PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Picnic ham in the cold

fredrogers
10-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I got my first chance to try my smoker in the cold.

I had bought a fresh picnic ham to turn in to pulled pork sandwiches for me and some friends.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011080720a.jpg

Here it is all 5# ready to go. I got up early on Saturday to make sure I had enough time for the smoke.

To my surprise it was 36* F outside when I started and I worried my flower pot smoker would not be up to the task with the cold temps. But with only a few more minutes then usual it was up to temp and producing smoke.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011081132a.jpg

Now that my smoker was online I busied myself by making some bar-b-q sauce.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011081335a.jpg

After a good rest this is the result:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011081715a.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011081715b.jpg

I decided to try my hand at coming up my own rub. I had put too much brown sugar in it and the bark turned black, but the pork still tasted good.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/fredrogers_photos/Pulled%20pork%203/1011081757a.jpg

On the plate with sides :eating:
Good eats!

-=fred=-

Butt Lover's
10-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Looks *****! What kind of slaw did you eat with it?

SmokyOkie
10-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Looks great! I don't know about you, but I think a little black bark in the shreds really adds to it.

ds7662
10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
What Tim said.
The black bark adds character.
I love the stuff.
Good job.:thumbs up:

Capt Dan
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Looks good from here! Was that a cat under the pots in the first pic?
LOL, was it trying to get warm, or waiting for a sample?:D

Chargrilled
10-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Bark looks good, betcha had a ton of flavor. What I have found on some of the darker barks is that I can use most of it just not some of the harder parts. We call em the crunchys and bag them seperate for the chef's treats!!!!:msn-wink: They are great and we look forward to them.

How did the sauce turn out, didnt see any on the sammie? Looks like the flower pot is still in full bloom, even with the colder temps.

fredrogers
10-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Looks *****! What kind of slaw did you eat with it?

I made a buttermilk slaw that had yogurt, miracle whip, buttermilk, pickle juice, dry mustard and black pepper in the dressing.

Looks good from here! Was that a cat under the pots in the first pic?
LOL, was it trying to get warm, or waiting for a sample?:D

Yes the cat was looking for warmth. By the end of the cook all three cats where out there. Luckily they left the food alone.

How did the sauce turn out, didnt see any on the sammie? Looks like the flower pot is still in full bloom, even with the colder temps.

The sauce was great! Right after that pic I put a good amount on the sandwich and half way though I put a little more on. :msn-wink:

Thanks for all the great responses!

-=fred=-

fredrogers
10-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Looks great! I don't know about you, but I think a little black bark in the shreds really adds to it.

The end result was very good in fact I wonder if the hard solid bark helped keep the pork moist?

Anyway you dice it, the pork was great!

-=fred=-

SmokyOkie
10-14-2008, 09:33 AM
We need a recipe for the auce and the slaw dressing Fred.:thumbs up:

fredrogers
10-14-2008, 09:35 AM
We need a recipe for the auce and the slaw dressing Fred.:thumbs up:

No problem I would love to share. As soon as I can I will post the recipes.

-=fred=-

fredrogers
10-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Recipe for the slaw:

Ingredients

1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced (I am not sure how much this would be in weight about a pound total)
1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 fluid ounces plain yogurt
2 fluid ounces mayonnaise (I have used both mayo and Miracle whip, but i prefer Miracle whip)
1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Kosher salt, as needed
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Directions

Generously salt the cabbage and drain in colander for 3 hours. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the cabbage and carrot. Whisk to combine evenly. Toss the cabbage and carrot with the dressing.
Preparation time: 3 hours and 30 minutes Easy of preparation: easy

Do not skip the draining step. This will ensure that you are left with cabbage with very little water in it to weep into the slaw making it soupy.

Enjoy!

-=fred=-

SmokyOkie
10-14-2008, 10:09 AM
You are the first one other than myself that I've known to use the salt and drain technique. I also use it for diced cucumbers for a tartar sauce recipe that I developed, and a few other places as well.

Questions:
What kind of pickle juice do you use. dill, sweet, b&b...?

Do you use mayo, or Miracle whip?

Could you give us an idea as to weight on the cabbage? I think a lot of us would like to use pre-shredded bagged cabbage.

Instead of answering my questions, maybe you could just edit your post and then everybody would see would have it if they want to print it off.

fredrogers
10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Barbecue Sauce:

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, minced (i like to use a food processor)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne popper
1 cup ketchup
5 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Franks red hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Heat Oil in a saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 min. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 15 to 20 seconds.

Next stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 25 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cool to room temperature before serving, about 1 hour.

Be sure to let the sauce rise to room temerature if you have stored it in the fridge for maxium flavor.

Note: if I am going for a more sweet sauce I add brown sugar to the mix and if I am going for a hotter sauce a skip the cayenne and use a minced chipotle chile in abodo sauce.

-=fred=-