PDA

View Full Version : Pork Question

Butt Lover's
10-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Do you guys 'sauce' your pork for turn in at contests? If so what kind of sauce do you use...mustard base...vinegar base...Oklahoma style sauce...???

For our first contest we put pulled pork with some chunks of bark, we put a little Oklahoma style sauce on them but it came out sweet :tap:

Fatback Joe
10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Down here in Florida, sauce seems to be a must. I went no sauce and light sauce my first couple of times out and got hammered, sauced it up with a sauce that didn't score so well, but it got me out of the bottom dwellers on the results page, then this last contest I found one that they seem to like and got 4th place...........IMO nothing changed from one contest to the next as far as how the pork turned out, my methods, etc. I think my presentation has gotten better with each comp, but the real key for me seemed to be the sauce. I guess the next comp will tell if it was a fluke or not.

Oh......I used Head Country Original.........don't know how it would do in OK since it is so prevelant there, but it did well here......atleast once.

cabinetmaker
10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
The website from last years comp said "Please, no sauce on turn in boxes". I assume it'll be the same this year.

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Do you guys 'sauce' your pork for turn in at contests? If so what kind of sauce do you use...mustard base...vinegar base...Oklahoma style sauce...???

For our first contest we put pulled pork with some chunks of bark, we put a little Oklahoma style sauce on them but it came out sweet :tap:
I think we've determined that you need to sauce it up pretty well. Okla style sweet smoky ketchup seems to be the (traditional) aue that the judges like.

......IMO nothing changed from one contest to the next as far as how the pork turned out, my methods, etc. I think my presentation has gotten better with each comp, but the real key for me seemed to be the sauce. I guess the next comp will tell if it was a fluke or not.
Oh......I used Head Country Original.........don't know how it would do in OK since it is so prevelant there, but it did well here......atleast once.
What did you do to change your presentation?

The website from last years comp said "Please, no sauce on turn in boxes". I assume it'll be the same this year.

Where did you get that info Curt? I've been trying to get a copy of the rules from the for a couple weeks now.

I can't imagine that they don't allow sauce, not in KCBS events.

Maybe they mean ON the outside of the box.

Fatback Joe
10-09-2008, 02:25 PM
What did you do to change your presentation?

First off, I had an actual plan going into it insted of just winging it and second I really loaded the box with meat..........the box was heavy. Nothing fancy like some of the ones you see with sliced and pulled and stuff.........just got an idea and went to town. My presentation scores weren't all the bad to start with, but they did go up when I loaded the box and sauced everything...........oh......and this last time, I sauced each piece of pork individually.

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 02:36 PM
So what did you turn in, shreds and sliced? If so, what part did you slice, and when did you remove it from the butt?

cabinetmaker
10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Where did you get that info Curt? I've been trying to get a copy of the rules from the for a couple weeks now.

I can't imagine that they don't allow sauce, not in KCBS events.

Maybe they mean ON the outside of the box.

Last week they still had the info from last years comp, including entry forms and rules. Today its just a front page with links to "info coming soon".

http://www.riverwalkbbq.com/ :shrug::tap:

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 08:57 PM
the week before last, I couldn't even find that. I think the gal in charge is a little lackluster. She emailed stuff in a Pub file that I couldn't open, then when I called her she said she would mail everything. all I got was a schedule. I have emailed and called, but got no reply.

Butt Lover's
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I could never get in touch with her either. I was trying to find out if they will have volunteers to help with the taster's choice.

Bbq Bubba
10-09-2008, 09:10 PM
All i'll add at this time is, if you ain't saucing, you ain't walking.....

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
All i'll add at this time is, if you ain't saucing, you ain't walking.....

What you said about the average store bought sweet sauce. I think thta's what the average judge expects and wants.

Fatback Joe
10-10-2008, 06:29 AM
So what did you turn in, shreds and sliced? If so, what part did you slice, and when did you remove it from the butt?

Pulled, removed just a few minutes before I was ready to box it. Sauce each piece individually with warm sauce, threw it in a pan to set it a bit then into the box.

I made a bed of the pieces from around the bone, pull them off in one chunk then kind of squish them abit between your thumb and forefinger to where they kind of fan out a bit. Then put chunks of the "money muscle" on top of that bed. Two butts are needed to have enough meat.

Fatback Joe
10-10-2008, 06:30 AM
What you said about the average store bought sweet sauce. I think thta's what the average judge expects and wants.

I would agree

Butt Lover's
10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I was dissapointed when we entered our first contest this year and 90% of the contestants were using Head Country. I love the stuff but my partner and I swore never to use store bought rubs or sauces. Maybe thats why we didn't place :shrug: Oh well, makes it more interesting.

