:woohoo::monkey::wings:

We couldn't have done it without all the help we had.
We have a good team that works well together with some good cooks.
Thats why we only get first place when we win.:msn-wink:

Butt Lover's
10-26-2008, 07:23 AM
I tasted their pork guys and it was great! Glued2it is definately a Butt man :P
Brisket was very good also, suprised you didn't get a call on it.

Fatback Joe
10-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Congratulations!!!!

TX Sandman
10-26-2008, 08:18 AM
:cheer::thumbs up: That's awesome, y'all! Congrats!

Florida Bill
10-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Jeremy and team, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm sure the pork was delicious and WOW! What a score. :wings:

cabinetmaker
10-26-2008, 08:43 AM
It was a great weekend, and hearing the guy announce 1st place goes to the Q joint made all the hard work worth it.

californiasmokin
10-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Do you guys know which events you are going to enter next year?I think it would be great if you could post it so people could attend and support you.

Curt, were you able to snap some pictures?

Congratulations again!

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Congrats on the Pork guys. Well deserved win!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5168/jenksbbqonthewater044yv4.th.jpg (http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jenksbbqonthewater044yv4.jpg)http://img529.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

The old fat guy sure has a way with the ladies, huh? And believe it or not, he's actually smiling!:wow:

Get the FORK outta here man! that is awesome and just builds to the vitality of this website. WE KNOW WHAT WE TALK OF!!!!!..

HELL WITH THIS, MY FAMILY IS MOVING........ TO GET CLOSER TO THE TEAM. YOU ALL REPRESENT ALL OF US PROUD!!!!:sign0092::thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

We're waiting for ya Trav! Economy's better here and the cost of living is lower. Ask Flying Illini.:msn-wink:

The scores were.
999 999 999 998

1 point shy of a perfect score:woohoo::monkey::wings:

We couldn't have done it without all the help we had.
We have a good team that works well together with some good cooks.
Thats why we only get first place when we win.:msn-wink:

You're missing two scores Jeremy. Of course, one was tossed, so technically, you're missing one still.

I tasted their pork guys and it was great! Glued2it is definately a Butt man :P
Brisket was very good also, suprised you didn't get a call on it.

Some will tell you that he always has been a BUTT man.:roflmaoha0::thumbs up:

shenry
10-26-2008, 10:47 AM
A couple pics from the comp. Great job guys, I know I enjoyed every bite!!!

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Would everyone please take notice of wht is closest to front and center in the first photo?

I think it's obvious where Mr Henry's eyes were going.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Would everyone please take notice of wht is closest to front and center in the first photo?

I think it's obvious where Mr Henry's eyes were going.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

HUH,I didnt even notice:roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Looks like yall had a great sunny day, how was the wind?

I see that Okie drum with Rotis made the event, did I get fired up for something??

BBQ gurus being used??

tsunami_tommy
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
great job!!!

peculiarmike
10-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Congrats TEAM Q JOINT! Way to go Jeremy!
Now. Just need to bring it all together. Look at each previous comp and what you did that got you a call.
Did you do your butts on the drum and slow roll them?
That sure is an UGLY drum. :ack2: Needs a paint refresher. I'll bring the stencil and some paint next time down. Casts a bad light on Peculiar Enterprises and SDS. :blushing:

tsunami_tommy
10-26-2008, 11:56 AM

My eyes too...can't hardly blame Mr. henry

ds7662
10-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Congrats guys!!:thumbs up::thumbs up:

TX Sandman
10-26-2008, 01:42 PM

All I'm gonna say is I gotta hang around you guys at the comps. Y'all seem to draw in the cuties. :thumbs up:

glued2it
10-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Did you do your butts on the drum and slow roll them?

Nope, The lugs twisted off when I was trying to load the butts in the cradle. So I just put them on the rack in the drum. All the best turn in meat came off the backwoods. (The piglet)
I guess the Backwoods smokers are the way to go.:thumbs up:

I didn't even drink that much beer that night. Last comp I drank a lot and felt like crap all the next day. I felt so much better this time.:D

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
HUH,I didnt even notice:roflmaoha0::msn-wink:

Looks like yall had a great sunny day, how was the wind?

I see that Okie drum with Rotis made the event, did I get fired up for something??

BBQ gurus being used??

All three Backwoods used Gurus. The drum did 2 butts, but somebody twisted off the screw clamps on the EZ Que so it couldn't be used.

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Here are somew pix that ended up on my camera, but before I post them I want to take the time to thank BA LoKo for his support and help on Saturday-Kev, your help was invaluable. I would also like to take time to thank 2 of the Team TQJ members that have done a marvelous job of fillinf support positions , Cabinetmaker and QPoke. You guys made it possible!

