PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Duck ? what to do

fredrogers
10-24-2008, 08:10 PM
After a fruitful day hunting I have 12 duck breasts in my refrigerator as I type.

I would like to smoke them but I am not sure how to prep them.

Should I brine them?

Should I marinate them?

Should I inject them with some yet unknown sauce?

Or maybe a rub?

Any advise or expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all!

-=fred=-

Capt Dan
10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
smoke them till done, and eat with a side of saltine quackers!:roflmaoha0:

fredrogers
10-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice! :roflmaoha0:

-=fred=-

Bbq Bubba
10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Ya got 12, start experimenting.......

Then you can tell US how to do it! :msn-wink:

Chargrilled
10-24-2008, 11:46 PM
that is a great hunt today Fred!!!

Buddy o mine got few gooses!!! :roflmaoha0:

What we do after they marinade is strip the boobs and wrap round chestnut and then some bacon. On direct heat, grill, till bacon is done and we have never had any left!!!!:drooling:

fredrogers
10-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Ya got 12, start experimenting.......

Then you can tell US how to do it! :msn-wink:

Sounds like a fun idea. I think I will.

-=fred=-

Geek with Fire
10-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Not really a smoker suggestion, but I think it's hard to beat chunked up and fried duck breast. I'd first flour them lightly (with a little bit of pepper). Then an egg dip. Finally some course asian bread crumbs. Dip in a hot fryer.

Pippa
10-25-2008, 11:30 AM
smoke them till done, and eat with a side of saltine quackers!:roflmaoha0:

:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: too funny!! Pippa

fredrogers
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Not really a smoker suggestion, but I think it's hard to beat chunked up and fried duck breast. I'd first flour them lightly (with a little bit of pepper). Then an egg dip. Finally some course asian bread crumbs. Dip in a hot fryer.

I had some goose like that just this week. It was very good.

For the duck I think I am going to experiment.

I have prepared the duck 3 different ways:

1. Brine

This consists of Salt, Sugar and water. I heated the water to get all the sugar and salt to dissolve and cooled. Then I put 4 breasts in a zip top bag and pored the cooled brine over top.

2. Marinade

I put about 1/2 cup lime juice 1/2 cup water with a heavy dose of black pepper. Again zip top bagged.

3. Rub

For this I just shot from the hip and put in some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a little bit of cyanne peper. Rubed down and ready for the smoke.

I am going to let them rest in the chill chest like this till this evening when I can smoke them.

I thing I will take them to 160* to 170* I think some ware in that range should be done.

I will post pics and results later.

-=fred=-

SmokyOkie
10-25-2008, 08:05 PM
I have cooked kazillions of ducks (wild and tame alike). I don'r recommend smoking necked duck breast meat.

i would, however, recommend seasoning the cut side with garlic, salt, oregano and black pepper, then rolling them up, rolling bacon around them , toothpicking or skewering them, grilling them over fairly high tempsuntil medium rare, then reducing the heat and glazing with your favorite BBQ sauce, Asian glaze, or anything else that glazes well.

The key to wild duck breast is to not cook it beyond medium. In fact, medium rare is as far as I like to do them. The meat is very rich and tight grained, and when cooked well done becomes way liver- ish.

Now jerky...that's another thing altogether. If you've never had duck or goose breast jerky, it is something you should consider.

Chargrilled
10-25-2008, 08:20 PM
What we do after they marinade is strip the boobs and wrap round chestnut and then some bacon. On direct heat, grill, till bacon is done and we have never had any left!!!!:drooling:
As confirmed

i would, however, recommend seasoning the cut side with garlic, salt, oregano and black pepper, then rolling them up, rolling bacon around them , toothpicking or skewering them, grilling them over fairly high

duck as well as goose my friend.:msn-wink:

I just wish I could send you guys some of these rolls my buddy Terry makes, they are awesome. I will ask him bout the marinade. And be grillin the rolls soon as he got bunches last couple days.

fredrogers
10-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Now you tell me. :msn-wink:

Anyways they are almost done. I am about to pull them off the smoke. I will be sure to report back how it turned out.

-=fred=-

fredrogers
10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Well I just tried the first piece. It was one that I used the rub on.

It was good, not great, but still good. It is really rich meat. The taste was something like rich jerky.

More pics and thoughts to follow.

-=fred=-

fredrogers
10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Well here are the pics from the smoke.

First the prep work:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025080945a.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025080948a.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025080955a.jpg

And now to the smoke.

I smoked them at 175* to a temp of 160*

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025081731b.jpg

Once done I moved them to a plate and tried the rubbed duck breast.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025081953b.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Smoked%20duck/1025081955a.jpg

It was a fun experiment. I am going to have some other people try the duck and give their opinions. I will post them here.

Thanks for all the comments.

-=fred=-

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 03:01 PM
The one in the last pic looks to be pretty rare. Did it come up to 0160176 too?

chef schwantz
10-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I've made duck jerky, comes out pretty good just treating it as you would beef. Also had a friend turn a bunch of snow geese into jalapeno summer sausage. Would have never guessed it was goose.

fredrogers
10-26-2008, 03:17 PM
The one in the last pic looks to be pretty rare. Did it come up to 0160176 too?

I am not sure the temp of that breast. I put the probe it the middle breast and it read 162*. After reading your post I figured I would pull them all.

-=fred=-

SmokyOkie
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I've made duck jerky, comes out pretty good just treating it as you would beef. Also had a friend turn a bunch of snow geese into jalapeno summer sausage. Would have never guessed it was goose.

Yes, by all means, treat it as though it was very lean rich delicate beef and you'll have good eating. The mistake most folks make with wild duck ( and other wild game as well) is thinking that because it's wild it has to be sterilized or something.

Some wild ducks do get gamy. diving ducks (other than Canvasback and Redhead), Gadwalls and wigeons are notorious for this. When you get a duck like that, there's now way to salvage it anyway.

californiasmokin
11-07-2009, 11:40 AM
:bump:

SmokyOkie
11-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Wonder what ever happened to Fred.

Can someone drop him a PM and see if we get an answer?

Great thread this time of year.

gt2003
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Dam n, I missed this thread until now. Guess I shouldn't have take a sabatical. Here is the best smoked duck I've come up with along with the story to go along with it.

I went to Oklahoma State University (keep comments to yourselves...) and the hotel/restaurant mgmt school used to bring in Chef's from all over to help in the Quantity food prep class. We had a guy from Vail ski resort if I remember correctly. He marinated the duck then smoked it. I had tried duck numerous times before and hated it, LIVERY! So, when I took up duck hunting, I pulled this memory back out and here's what I came up with:

Inject the skinless duck breasts with a honey teriyaki marinade (cajun injector has a good one), season the outside with seasoning salt, wrap in bacon and cook until done. UNBELIEVABLE. I had my now ex-wife and all the kids eating duck that they never would have touched before. So, if you get a chance, try it. I think you'll like it.