PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon - Large Big Green Egg

Willkat98
01-15-2008, 03:23 PM
At some point in the near future, I hope to add a large BGE to my patio toys.

I'll be sure to chime in with my accomplishments, more importantly, my disasters, so we can all take the ride together.

I found a local distributor, but he is out of Larges at the moment.

Wife keeps asking "Who the heck is 'Hot Tub Tony', and why is he always sending you emails?"

(Lots of times, BGE dealers are affiliated with pool & patio places)

SmokyOkie
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Just tell her not to worry unless you start getting emails from Hot Tub Tonya.:D

Tim

tonto1117
01-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Just picked up our new BGE last week. Planning on firing her up this weekend. Will post pics of the result's.

SmokyOkie
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Let's see some pix of her!

Tim

tonto1117
01-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Here ya go.....she's jammed in the garage right now, which I'm sure you can see needs some spring cleaning:rolleyes:But like I said her Maiden voyage will be this weekend:)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6169/1000877nc3.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9962/1000878yo6.jpg

TX Sandman
01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Can't wait to see her in action. Is that cart homemade, or did you get it as an option?;)

As for your garage, you wouldn't want to see mine. That looks positively sterile compared to mine.:o

tonto1117
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Rob. The cart was an option that you can buy from Big Green Egg dealers. This is the small one ....there are a variety of sizes. Also, if you have woodworking skills and the equipment, it seems straight foward enough to make your own and probably save some bucks. Ours came as a package that we bought from a friend who won it at a BBQ contest last year.

If you think my garage looks clean to you, Im'a kinda scared to see yours..:eek::D

BTW...I love your signiture!! It is somthing I say to myself before every comp to try to relax.;)

TX Sandman
01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Believe me, I'm *very* "kinda scared" with mine.

BTW...I love your signiture!! It is somthing I say to myself before every comp to try to relax.;)

That sig actually came from an email Steven sent me. Long story short, I used to stress out whenever I cooked, which ruined my mood and peeved the family. When I finally got it through my head that screw-ups happen, I emailed Steven and he wrote back, saying "Sounds like you finally got the right attitude, namely that grilling . . . ."

Ever since then, it's been my sig and my mantra. And so far, my cooking hasn't killed anyone yet.;)

SmokyOkie
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
I've never had a screw up I couldn't eat.

Bud's BBQ
01-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Sounds so "Will Rogersesque"!!!

So glad to be 'talking' again with real enthusiasts, thanks, man.

peculiarmike
01-16-2008, 07:27 PM
EVERYTHING the Okie cooks is "a little overdone". Voice of experience, having had a bit of his cooking, and been around while he was cooking it. He always says "I think it's kinda overdone". Never had anything of his that was not superb.

peculiarmike
01-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Nice toy Theresa! Gonna lash it to the Lang and take it along for comps? :D

PigCicles
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Bud N Tonto can't wait to see that BGE in action. Bet she puts out some Eggselant food. Shoot you even got the portable love seat sitting right there to watch that puppy go.

TX Sandman
01-16-2008, 10:32 PM

:o I'm not too proud to admit I've had a few.

Kew_el_steve
01-17-2008, 05:16 AM
I lust for an egg too. Seems like the most versitile, albeit expensive, solution for a patio toy. Bet that garlic bread recipe on another thread would come out great on it!!!

Willkat98
01-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I like the fact that you can also do much higher temp cooking on it, and see people making pizza as well as baking bread on it.

I agree with Steve and think that Sandman Garlic Bread would rock on the Egg

ultramag
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM

Well, I reckon once you get used to eating everything cooked too long you don't even notice it anymore. :D

EVERYTHING the Okie cooks is "a little overdone". Voice of experience, having had a bit of his cooking, and been around while he was cooking it. He always says "I think it's kinda overdone". Never had anything of his that was not superb.

In all honesty, what Mike said. That Okie can cook.

peculiarmike
01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I like the fact that you can also do much higher temp cooking on it, and see people making pizza as well as baking bread on it.

