PDA

View Full Version : My Stumper Clone

smokin Jim
10-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Here is a link to some of my build pictures of the Stumper clone.
http://smokinjimsbbq.com/index.php?pag=album&album_id=16

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u274/smokinjim/My%20pits/IMG_0705.jpg

californiasmokin
10-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Thank you for the link Jim,

It is apparent that you take pride in your workmanship.
When I was snooping around your site I noticed that you also mount your stumper clone onto a trailer.It must be quite heavy.What do you use to lift it.Do you take the wheels off?
Thanks

Fatback Joe
10-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Very nice......oh how I wish I had the skills.

Butt Lover's
10-19-2008, 10:46 AM
That is one kick @#! smoker. Nice work.

SmokyOkie
10-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Can we see the inside? I really want to see inside Bertha.

I've seen Robert and Keri's (hotwire)

Is yours configured similarly? As I recall, theirs fires from the left.

smokin Jim
10-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Mine is fired on the right when looking straight on. I did have it mounted on a trailer along side my 18"dia stick burner. I have since removed it and re-installed wheels on it. I used an overhead crane to put it on the trailer and then we used a hydraulic lift on a truck to take it off. The cooking chamber is 36"x36"x23"deep. Five shelves, of which I normally only use the top 4. I have a large drip pan on the 5th shelf, but can use it for cooking if needed.

Bringin' The Heat
10-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Glad to see you here Jim.Folks this man has done a lot of good for many folks who like to build their own pits.He runs a site that is very devoted to building all kinds of cookers.:thumbs up:

peculiarmike
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Geeez Jim! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
Great pics. Nice Stumps clone! Nice smokers! Good lookin' eats!
Geeeeeeeeez!

:wow: :kewlpics:

SmokyOkie
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
While I've not met Jim in person, I am very familiar with him and consider him a very good ally and welcome comrade here at The Joint. I hope he'll stick around and become a regular.

Hear that Jim?

smokin Jim
10-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Let me get my aids. Hearing aids, that is guys.

Geek with Fire
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Very nice stuff there Jim. Can you talk a little bit about the deflector plate? I'm guessing it is intended to block the hot zone directly out of the smoke chamber inlet opening. I would think that would lead to temperature differences around the edges versus the center of the shelves.

Again, very nice work.

smokin Jim
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Actually, the deflector plate is modified from the original way it was built. It now is a double layered deflector with about a 1/2" air space between the 2 layers. I have it right up against the wall above the fire opening and it has about a 1.5"-2" clearance on the other 3 sides. I have mentioned that my bottome shelf doesn't get used that much and so I have placed a 2" deep custom made aluminum pan which has 2" all around from the sides of the cook chamber. It acts as a drip pan and a 3rd heat deflector. I haven't checked lately with thermometers, but when cooking on the top 4 shelves, I haven't noticed any real difference from front to back or side to side in temperature. I try not to get all worked up about possible temp differences through out my cooking chamber, as every piece of meat cooks at a differnet rate anyways. I just cook till done to the internal that I want.

Geek with Fire
10-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Sorry to keep bugging you, but I'm also curious about the insulation. I've noticed this on several smokers, but I'm wondering why the firebox is insulated, but not the smoking chamber. Is there a reason not to do this? I guess my thinking is that if both were insulated, outside temperatures (especially in the winter) would not cause severe changes.

Any thoughts?

Bringin' The Heat
10-30-2008, 04:46 PM
On the Stumper clones every thing is insulated.The structure of the cooker is usually a tubing frame and then you have an inner wall for the cook chamber ,then an outer wall on the outside with insulation in between.I have seen mineral wool,roxul sp? even fiberglass which I dont recommend for longevity.I cooked all last winter with -20 or more temps and had no problems holding temps.

smokin Jim
10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
As BTH stated, everything is insulated with 1200 deg Roxul insulation. I have cooked at minus 35C which is just about the same in degrees F and outside of using a bit more fuel, I had no problem.