PDA

View Full Version : pork loins on the drum

cabinetmaker
10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Spent the day at the new house applying kilz to the walls and ceilings to eradicate 30+ years of cigarette smoke from the previous owner. After much deliberation, I decide to take the drum and do a couple of pork loins. I have only done them on the CG/SFB with pecan sticks till today. The drum was running a steady 225. Forgot about it momentarily, and it had spiked to over 300. I have 8-1" holes in the lid, so I closed half of them, and it came back down. Intake valve was only open about 1/4. I thought I lost them, but they turned out good. Not great, but good. as you can see that half of one is already gone. They were not as moist as usual, but the flavor was still awesome. I usually cook them in a small foil pan, and cover at 140 to 165. This time they went on the rack and got foiled at 150 to 170. Tenderness suffered, but flavor won out.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/vsg914/100_3063.jpg

PigCicles
10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
That looks great! Gotta luv them drums for makin it so easy :thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Good lookin pig meat there Curt.

You can make real juicy Pork loins @ 325-350 for abvout an hour To 145 internal and then a 20 minute rest, so hitting 300 really ain't no worry.

Try the 325 method sometime.

cabinetmaker
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
That looks great! Gotta luv them drums for makin it so easy :thumbs up:
Yeah, I'm not used to not having to stoke the fire.

Good lookin pig meat there Curt.

You can make real juicy Pork loins @ 325-350 for abvout an hour To 145 internal and then a 20 minute rest, so hitting 300 really ain't no worry.

Thanks Tim, I've got 4 more in the freeze. I'l try that next time.

californiasmokin
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
They look pretty good to me Curt!I think sometimes we are over critical of ourselves.
Paul

Jake
10-05-2008, 07:10 PM
giddy up they look good to me, again so many things i want to try, and i got to do something else soon, or you guys will think i can only do ribs.
good job hope you get settled soon and finally get to relax and enjoy, i know how moving sucks and is stressfull. hang in there it will be over soon, i know pip and i are so anal that when we bought this house we had a uhaul truck and the van aleaedy loaded and waiting for us to take posession we got the keys at midnight and thats when we started moving, we brought the kids put them in their new rooms while they slept and josh had to watch over them while we unloaded, being as anal as we are we stay up until everything is put away and in its home, even pictures being hung, needless to say it was a long one but we survived and the next day people came to help and shook their heads at us. i know we are freaks but it works for us.:blushing::ack2::shrug:

peculiarmike
10-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Curt, those tenders look mighty edible to me. As TXSandman Rob said, the drum is the freakin' microwave of smokers. :msn-wink:

TX Sandman
10-08-2008, 09:30 PM
:thumbs up: Mmmm! I can see those in a sandwich somewhere.

Curt, those tenders look mighty edible to me. As TXSandman Rob said, the drum is the freakin' microwave of smokers. :msn-wink:

:saythat:

They look pretty good to me Curt!I think sometimes we are over critical of ourselves.
Paul

I'll admit it: I am.

To me, pork loins and tenderloins tend to dry out if they're smoked. I get better results with higher temps like Okie mentioned. I don't think tenderloins have enough fat to stay moist when cooked much lower than that, but loins might work.

SmokyOkie
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Take either one to 145 at a fairly good pace and they'll be juicy.

Did anybody try the ones we did for people's choice @Ponca? Curt? Jeremy? They were plenty juicy.