PDA

View Full Version : Apple Butter

peculiarmike
10-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Next weekend (Oct. 10-11) we are doing our annual apple butter cook. I start the fire at O-Dark 30 and we cook ALL day, generally don't get finished until 9-10 PM. The apple butter has to be stirred continuosly so it doesn't burn or stick. Expect about 25-30 folks. We will cook 14 bushels of Jonathan apples in our 30 gallon copper kettle. I had a coppersmith in W. VA make the kettle for me. Last year we got 133 pints before we ran out of jars and had to go to quarts to finish canning.
It's a good time and I will smoke up some good eats. Everyone brings sides.
Since this is live fire cooking at it's best I will post a bunch of pics. Some pics from past cooks.

PigCicles
10-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Hope I can make it. Best wishes for a perfect cook if I can't. :thumbs up:

Keep that pot moving :stir:

Bassman
10-04-2008, 07:17 AM
We made a large batch of apple butter several years ago. Couldn't even begin to eat it all, so we started giving it to friends and relatives. I don't think even one empty jar got returned, so we don't bother to make it anymore. We just don't use it enough to justify making it anymore. I would take a jar of yours though:drooling:

cabinetmaker
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Mom made it every year when I was a youngster. Haven't had homemade apple butter in many years.

Would gladly pay shipping for a few jars.

SmokyOkie
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Mike's is the only apple butter I've ever had that I liked, and I like it a lot.:thumbs up:

Too much going on next weekend to make it up Mike. We gotta do a couple practice runs on the new smoker before the next comp.

Maybe next year.

peculiarmike
10-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, it's done! 197 pints of the absolute best home made apple butter!
We cooked 12 bushels of Braeburn apples that were just delicious straight off the tree. Super sweet! Nice day, temp. 82.
Who says a watched pot never boils?
My sister Saundra brought her witch's costume for fun. To her left are myself (overalls) and my cousin John.

RECIPE -
30 gal. custom made copper kettle
Home made ash stirrer
6' X 3' X 1.5' pile Osage Orange splits
12 bu. apples
75 lbs. sugar
10 gal. water
1 oz. pure oil of cinnamon
15 hours of constant stirring
30 family & friends + 4 dogs
3 hickory smoked butts/pulled pork
8 hickory smoked fattys/fatty breakfast burritos
Big ol' pot venison chili
2 hickory smoked chubs & 2 rings smoked bologna & cheese for snacks
Various sides provided by helpers
"Something cool to drink"

PigCicles
10-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Looks like a super time Mike. Who's that fella in the overalls that has cat fur on his face???:roflmaoha0:

Sorry I didn't make it again this year

Jake
10-12-2008, 10:02 PM
[quote=peculiarmike;16418]Next weekend (Oct. 10-11) we are doing our annual apple butter cook. I start the fire at O-Dark 30 and we cook ALL day, generally don't get finished until 9-10 PM. The apple butter has to be
what the heck time is that??? the crack of dawn?? bad enough pip tells time in limey, at times and i dont know what the heck shes saying either.

good thing there is so many people there to help stir if you cant let it stick etc, othr wise someones arm is gonna hurt. :msn-wink:

loks like a good time had by all, i have never tryed apple butter, and i want to say whats it taste like, but i dont want to hear apples back, so guess i should just by a thing of it.
costume was classic for the event. :msn-wink:

peculiarmike
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
[quote=peculiarmike;16418] I start the fire at O-Dark 30 and we cook ALL day, generally don't get finished until 9-10 PM. The apple butter has to be
what the heck time is that??? the crack of dawn?? bad enough pip tells time in limey, at times and i dont know what the heck shes saying either.

good thing there is so many people there to help stir if you cant let it stick etc, othr wise someones arm is gonna hurt. :msn-wink:

loks like a good time had by all, i have never tryed apple butter, and i want to say whats it taste like, but i dont want to hear apples back, so guess i should just by a thing of it.
costume was classic for the event. :msn-wink:

In this case it was 2:38 AM when I nimbly jumped out of bed. Had the fire lit and kettle on by 0300. Help arrived 0415. :ack2:
Nope, not apples. We need to talk. Shoot me a PM.

PigCicles
10-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Sleepy head! Why'd you sleep so late :roflmaoha0:???

Chargrilled
10-13-2008, 09:02 AM
What a kick arse time that had to be, I can only imagine!!!!:msn-wink:

You would for sure need to get others involved in that process. OK so how the heck did ya do it? Now you have a simmered pot of apple butter what is the process after that? Getting it down to quart jars, wait for it to cool??? And how are you cleaning that kettle afterwards, that thing was lookin pretty when ya started!!!!

Just some questions, thanks Mike, wish we were there!!!

SmokyOkie
10-13-2008, 09:40 AM
For those that aren't familiar, Mike is not exaggerating when he says that their apple butter is the best in the world. I don't even like apple butter, but theirs is to die for.

Jake, I was going to tell you that 0 dark thorty is about 12 hours before beer thirty.

Sorry we missed it this year Mike, just too much going on right now. We'll try to change that next year.