Jake
10-10-2008, 05:49 PM
i bought a couple butts to do today, but i was talking with some of my meat guys and the said they know a guy who says to do it with bone in butt (:blushing:) cause the bone helps cook it etc etc any truth bone in or bone out is better for pulled pork, gotta know im doing my first couple soon and guess they will be boneless or ill do something different with them if need be, so much to learn so much to learn:msn-wink:

Butt Lover's
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I've never cooked a boneless butt/shoulder...but it's still pork - so I know it will be tasty :)

Jake
10-10-2008, 06:03 PM
I've never cooked a boneless butt/shoulder...but it's still pork - so I know it will be tasty :)
so bone in is your choice i guess. just cause thats the way you alway did it or is it the unwritten rules?

cabinetmaker
10-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Jeramy's Poetic tutorial on butts. Good reading.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128

Butt Lover's
10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
IMO, you get better flavor in any meat when it has a bone in it. But with all the fat a butt/shoulder has, you are going to get plenty of flavor without a bone also. But that's just me, I am certainly no expert.

Nice tutorial!

SmokyOkie
10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
The bone/marrow contains a large amount of collagen which converts to gelatin when cooked. this adds considerably to mouth feel and overall richness of the finished product.

Do your pulled pork bone in. If you want a piece of hot roasteed slicing meat, then do the boneless.
T
Butt lover, you gotta give 'em what they expect. You don't have to use bottled sauce. You can use modified Head Country, or for that matter, make your own sauce, but make a traditional sauce. While head Country is an excellent all around sauce, it's not the end all. Just remember that what wins will be a traditional sauce.

I really like my Po Boys sauce and also Blues Hog Tennesse Red. They are mustard and vinegar base sauces. They are my faves, but I don't think they'll score well in a KCBS comp.

nmayeux
10-11-2008, 07:17 AM
At comps we sauce lightly with a sweet/spicy doctored sauce to both provide the expected flavor, and to keep the pork from drying out in the box. At home, we serve our pulled pork without sauce because you just don't know what kind of flavor your guests like. Its much easier to have several different kinds of sauce in bottles on the side. Anyway, my personal feeling is that the pork should speak for itself...

Outside of competition, we now cook with boneless butts. First, when buying large amounts of meat, we are not paying for bones and fat. Second, when we are done, we spend less time separating the fat out. Third, it is much easier to load the smoker and foil pans with the 4lb boneless cuts. Lastly, in a blind taste tests, nobody has yet to tell the difference between the two.

With that said, you get a better "au jus" with bone in butts (which I add to my sauce and beans), and they seem to cook faster due to the bone radiating heat.

nmayeux
10-11-2008, 07:20 AM
IMO, you get better flavor in any meat when it has a bone in it. But with all the fat a butt/shoulder has, you are going to get plenty of flavor without a bone also. But that's just me, I am certainly no expert.

Nice tutorial!I believe that you might get some more "depth" of taste, but the flavor is set with the rub, marinade, smoke, and the cut of meat.

Bbq Bubba
10-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I was dissapointed when we entered our first contest this year and 90% of the contestants were using Head Country. I love the stuff but my partner and I swore never to use store bought rubs or sauces. Maybe thats why we didn't place :shrug: Oh well, makes it more interesting.

Don't be dissapointed, 90% of the teams up here use Blues Hog......

You have to go with what is winning, besides, i don't use anything straight out of the bottle, we do a lot of doctoring to those sauces.

Butt Lover's
10-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I guess dissapointed was a bad choice of words. Suprised would be more like it. I have learned alot in my two competitions. They are nothing like I thought they would be! I thought there would be a bunch of guys who would never share anything and tell you to get lost if you come around asking questions. It's not like that at all and I really enjoy going to them. They are also pretty addicting...I am hooked!

Bbq Bubba
10-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I guess dissapointed was a bad choice of words. Suprised would be more like it. I have learned alot in my two competitions. They are nothing like I thought they would be! I thought there would be a bunch of guys who would never share anything and tell you to get lost if you come around asking questions. It's not like that at all and I really enjoy going to them. They are also pretty addicting...I am hooked!

Thats what i'm talking about! :msn-wink:

Have never learned as much as i have 2 yrs on the circuit!

Between that and some great friends on these forums, I have been able to walk in every contest entered and get better every outing!

Fatback Joe
10-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Yep, the competition folks are pretty helpful.....just don't believe EVERYTHING you get told. :msn-wink:

tinman
07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Then put chunks of the "money muscle" on top of that bed. Two butts are needed to have enough meat.

Hate to ask such a newbie question, but what is the "money muscle"?

O B City
07-06-2010, 04:21 PM

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p401/nuthinflatranch/boston-butt1.jpg

californiasmokin
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Nothing wrong with asking questions.

Please go to" Cmon in " to tell us a little about yourself so the crew can welcome you right!!!