PDA

View Full Version : i found some lump up here finally

Jake
10-09-2008, 08:26 PM
:woohoo::wings: YES i finally found some lump up here, after looking everywhere and not finding any and people looking at me like i was a little slow, i was out in abbotsford redoing my mortgage and beside the place was a butcher shop called the mad butcher, well we were early so of course were else would we go while we waited, well low and behold what did i find LUMP :wings:so of course i bought the only 3 bags i could see they had, and asked if they carry it all year long (and told yes they do :woohoo:) they carried a bunch of sauces i have never seen out here before too, including some pappy's, no dry rubs but wet ones mostly, and they were almost all hot sauces, a few dry rubs (some called Jake's:msn-wink: what i never heard of) a lot more $$ there but what they heck would i expect from a butcher shop, i bought a bourbon sauce, not sure yet what I'll use it for but it looks and sounds good. I'll post the names of the lump and the sauce once pip gets home, (i forgot it in her trunk:blushing:) none the less its a small victory for us, and i cant wait to try the lump you guys all rave about.:thumbs up: now what the heck to smoke this weekend, i think it might be that lamb smoky did (it looked so good)
also they carried these chips what looked like little round chips/pucks i never seen these before you guys??

BA_LoKo
10-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Jake, congrats on the lump! I think you'll like it. I look forward to hearing what brand it is.

As far as the chip/pucks thingies. I think those are for the Bradley line of smokers. I'm not sure though.

Butt Lover's
10-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Our dealer her in OKC give me some of those Apple chunks/compressed sawdust to try. I am not a big fan, you have to break them up with a screw driver and they just turn into dust :(

Congrats on finding some lump...you will like it.

Jake
10-09-2008, 09:31 PM
name of the lump is Chaco lump charcoal
name of the sauce is pappy's xxx white lighnin (all the love you'll ever need, bbq sauce and more (9.99 a bottle i think i got screwed :blushing: but gotta try it)
butt lover your right about the look of those chips i saw reminded me of hamster chips, im not sure of the consisity but it didnt appeal much to me, but i thought about it and decided no.
talk to you guys soon as my nucks game is about to start. yahoooooooo
go nucks go

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Never heard of that brand of lump Jake. Let us know how it does. a lot of lump is made from South American woods and sparks a whole lot leaving little cinders all over everything including the food. If yours is like that, don't let it sour you on lump altogether.

I think that BA LoKo is prolly right on the pucks. The Bradley smokers use them kinda like a Traeger uses pellets.

I think that pellets as well as pucks lose a lot in the processing.

TX Sandman
10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
:thumbs up: Congrats on the find, Jake! I think you'll find you get more sparking and a hotter fire with lump coal, but less ash and, IMO, better flavor. It'll take practice to get it down, but it's worth it.

name of the lump is Chaco lump charcoal

Is that the brand name, or the region where it's produced? There's a Chaco region in Argentina that produces ccoal, so maybe there's a different brand name.

SmokyOkie
10-10-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm leery of Argentine lump c'coal.

chef schwantz
10-10-2008, 10:58 AM
The stuff I get is called Cowboy charcoal. Its not true lump, but made from hardwood cutoffs of lumber and mouldings. I get pieces with tounge and grooves, mortises, and patterns. It's kind of neat. I get it at the hardware store in 22lb bags for $!!.95. Beats the hell out of paying $16.95 for Big Green Egg lump. I only use briquettes if I have absolutly no other choice.

Jake
10-10-2008, 05:33 PM
:thumbs up: Congrats on the find, Jake! I think you'll find you get more sparking and a hotter fire with lump coal, but less ash and, IMO, better flavor. It'll take practice to get it down, but it's worth it.

im going to kill 2 birds with 1 stone tonight, doing up some braising ribs in a korean bbq sauce, and some abts im going to give a shot too. yes

Is that the brand name, or the region where it's produced? There's a Chaco region in Argentina that produces ccoal, so maybe there's a different brand name.

funny you say that the lady at the store tells me a lot of locals from where ever come to but it there and she thinks the name is the place it comes from

I'm leery of Argentine lump c'coal.

oh chit dont tell me that i finaslly found some:ack2:

The stuff I get is called Cowboy charcoal. Its not true lump, but made from hardwood cutoffs of lumber and mouldings. I get pieces with tounge and grooves, mortises, and patterns. It's kind of neat. I get it at the hardware store in 22lb bags for $!!.95. Beats the hell out of paying $16.95 for Big Green Egg lump. I only use briquettes if I have absolutly no other choice.
heres what it says on the bag made of 100% hardwood burns clean and lasts longer while adding the distintive flavor of pure charcoal to your bbq. chaco lump charcoal is made from recycling selected hardwood sawmill residues from the following species:yellow quebracho, red wood (weiberholz) guaiacwood (palosanto)

here is what i found on the net, about the name (googled it) do i light it the same in the chimminy??? i'll wait to hear from you guys before i try??

