PDA

View Full Version : Chicken W/ Sweet Chili Sauce

californiasmokin
10-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Marinated some boneless skinless chicken thighs in sweet chili sauce.I have tried this on the grill with good results but putting them in the drum with a little mesquite made it great!
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/IMG_0237.jpg

Made some abt's.I think they count as a vegetable:roflmaoha0:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/IMG_0238.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/IMG_0240.jpg

Chicken was Delicious.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/californiasmokin/IMG_0239.jpg

TX Sandman
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
:eating: Looks good, Paul! And I see some green on those ABTs, so they count in my book.

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Looks great Paul.

We're big ans of Mae Ploy. It's very popular among Vietnamese and Thais in these parts as a spring roll dipping sauce (and you haven't had spring rools until you've had the all meat Viet version)

It's real sweet with a nice pepper flavor, but not very hot. I like to add bird pepper flake to it.

I've never used it to glaze grilled food but I will now!

peculiarmike
10-08-2008, 09:49 PM
OK. Now you have me looking for Mae Ploy sauce. That chicken looks killer.

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
The kitchen is not complete without a bottle of Mae Ploy in the fridge or pantry!

It's imported stuff, sometimes you have to settle for another brand name, but it's unmistakeably the same stuff. Thinshreds of sweet peppers in a sweet base.

Chargrilled
10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Great lookin chix, will have to try, how long on the smoker at what temp range did they go??

Thanks for the idea on the marinade, always lookin for something new.:thumbs up::thumbs up::drooling:

californiasmokin
10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Looks great Paul.

We're big ans of Mae Ploy. It's very popular among Vietnamese and Thais in these parts as a spring roll dipping sauce (and you haven't had spring rools until you've had the all meat Viet version)

It's real sweet with a nice pepper flavor, but not very hot. I like to add bird pepper flake to it.

I've never used it to glaze grilled food but I will now!

Thanks Tim,
My best friend Dean is the one that I got the idea from.
You are right it is very family friendly in its bottled form but can be spiced up with some crushed red pepper or hot chili oil very easily.

californiasmokin
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Great lookin chix, will have to try, how long on the smoker at what temp range did they go??

Thanks for the idea on the marinade, always lookin for something new.:thumbs up::thumbs up::drooling:

I did them in my UDS for 1 1/2 hours at 225.My grill is only about 20" above my charcoal basket not the 24" that most of the guys on this forum are using.And I have never tested my Temp gauge to make sure it is accurate but I would guess that would be about right.

It has a lot of sugar just like the Soy Vey Teriyali sauce so it will burn easily.I love it when it has just the right amount of crispiness to it but its not burnt .So be careful if you are grilling as you can see that it crisped up nice in the drum.

Jake
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
OK. Now you have me looking for Mae Ploy sauce. That chicken looks killer.

The kitchen is not complete without Mae a bottle of Ploy in the fridge or pantry!

It's imported stuff, sometimes you have to settle for another brand name, but it's unmistakeably the same stuff. Thinshreds of sweet peppers in a sweet base.

this is the exact stuff what i was talking about in a past post that i call **** sauce, (thats the brand out here, the stuff is awesome and i swear by it, it also has one for spring rolls too, and obviously Vietnamese staple. again i swear by it and its like 99 cent at my store:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks Tim,
My best friend Dean is the one that I got the idea from.
You are right it is very family friendly in its bottled form but can be spiced up with some crushed red pepper or hot chili oil very easily.

There is a similar product that comes in a bottle kinda like an old fashioned 12 oz. ketchup bottle. It has a clear base like the Mae Ploy, but it also has a little heat as well. I keep a couple bottles in the pantry for multiple uses, I know it when I see it, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Maybe Maggi sweet pepper sauce?

It has a lot of sugar just like the Soy Vey Teriyali sauce so it will burn easily.I love it when it has just the right amount of crispiness to it but its not burnt .So be careful if you are grilling as you can see that it crisped up nice in the drum.

I like to get just a little burnt edge for the crispy and caramelized factor. to me, grilled chicken isn't quite right without a few "skidmarks" on it.

Jake
10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I like to get just a little burnt edge for the crispy and caramelized factor. to me, grilled chicken isn't quite right without a few "skidmarks" on it.[/quote]
:blushing::blushing: :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:better your chicken than your underwear.:msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Agreed indeed!:roflmaoha0:

californiasmokin
07-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Has anyone else tried the Mae Ploy sauce.I meant to make some at the gathering but didn't write myself a note so I forgot.:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Tim and Trav know what I am talking about!!!

I can't remember "squat" sometimes.

I just remembered today.Go Figure:shrug:

SmokyOkie
07-18-2009, 10:14 PM
You were going to make some Mae Ploy sauce???

californiasmokin
07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
No I just wanted people to try it.Something different thats all.

Today I was checking out "Huli Huli" sauce from Hawaii.My brother sent me a bottle a few years back.Forgot about until today.

SmokyOkie
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I bought a bottle of Huli Huli. I thought it was a bit uneventful. It was just kinda like soy sauce with a little ginger and garlic in it as I recall.

I think I used most of it building a marinade. I guess in Hawaii they put it on everything as a condiment.

californiasmokin
07-18-2009, 10:32 PM
I bought a bottle of Huli Huli. I thought it was a bit uneventful. It was just kinda like soy sauce with a little ginger and garlic in it as I recall.

I think I used most of it building a marinade. I guess in Hawaii they put it on everything as a condiment.

Quite a few recipes on the web.Lots of variations.

crewdawg52
07-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Job well done :thumbs up: Huge fan of Asian sauces...... mild, medium, or "my rear end will hurt"! Tons of flavor in all of them...... even the hot ones.

the_selling_blues_man
07-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Looks great :thumbs up:

I sure love the flavors of some of the different Asian sauces..........

Thanks for sharing.

chadd17
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Got the wife out looking for some of that now. Thanks for posting Paul. I gotta try that. :thumbs up:

Siesta Man
07-19-2009, 02:22 PM
There is a similar product that comes in a bottle kinda like an old fashioned 12 oz. ketchup bottle. It has a clear base like the Mae Ploy, but it also has a little heat as well. I keep a couple bottles in the pantry for multiple uses, I know it when I see it, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Maybe Maggi sweet pepper sauce?

I like to get just a little burnt edge for the crispy and caramelized factor. to me, grilled chicken isn't quite right without a few "skidmarks" on it.

Hi Tim, I've never used the brands that you guys are talking about but back in the 80's, when I was still driving, we used to stop at a Thai restaurant by Travis A.F.B. in Fairfield Ca.
and got hooked on a product that sounds just like the kind that you folks are using. Liked it so much I bought 6 bottles. It's called
"Caravelle Sweet Chili Sauce", a product of Thiland. They call it the best. Advertising?? Just google it. I think Amazon has it available in the 24 oz. size. I think most larger asian mkts. stock it also. Use it for anything off of the grill that I want the asian/ polynesian sp. flavors.
If you find some, give it a try. you won't be dissapointed. Comes in smaller bottles to.:thumbs up:
E.T.

SmokyOkie
07-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Job well done :thumbs up: Huge fan of Asian sauces...... mild, medium, or "my rear end will hurt"! Tons of flavor in all of them...... even the hot ones.

I avoided hemmorhoid urgery eating srirracha sauce.