I agree with Steve and think that Sandman Garlic Bread would rock on the Egg

Bill,
I would LOVE to have an egg, but sorta choke on the price! Being a poor hillbilly on fixed income and all. :cool:
Those drums will run some high temps. Mine zipped right up to 450 and would have continued rising had I not caught it and capped the air holes. I am looking for a large pizza stone to use in my drum. Bread might be better tried in the egg.

Willkat98
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Status Update:

Still looking!!!

Been offered a few deals on the XL, but I'm holding out for the Large.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2008, 02:43 PM
For the money, why not just go to the local fireplace supply store, buy some refractory cement, slather it all over the inside og an old Weber and call it a big black egg?:shrug:

Also, I've done both bread and pizza on a Weber, and Mike, you can do it w/o a stone. You just have to move fast.

SmokyOkie
02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Bill,
450°

OK, gotta know where on the keyboard the degree sign is. And what's w/ the A w/ the Chinaman's hat on it?

Willkat98
02-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I think he's using the ALT + 4 digits

<-- that was an ALT 0229

ƒ <-- ALT 0131

PigCicles
02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Alt 03258 =

Alt 0176 =

Or use the Character Map - Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

Hold the Alt key down while typing the numbers. Use the number pad on the right, the numbers at the top don't work for this. Laptop users have a whole different set of rules.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 11:10 AM
450. Hey, it works!!!! :chickn4: And now, how do you make the little squiggle over the n in jalapeno? Does it take a Mexican keyboard?

Willkat98
02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
And now, how do you make the little squiggle over the n in jalapeno? Does it take a Mexican keyboard?

Its in the character map too.

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 11:40 AM
What's a character map and how do you work it?

Willkat98
02-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Or use the Character Map - Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map

Hold the Alt key down while typing the numbers. Use the number pad on the right, the numbers at the top don't work for this. Laptop users have a whole different set of rules.

Or in the character map, highlight the character you want, hit the copy button, then go to your post, right click paste where you want the character(s) to appear

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Sure do wish I was smart like you guys.:blushing:

Willkat98
02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm not smart, unless you mean smart-ă

SmokyOkie
02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm not smart, unless you mean smart-ă

Your work load must've lightened up or something. Your back to being the same old comical smart A!@.

Kew_el_steve
02-23-2008, 01:34 AM
450*
a55

got it

:uglyhammer:

PigCicles
02-23-2008, 01:38 AM
Sure do wish I was smart like you guys.:blushing:

I wish you wuz too... :monkey::saythat: :roflmaoha0:

tonto1117
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Learn somthing new everyday...thanks Bill.:sign0092:

Been to darn snowy and cold to roll the egg out and use it. When spring comes(if it ever does) gonna make a home for her on the upper deck off the kitchen...just a mess out there now!!

peculiarmike
02-25-2008, 09:06 AM
I have NO earthly idea where the "A with a Chinaman's hat" came from. But I know FAT fingers were involved. :shrug:

And I use Alt 0176 for the degree sign.

peculiarmike
02-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Learn somthing new everyday...thanks Bill.:sign0092:

Been to darn snowy and cold to roll the egg out and use it. When spring comes(if it ever does) gonna make a home for her on the upper deck off the kitchen...just a mess out there now!!

Extend your shelter roof a bit and the egg is home!

Pork N Stein
04-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Keep an eye on Craigslist, I see used Eggs come up in our area from time to time on there, sometimes you can save some serious $$ over buying new, and they're mighty hard to wear out!

I've got a large myself and barring a major accident, I should be able to hand it down to my kids.

Willkat98
04-10-2008, 09:55 PM
I am sorry for starting this thread.

Not sorry for the great info, and great back and forth, but because I have come up short, again.

I have not contributed nowhere near what I wanted to here, and this thread is a prime example.

I was on a Large Egg hunt.

I had it all worked out. I researched the Eggcessories.