Do you have to peel the apples, or does the skin just cook down? If you do peel them, does everybody pitch in and peel by hand, or do you have some apple peelers?

peculiarmike
10-13-2008, 10:09 AM
We try to avoid quarts, use only pints and a few half pints. Jar it up boiling hot straight out of the kettle, apply flats & rings, turn upside down and wait for it to seal.
We scrub the kettle as soon as it is empy, while still over the fire. Run some water in it and use a scrubber pad. It cleans up nice inside, we don't worry about the outside.
When we were kids and making apple butter at our grandparents farm my grandmother cleaned the kettle with vinegar and corn cobs. The acid shined up the copper and the cobs were just right for scrubbing, not too soft and not too abrasive.
Them was the days.

What a kick arse time that had to be, I can only imagine!!!!:msn-wink:

You would for sure need to get others involved in that process. OK so how the heck did ya do it? Now you have a simmered pot of apple butter what is the process after that? Getting it down to quart jars, wait for it to cool??? And how are you cleaning that kettle afterwards, that thing was lookin pretty when ya started!!!!

Just some questions, thanks Mike, wish we were there!!!

peculiarmike
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
We peel apples the evening before we cook. Usually have 8-10 folks come by and help. They got venison chili and hot dogs before the big peel. Jane supplies bloody marys and cold beer during the peel. We use the hand cranked peelers that peel, core and spiral slice the apple in one operation. Then cut the sliced apple into 5-6 sections that gives nice size pieces. Also have to look them over for seeds and areas of skin the peelers sometimes miss. We put the sliced apples in 5 gal. buckets until next morning. Takes about 3-4 hours to peel 12 bushels. Requires a big sheet of plastic on the garage floor so it does not get sticky and plastic covered tables. We have graduated to two tables and more help.
And yep, some of the boxes say "Peaches" cause that's what the orchard had available to put the apples in.

For those that aren't familiar, Mike is not exaggerating when he says that their apple butter is the best in the world. I don't even like apple butter, but theirs is to die for.

Jake, I was going to tell you that 0 dark thorty is about 12 hours before beer thirty.

Sorry we missed it this year Mike, just too much going on right now. We'll try to change that next year.

Do you have to peel the apples, or does the skin just cook down? If you do peel them, does everybody pitch in and peel by hand, or do you have some apple peelers?

SmokyOkie
10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Man that sure is a nice lookin' Honda in the one shot.:roflmaoha0:

PigCicles
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0: How rude! :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

Chargrilled
10-13-2008, 11:38 AM
That is what makes it so nice, gets everyone together. We are starting to miss those times in this country (IMO) ya know. Folks are not having events like yours Mike that get folks together.

I know it is impossible for everyone to show everytime, but gathering together like that for something like making some apple butter really does good for the soul ya know. Not to mention making more friends etc.

Rant off

Jake
10-13-2008, 01:34 PM

see i understand it now, just had to talk in beer time

When we were kids and making apple butter at our grandparents farm my grandmother cleaned the kettle with vinegar and corn cobs. The acid shined up the copper and the cobs were just right for scrubbing, not too soft and not too abrasive.
Them was the days.[/quote]
:wow: if live was only like that these days

[quote=Chargrilled;17167]That is what makes it so nice, gets everyone together. We are starting to miss those times in this country (IMO) ya know. Folks are not having events like yours Mike that get folks together.

I know it is impossible for everyone to show everytime, but gathering together like that for something like making some apple butter really does good for the soul ya know. Not to mention making more friends etc.

to bad the world has got so much chit going on now a days, and everyone is so uptight and suspicous of everyone, :shrug: :twocents:

SmokyOkie
10-13-2008, 03:01 PM
That is what makes it so nice, gets everyone together. We are starting to miss those times in this country (IMO) ya know. Folks are not having events like yours Mike that get folks together.

Rant off

:whathesaid:Yeah, folks just don't seem to see the value in social interaction anymore. That's why they'd rather text eachother instead of calling and talking and why they would rather go thru the self check out line instead of interacting with a cashier

Fatback Joe
10-13-2008, 03:18 PM
instead of interacting with a cashier

It really depends on what she looks like. :msn-wink:

SmokyOkie
10-13-2008, 03:56 PM
It really depends on what she looks like. :msn-wink:

Somehow I was expecting something like that. I don't know why though.......Maybe your cynical nature has something to do with it.

peculiarmike
10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
You KNOW that ain't right. What you are looking at is built in the USA by Mericuns.

Man that sure is a nice lookin' Honda in the one shot.:roflmaoha0:

SmokyOkie
10-14-2008, 12:07 PM
You mean Hondas aren't? :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
10-14-2008, 09:01 PM
That's not a car.
They do assemble their cars here, just like GM, Ford & Chrysler. None are MADE here.
Harleys are MADE here.

SmokyOkie
10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
It's always fun to poke through the bars of a Harley owners cage.:msn-wink:

peculiarmike
10-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I LIKE my Harley. It is a personal friend.
Last hand thru the bars was drawn back as a stub. :essen: :roflmaoha0:
Tasty with apple butter on it.

SmokyOkie
10-15-2008, 10:30 AM
:roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0::r oflmaoha0:

Jake
10-15-2008, 07:36 PM
scary on how many passion we can have and still be sain :shrug:
or are we :roflmaoha0::roflmaoha0:

peculiarmike
10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Remember: Everyone seems normal until you get to know them. :bandit: