PDA

View Full Version : Ninja powder

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I picked some Bhhut Jolokia peppers the other day and dehhydrated them in the oven. Ever notice how much they look like a flame....coincidence? I think not!
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/bhut%20jolokia/HPIM1235.jpg

I laid them out on the oven rack and left them overnight @150 with the oven door cracked open by a spoon.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/bhut%20jolokia/HPIM1236.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p190/dickeydoobbq/bhut%20jolokia/HPIM1237.jpg

Once they dried out, I put them in the spice mill and ground them into a fine powder. This stuff is wicked. it's such a fine powder that just opening the container puts it into the air and goes straight to the eyes and nose. I'm sure that if you blew some in somebody's face that it would take their breath away and temporarily blind them.

I think I'll keep it around and use it a small pinch at a time to add heat to stuff here and there.

PigCicles
10-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Bet that will add some zing for sure. Might be good for a spiced up chili too.

Did you see the face in that pepper?

JamesB
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Can't day that I've ever tangled with that pepper, but I like the idea of powderizing 'em for later use.

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Bet that will add some zing for sure. Might be good for a spiced up chili too.

Did you see the face in that pepper?
Not till you mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure it's the devil though!:D

Can't day that I've ever tangled with that pepper, but I like the idea of powderizing 'em for later use.

They claim that they are about 5 times as hot as a habanero. Based on what I've seen, they legitimately are. i would caution anybody that wants to powder them to make sure the dust in the spice mill has settle before they open it.:oops:

JamesB
10-08-2008, 09:14 PM
i would caution anybody that wants to powder them to make sure the dust in the spice mill has settle before they open it.:oops:Wowser 5x hotter than a hab? Well I'm sure all of the precations apply then....

Let the dust settle before opening mill...
Where gloves when dealing with...
Don't pick yer nose...
Don't go potty or get frisky with the wife until hands are thoroughly cleaned etc...

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Here's a link (http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/071026-hottest-pepper.html)

chef schwantz
10-09-2008, 01:02 AM
A little bit of that devil dust might go a long ways on some fried chicken wings.

PigCicles
10-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I'm thinking that you need to come up with a (using chef schwantz's term) Oklahoma Devil Dust Hot Wing recipe. People luv that kind of stuff, myself included.

A while back I stopped into a small local place that serves pizza and hot wings cuz their wings are supposed to be the hottest in the area. They were using an extract and spread 2 drops on each wing. Yup - they were hot! But I made it through :msn-wink: They were a little hotter than I like just for eating. But ODD Hot Wings might be good :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
A little bit of that devil dust might go a long ways on some fried chicken wings.
I think you'd have to mix some into the flour mix. Otherwise it might be hard to spread it evenly.

I always dry my wings realy well and then dust them real lightly befoe I fry them. It's a hassel, but the wing sauces stick on soo much better that way.

I could prolly add a little dust to the flour. I'll have to try that.

I'm thinking that you need to come up with a (using chef schwantz's term) Oklahoma Devil Dust Hot Wing recipe. People luv that kind of stuff, myself included.

A while back I stopped into a small local place that serves pizza and hot wings cuz their wings are supposed to be the hottest in the area. They were using an extract and spread 2 drops on each wing. Yup - they were hot! But I made it through :msn-wink: They were a little hotter than I like just for eating. But ODD Hot Wings might be good :thumbs up:

One new wing recipe coming right up!

chef schwantz
10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
While it will work in the flour, it will really limit what you could apply it to. I use 1 part jalapeno powder mixed with 2 parts lowerys. gives a nice kick to anything you could put lowerys on, which is just about everything.

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I've never been much of a Lowrey's fan, but I do think that it would need someting with a much finer consistency to spread it out evenly. This stuff is measurably 500x hotter than jalapeno. They say they are well over 1,000,000 Scoville units.

chef schwantz
10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I just used lowerys as an example. You could use regular or kosher salt, or whatever seasoning salt you like, the idea is to create a spreadable (shakable) medium for that little bit of powder you want to incorperate. You may even try putting some rock salt in the spice grinder when you grind the peppers.

Geek with Fire
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
OK, so I'll ask the rookie question. What temp in the oven and how long to dry them out?

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 01:56 PM
About 150 and overnight. At 150 it isn't real critical. It is critical to leave the oven door cracked ever so slightly to let the moisture out.

We used to make jerky that way too before we got a dehydrator.

Geek with Fire
10-09-2008, 04:38 PM
About 150 and overnight. At 150 it isn't real critical. It is critical to leave the oven door cracked ever so slightly to let the moisture out.

We used to make jerky that way too before we got a dehydrator.

Gnarly. I've always wanted to make my own paprika, but I'm too cheap to buy a dehydrator. Looks like that would work well. Nice!

chef schwantz
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
For that matter, throw a few in the smoker, like jalapenos/chipotles. Just son't get too close to the vent.

SmokyOkie
10-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Gnarly. I've always wanted to make my own paprika, but I'm too cheap to buy a dehydrator. Looks like that would work well. Nice!

I've never seen paprika pepper plants or fresh pepeprs for sale Josh. What kind of pepper would you use and where do you get them?

For that matter, throw a few in the smoker, like jalapenos/chipotles. Just son't get too close to the vent.

Ddo you like to do them until they're brownish gray and totally roasted? I have a bottle of them all ground up. I keep telling myself to do some that are still moist and packing them in adobo, but I've never gotten around to it.

chef schwantz
10-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I smoke jalapenos until they are dry enough to keep. I keep wanting to try a recipe I saw where you smoke them and put them in oil, but have never gotten around to it. So many options, so little time. I still think you shoud make a pepper salt though, I use mine on evertything.

SmokyOkie
10-10-2008, 09:58 AM
I think this stuff is too hot for that. I use a lot of ground peppers, everything from pasilla to guajilla, chipotle, even bell pepper. but like most other seasonings, I usually prefer to use them separatle as opposed to blends. I only have two or three blends that I use and I use them because for thier particukar flavor profile to be achieved, all ingredients have to in exact proportion.

Willkat98
10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
I've been trying to come up with an effective delivery method for the past two days that will allow me to use this stuff to ward off visits by the inlaws.

Not something simple, like Ninja Powder in the pillow cases, I need something that would be effective in keeping them outside.

Once they're in, its much harder to get them out.

Would love to stop them in their tracks at the door.

yamahog3187
10-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Here is a twist for you on the powder thing. In MD we dip the wings in egg BEFORE we dip in the flour! Put a SMALL bit of your ground peppers in the egg! (Been doing it with garlic for years and no one can figure out where the garlic flavor is coming from! It will be below the flour and will not fall of when frying. Just be careful with what you put on top of it as it may cause an explosion!!!!!! :oops:

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
You bread your hot wings?

If you were gonna bread them, I suppose that would be a good sneaky trick. Really though, this stuff is off the scale dangerous hot.

BA_LoKo
10-29-2008, 07:03 PM
You bread your hot wings?

If you were gonna bread them, I suppose that would be a good sneaky trick. Really though, this stuff is off the scale dangerous hot.

You've got me curious now. Save some of that stuff for me. :msn-wink:

(From another thread, I'm also interested in experimenting with your chili powder recipe input. If you have peppers left, let me know.)

SmokyOkie
10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
I got 'em Kev.