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,times">

Jake
10-10-2008, 05:36 PM
chit why does it show what i copied from the net but not post it??

californiasmokin
10-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Jake,What are you going to put in your abts?
The first time I made them I put cream cheese in half and Colby jack in the other half.
I'll preferred the Colby jack cheese.
Do you use Royale Bacon?It is my favorite!!!

Jake
10-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Jake,What are you going to put in your abts?
The first time I made them I put cream cheese in half and Colby jack in the other half.
I'll preferred the Colby jack cheese.
Do you use Royale Bacon?It is my favorite!!!

im going for cream cheese motary jack cheese and some honey ham stuffed in them., we dont carry royal bacon but im going with a bacon i like from work (its actually store brand but not all fat) here goes nothing.
first funny thought i was coring the peppers and and the juice and seeds go in my eyes , no burn yet though, i even went and bought gloves cause it said it in both posts, :msn-wink: here goes nothing

chef schwantz
10-10-2008, 08:49 PM
It lights well in the chimmeny, if it is true lump you may want to bust up some of the bigger chunks so they fit better. I usually open the bottom of my weber alll the way, and regulate the heat with the top damper about 1/2-1/3 open. Remember this stuff tends to burn hotter than briquettes.

SmokyOkie
10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
It's good that they list the specific wood types. let us know how you would review it. What most of us look for is even burn, lack of sparking (some of the S.A. stuff burns like fireworks, spewing miniature cinders all over everything), good flavor, even sized pieces w/ no powdered stuff at the bottom. If it passes all that, then it's pretty good stuff.

After you braise the Korean ribs, are you going to sear them to set the suace and crisp them up?

I really enjoy your adventurous spirit. That is the essence of creative cooking.

We'll want pix!:thumbs up:

californiasmokin
10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Found this link on making your own lump charcoal.
http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/MAKING%20CHARCOAL.htm

Here is another
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/18.html

And this one rates the different brands
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

SmokyOkie
10-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I guess I'll have to try making some exotic lump coal now....thanx alot!:tap::roflmaoha0:.

Interesting site.

The naked whiz site is an old standby. They finally evaluated the Ozark Oak I sent them I guess. either that or ozark oak sent them some. They still rated it #1 last time I checked.

Jake
10-15-2008, 08:31 PM
It's good that they list the specific wood types. let us know how you would review it. What most of us look for is even burn, lack of sparking (some of the S.A. stuff burns like fireworks, spewing miniature cinders all over everything), good flavor, even sized pieces w/ no powdered stuff at the bottom. If it passes all that, then it's pretty good stuff.

After you braise the Korean ribs, are you going to sear them to set the suace and crisp them up?

I really enjoy your adventurous spirit. That is the essence of creative cooking.

We'll want pix!:thumbs up:
well you seen the pic's of the korean ribs, im sure. as its a staple here at our house. so on review of the lump it did spark at times i think i told pip it was like having a sparkler/s at times, the size of the pieces seem to vary most were reg. size but then i had some what were all differnet, (i just broke them up)
no powdered stuff yet. is that bad if i come across that??
for the ribs i always give then a sear over high heat, then move them over, to still get the heat for a couple minutes. but because they are so thin they are never on long after the are given the flame, i can do a steak on my Q in 2 min a side and have it come out med. honest no bull, most people think it would be pulled off rare, but it never is, its always med, med rare, and all in 6 minutes if i want it more done, usually i do it 2 min and change a side (grill obviously hot) tent then serve. sometimes the grill marks slow me down a extra 10 15 seconds a side.:msn-wink: i should mention that i never do fast frys either so the steaks are always inch inch and a half, if super thick obviously it takes a little longer.
i forgot to say once i sear in the sauce to get the carm it gets real simple after that, locks in the love and then its just getting it were you want it, now im not saying you can just throw a slab of meat on and sear it and then its done, for me i think its learning your grill and what it will do for you, hot spots warm etc etc, and using it to your advantage. hope this makes sence

SmokyOkie
10-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Powdered stuff is just waste. It won't do anything for you. the sparking thing seems to be a trait of the South American woods.

Variation in size is normal, but too much variation can be a prollem for obvious reasons.