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Jenks%20comp%20Oct%2008/HPIM1331.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Jenks%20comp%20Oct%2008/HPIM1333.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/Jenks%20comp%20Oct%2008/HPIM1334.jpg

chadd17
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Great job guys. Congrats! :thumbs up:

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Tim,

Is that a Q Jointer in the in second pic?

Bbq Bubba
10-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Tim,

Yes, relly need more info on this helper.......

Oh, and congrats Jeremy, lose all those boneheads and you'll do much better!

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Yes, relly need more info on this helper.......

Oh, and congrats Jeremy, lose all those boneheads and you'll do much better!

As I'm sure Jeremy will tell you, those boneheads had an awful lot of input into exactly how that pork was cooked and presented.

We are really into teamwork. Everything we do we do as a team, and I'm ptroud to have Jeremy as a team mate.

The helper, by the way, is my new girlfriend, so you really don't need any more info on her.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::monkey:

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Nope, The lugs twisted off when I was trying to load the butts in the cradle. So I just put them on the rack in the drum. All the best turn in meat came off the backwoods. (The piglet)
I guess the Backwoods smokers are the way to go.:thumbs up:

I didn't even drink that much beer that night. Last comp I drank a lot and felt like crap all the next day. I felt so much better this time.:D

We all think he did it on purpose cuz he didn't want to use it.:msn-wink::roflmaoha0:

I bet you did feel better, especially holding that Blue!

tectulsa
10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
I too tasted the pork and brisket. Both were excellent but the brisket was the best out there out there cause I sampled them all. I got my money's worth.

cabinetmaker
10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Tim,

Yep! thats me on the left!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoh a0: Oh, you meant the other one!:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Did I meet you?

The real shame is that we didn't turn in the SOB. We had decided to try something different in brisket. We all agreed that what we turned in was even better than that, but evidently the judges didn't agree.

I too tasted the pork and brisket. Both were excellent but the brisket was the best out there out there cause I sampled them all. I got my money's worth.

Bbq Bubba
10-27-2008, 12:54 PM
As I'm sure Jeremy will tell you, those boneheads had an awful lot of input into exactly how that pork was cooked and presented.

We are really into teamwork. Everything we do we do as a team, and I'm ptroud to have Jeremy as a team mate.

The helper, by the way, is my new girlfriend, so you really don't need any more info on her.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::monkey:

Sorry Tim, no i don't need more info on her, but a pic from the front would be nice!! :roflmaoha0:

Did I meet you?

The real shame is that we didn't turn in the SOB. We had decided to try something different in brisket. We all agreed that what we turned in was even better than that, but evidently the judges didn't agree.

Tried "something different" on your 4th comp after scoring a first???

What are we gonna do with you guys?? :shrug:

Fatback Joe
10-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Must have been searching for that 180 :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Sorry Tim, no i don't need more info on her, but a pic from the front would be nice!! :roflmaoha0:

Oh, that one. I thought you were talking about the contest organizer in the other thread.:oops:my bad.

The black bottom girl? I guess you'd have to ask Mr Henry about that.

Tried "something different" on your 4th comp after scoring a first???

This was a "doesn't really count contest". The season is over, the Royal is over, it was a great place to experiment.

It was still a bit inconclusive though. I happened to be privy to what a very famous team does when they do brisket. We did it the way they do. It's a whole bunch quicker and easier, and we all tasted it and thought it was the bomb. In fact, we all thought it was better than SOB. Evidently the judges didn't. We may try it again sometime, but for now, it looks like a few more SOBs are in the cards.

SmokyOkie
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Nope, The lugs twisted off when I was trying to load the butts in the cradle. :D

:wow: Boy, I wish I'd been there to see those thumbscrews just twist themselves in half, I mean with nobody touching them or anything!:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::tap:

Capt Dan
10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
A fine showing guys, looks like alot of fun, and good food. Where is the turn-in pic of the winning pork?

I seen the other 3 pics in another thread.:thumbs up:

cabinetmaker
10-28-2008, 06:51 AM
A fine showing guys, looks like alot of fun, and good food. Where is the turn-in pic of the winning pork?

Thosa are Buttlovers turn in pics. We were way too busy to shoot any.

Butt Lover's
10-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I have a feeling that TQJ turn ins were not nearly as sloppy as mine were :)

glued2it
10-28-2008, 09:19 AM

We didn't get any pics of any of the turn in boxes. I left my camera at home on purpose so I didn't have to fool with it.

