PDA

View Full Version : Chris Lilly's Butt Injection

Butt Lover's
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I was pretty bored at work today and went and bought Peace, Love & BBQ. What an awesome book, lots of goods stories and recipes.

Anway, I ran across this one and think I remember someone asking for this in another topic.

3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C h2o
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C kosher salt, finely ground
2 T Worcestershire Sauce OR soy sauce

PigCicles
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
That's it?? That's simple enough, I'm going to have to give it a whirl.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Short One
10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Sounds good. Hope the butt injection doesn't end up in the BOTB.

PigCicles
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Sounds good. Hope the butt injection doesn't end up in the BOTB.

LOL ... See how you are!? :D

Short One
10-14-2008, 08:29 PM
:blushing: Just telling it like it is.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Bill and Joe will probably be around soon.:uglyhammer:

SmokyOkie
10-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Why you gotta be that way Steve?:roflmaoha0:

Sounds simple alright, but it also sounds inconsequential. I mean, how much flavor coult it add with all the water and AJ in it?

If anybody tries it , let us know. If you reduced the whole mix and pumped it up full I could see hwere it might do some good, but why not add some honey or Karo syrup?

Jake
10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
sorry guys it came up :censored2: here , i thought it was a ****o :blushing: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:
but then i noticed there wasnt enough replies yet so i knew it wasnt:msn-wink: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Geek with Fire
10-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I know you guys won't believe me, but this is the first time I've been on all night, and I've never heard of this Lilly dude.

With that said, I got the wild hair tonight to build a sweet injection for my shoulders this weekend. I wanted a simple syrup, but didn't want it to inject it hot, so I cooked it up tonight and will inject it cool.

I'm not kidding, I just guessed at the measurements, but they are darn close to what you listed above:

1.5 cup apple juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2-3 cracked star anise

Boiled the liquid and added the rest. Reduce to a light syrup. Remove from heat and let the anise steep.

What I haven't decided is, should I inject it the night before, or right before cooking?

Chargrilled
10-15-2008, 07:19 AM
I was pretty bored at work today and went and bought Peace, Love & BBQ. What an awesome book, lots of goods stories and recipes.

Anway, I ran across this one and think I remember someone asking for this in another topic.

3/4 C apple juice
1/2 C h2o
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C kosher salt, finely ground
2 T Worcestershire Sauce OR soy sauce

I just printed Lilly's injection and rub recipes out yesterday for a future try, thanks for adding it here. Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's.

I was more interested in the rub, looked different.

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper

Fatback Joe
10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
If anybody tries it , let us know.

Winterhaven Florida two butts injected on Feb 8th, submitted to judges on February 9th............43rd out of 44 teams. :blushing: Have not tried it since..........I did get one 10 in taste........but that only kept me out of DAL......must have been a relative of Mr. Lilly. :msn-wink:

I don't guess I know what I am doing when it comes to injecting butts.......or the flavors of the injections I have tried just don't work with my rub and sauce........I have tried injecting twice at contests and both times came in next to last..........last time out, no injection, took 4th.....which I was more than happy with after a couple of flirtations with DAL>

Fatback Joe
10-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Bill and Joe will probably be around soon.

PigCircles.........you gonna take that from him?