Then this forum started, and I thought, what a marriage that would make. Me on an Egg odyssey, bringing you all along for the ride. Even petitioned the owners/originals to include a "ceramic" section for my exploits.

And then.....

It happened.....

Wait for it.....

Its coming....

Here it comes................

Zip.

I let you down.

I let me down.

And my dream which became reality, turned into dust before my eyes.

I'm not getting no Egg.

Life imploded in the past 3 months. Not just a market downturn, but everything is going South.

My dog developed a limp 2 months ago. Been watching it, with Vet care, and today, $2,200 to $3,100 Crucia Ligament operation needed.

But hey, today is Thursday.

On Monday, my wife lost her job of 9 years.

Rains/Pours.

But the internet has brought me so many friends on a variety of forums, but Tonto and Walt that I have crossed paths with here and on other BBQ forums take the cake.

True friends in Q, for sure.

Another blogger/bbq friend is cmcadams, who may not be here yet, but has been a true friend.

I have overlapping friends I am blessed with: BBQ forums like this one, Blogs on BBQ and food, and beleive it or not, Gaming on the XBox 360. I have a community there of people I met on places like this. Nothing like low and slow at 2am while kicking alien arse!!

But I digress.

Main point: Love posting here, sorry I've been busy, and now my Egg is out of the question.

A question for you older "Q"'er's?

Do you every really afford it?

I'm scratching to make it without even lighting a fire.

Thanks for listening,

Sorry to be a babbling farker...

PigCicles
04-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Bill you have nothing to appologize for. Life happens to everyone everyday. Some slumps are deeper than others. As long as you have the internet you have a place to go and friends to share with. You're one who has a great passion for the good stuff and we love your input.

As for affording it... who really knows. I figure I gotta eat about once a day most days. So if I have the time to cook outdoors I'm gonna do it. I don't have a lot of hobbies so I can justify the price I spend on my cooking.

It's all good buster ... getting better every day. :msn-wink:

TX Sandman
04-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I said this in a PM, but I'll repeat it here.

Bill, you're a friend, and have nothing to apologize for. Stuff happens. Just work on getting through it and taking care of your family. They're going through it, too.

As for affording it, I'm not a good one to ask. The last grills I bought were 20 years ago. The current ones were gifts or salvage. Kinda like you, every time I think I can get a new one, something happens.

SmokyOkie
04-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Apologize? I don't think so. No apology needed.

Sorry about the egg deal, but life isn't over yet, and if you really want one, you will eventually get one.

Your contributions to this forum have been myriad, and we'd all selfishly like to see more.

A couple pieces of wisdom I'd like to share with you that hopefully may help you through your present crisis.

First, when ugly things occur, we all have a tendency to focus on only the ugly instead of the beautiful. Example, a pretty teenage girl gets a big zit on her forehead...all she sees is the zit. All the boys that she's so concerned with only see her good looks and hardly notice the zit.

You have a wonderful family, from the sound of it, a nice place to live, more friends than you can count, and a whole host of other blessings. If you focus on all that, all the rest will take care of itself.

As to your wife's temporary unemployment, I would like to point out that almost everyone I've known that has lost a job has ended up with a new one that they like better and that pays more. When one gets ingrained at one place of employment for a long time, they have a tendency not to shop around for new and better ones. Losing a job forces us to do this, and right now is definitely an employee's job market, much more so than 9 years ago.

Hang in there buddy, everybody's pullin' for ya. that and we need to get your spirits up so that we can appoint you the official site jester.

:sign0092:for all

Florida Bill
04-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Chicago Bill,
I can identify. My dog found a cotton mouth back in October (on our paito). The snake struck her on the forehead and she died three days and about $2500 later. I killed the snake so it was a total loss all the way around. Dogs have a way of becoming a part of the family after a while ... mine was 13 years old. Great pet. Anyway, please continue posting. I've enjoyed your posts on this as well as other forums. You seem to be very knowledgeable and willing to share your experiences with others. Another post had it right. All slumps aren't the same but they are none the less just that .... a slump. So, concentrate on the positive and all the other will take care of itself in time. And by the way, I wouldn't be surprised if a large green egg didn't find it's way to your house in the not so distant future.
Hang in there Bill.

Short One
04-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Bill, no problems with being preoccupied and not posting as much as you feel you should. Been there, done that. As others have said, things will work out. Lost my job of 25 years about 3 1/2 yrs. ago and went in to a slump. Fretted and worried around, wondering what was going to happen, and bang.
Got a phone call about 5 weeks after being laid off and went to work 3 blocks from the house, a little less money, but wasn't spending 2 hrs. on the road and 100 miles a day. With gas prices the way they are, I am way better off and enjoy my job much more. The family I now work for are great and if I have and emergency come up, they are very understanding. Family comes first then work. Wasn't like that in the factory.
Keep your chin up and thing will work out for you and your wife I am sure. By-the-way things aren't alway greener on the other side of the fence. Believe me, I've been there. Steve

Willkat98
04-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Guys!

Just finished my 1040!

I owe an additional $3,200!!!!

What an awesome week!!!

ARGH!!!!

Willkat98
04-12-2008, 07:18 PM
. My dog found a cotton mouth back in October (on our paito). The snake struck her on the forehead and she died three days

Wow, sorry to hear that Brother

. And by the way, I wouldn't be surprised if a large green egg didn't find it's way to your house in the not so distant future.

I just PM'ed you my address.

Thanks, you guys rock!!!

Willkat98
04-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Keep your chin up and thing will work out for you and your wife I am sure. By-the-way things aren't alway greener on the other side of the fence. Believe me, I've been there. Steve

I don't want to over simplify, because we are VERY fortunate.

Wife not even looking for work until September.

There is an outside chance that she might not even try for full time for 3 years or so, until the youngest is in high school.

I am big on getting by with the mother of my kid home as much as humanly possible.

I make a decent wage, and we should get by, but we'll see. Just gotta cut out some of the extras I guess.

TX Sandman
04-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't want to over simplify, because we are VERY fortunate.

*That's* my boy!

You'll make it. This is a setback, not the end of the game.

Willkat98
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
*That's* my boy!

You'll make it. This is a setback, not the end of the game.

But just to be clear,

I still will accept the BGE from Florida Bill

:msn-wink:

Florida Bill
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey Bill,
You may have read more into my post than what I meant. Anyway, if I had an extra 600 to 700 bucks laying around with absolutely nothing to do with it, it would indeed be interesting to see one of those things show up in your mail box. I predict there would be a heart attack. Anyway, things do tend to work out ..... and usually for the best. So hang in there bro.

SmokyOkie
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks Guys!

Just finished my 1040!

I owe an additional $3,200!!!!

What an awesome week!!!

ARGH!!!!

"05-5K
'06-4K
'07-4.5K

The bad part is that being a business owner, not only do I have to pay the money, but I have to up my w/h or quarterly estimates by the same amount, so in effect, if I end up owing 5K, my net income reduction for the year is 10K. Add up the last 3 years, and its not a pretty picture. Where are the Bush tax cuts?

On the light side, I gues it means I'm rich, cuz as we all know, they tax the rich more heavily:shrug::willy_nilly:

Best advice is to quit your job, go on welfare and food stamps, pay no taxes yet get a 5K refund.:wow::thumbs up:

SmokyOkie
04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey Bill,
You may have read more into my post than what I meant. Anyway, if I had an extra 600 to 700 bucks laying around with absolutely nothing to do with it, it would indeed be interesting to see one of those things show up in your mail box. I predict there would be a heart attack. Anyway, things do tend to work out ..... and usually for the best. So hang in there bro.

Bill,
I'm sure Willkat is just playin around, its good to see his spirits up, but I don;t thinnk $600 or$700 would touch the cooker he's wanting, at least not new.

Your a good and thoughtful man though.