PDA

View Full Version : Graduation smoke from May

ajthepoolman
09-19-2008, 12:00 AM
I have been meaning to post these since May, but never found time. Plus, I have grown to like this forum a bit more than one I used to frequent, so I will take up your server space!

This smoke was for 75 people for my wife's graduation from nursing school. If memory serves, we made 40 pounds of pulled pork, 25 pounds of sliced brisket, 3 racks of spares, two chickens, hot dogs, Dutch's Wicked Baked Beans, my own Corn Dish Bliss and all the regular fixins you would expect at a BBQ.

You can see my dining room table layed out with all the ingredients I used. The briskets aren't in the shot becuase those were at a friends house. There wasn't any way I could smoke those with the pork and chicken, so I had to lean on him to do them for me. All I had at the time was my electric Brinkmann.

I started with the pork since I knew those would take the longest. Eventually the chicken went on. The beans I put on my Ducane grill. I just put a pan of chips on the burner and just lit one side. I wasn't going for high heat, so they cooked low and slow with nice smoke on the warming rack. The pan weighed so much that it actually bent the rack to the point that it won't fit in the grill hood anymore! Oh well, small price to pay.

The comments from people were very satisfying for me. People told me that I should open a BBQ joint! I have to admit that I had a lot of fun babysitting the smoker all night. Everything went together really well.

The last pic is my wife and I enjoying the fruits of my 2 days of labor, and her 5 years of labor! She is now a proud nurse and I am a proud husband. Takes a lot of guts to go back to school, but she handled it like a champ.

PigCicles
09-19-2008, 12:07 AM
75 of your closest friends for a small celebration and just barely enough food to go around :thumbs up: Super Duper deal that the wife was able to get back to school and finish. Great looking pics :drooling: and congrats to the wife on her graduation. Now if you can get her to go on and become a Dr. maybe you can retire and run the smoker full time :msn-wink:

TX Sandman
09-19-2008, 12:27 AM
:cheer: Congrats to the wife, AJ, she sure deserves it! So do you for providing the support she needed.

Great job on the Grad dinner, and great pics, too. :thumbs up:

ajthepoolman
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
I did learn that even with all that food, it wasn't enough. My grandmother had passed away that weekend, and so half of the family wasn't able to make it to the dinner because they were at the funeral home planning the burial and such. Had they been there at lunch time, we would of definitely ran out of food. Pretty amazing how quickly that much food disappears.