Were trying to win a BBQ contest not a art show.:roflmaoha0:

Honestly it didn't look much different than last pork turn in.:msn-wink:

Bbq Bubba
10-28-2008, 09:23 AM
We didn't get any pics of any of the turn in boxes. I left my camera at home on purpose so I didn't have to fool with it.

Were trying to win a BBQ contest not a art show.:roflmaoha0:

Honestly it didn't look much different than last pork turn in.:msn-wink:

I'd rethink that if i were you....
You'd be amazed how much you can learn after the fact that you just don't notice while your putting that box together!
How can you expect to get better if you don't know what you did last time? :msn-wink:

Besides.......No pics, didn't happen!!! :shrug:

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
You'd be amazed how much you can learn after the fact that you just don't notice while your putting that box together!

I'll second that thought. It is amazing how much you see in the pics not to mention being able to tell your progression (or lack of) over time.

I don't have pics of every box I have done, but damn near, some the quality of the pic is better than another......but I still think it is a valuable tool.

Now as far as sharing the pics.......that is a different matter. I think anyone that competes can appreciate the unwillingness to share the pics, but I agree that if you don't take them you are cheating yourself a bit.

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM

As usual, we were too busy w/ people's choice etc to get any. Everyone's hands were too messy to handle a camera, and the turn in clock was ticking. We were focusing mostly on getting the boxes to the turn in.

As was stated, those were not our turn ins, bur rather Buttlover's

I have a feeling that TQJ turn ins were not nearly as sloppy as mine were :)

Just different

How can you expect to get better if you don't know what you did last time? :msn-wink:

Besides.......No pics, didn't happen!!! :shrug:

The ribbon and the check are proof that it happened.

Gotcha this time Bubba!:monkey:

I'll second that thought. It is amazing how much you see in the pics not to mention being able to tell your progression (or lack of) over time.

I don't have pics of every box I have done, but damn near, some the quality of the pic is better than another......but I still think it is a valuable tool.

Now as far as sharing the pics.......that is a different matter. I think anyone that competes can appreciate the unwillingness to share the pics, but I agree that if you don't take them you are cheating yourself a bit.

We never seem to have too many prollems w/ appearance. Remember, it's not presentation, it's appearance.

I do agree however, that it waould be good to have th epix, and I don't mind sharing. Appearance is weighted very low, and anyone that wants to beat us will have to get the taste on a par with us first.

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Appearance is weighted very low, and anyone that wants to beat us will have to get the taste on a par with us first.

Yes, it is weighted low, but I believe based on first hand experience and in talking with other competitors that a box with a good appearance score scores better in taste and tenderness as well.

If I did 2 pork entries from the same butt and made a nice presentation with one and just kind of pitched the other one in the box, I will bet that the one that looks good scores better on taste and tenderness than the one just thrown in the box the majority of the time. The numbers are only a small part of the total score, but a good presentation/appearance carries over into the taste and tenderness IMO. I don't think it is anything conscious on the judges part, but I think it happens.

Butt Lover's
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't think it is anything conscious on the judges part, but I think it happens.

Like the smoke ring issue:shrug:

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Like the smoke ring issue:shrug:

Troublemaker. LOL

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, it is weighted low, but I believe based on first hand experience and in talking with other competitors that a box with a good appearance score scores better in taste and tenderness as well.

If I did 2 pork entries from the same butt and made a nice presentation with one and just kind of pitched the other one in the box, I will bet that the one that looks good scores better on taste and tenderness than the one just thrown in the box the majority of the time. The numbers are only a small part of the total score, but a good presentation/appearance carries over into the taste and tenderness IMO. I don't think it is anything conscious on the judges part, but I think it happens.

I think you and I have discussed this issue in the past and were in complete concurrence then as we are now.

I was only saying that I don't mind if other competitors see my turn ins. They won't beat us on that alone.

Fatback Joe
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I think you and I have discussed this issue in the past and were in complete concurrence then as we are now.

I was only saying that I don't mind if other competitors see my turn ins. They won't beat us on that alone.

Hmmm......we were in concurrence......I must have been drunk LOL

SmokyOkie
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know about the drunk part. We just both agreed with what you just said.

Fatback Joe
10-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I don't know about the drunk part. We just both agreed with what you just said.

LOL I remember that, I just misinterpreted what you posted earlier in this thread.

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Maybe you were drunk when you misinterpreted it? :shrug::roflmaoha0:

Fatback Joe
10-29-2008, 11:04 AM
With my current schedule, I only drink on days that end in "y", so it is possible. LOL :msn-wink: