PDA

View Full Version : need help curing ham

salmonclubber
09-07-2008, 09:09 PM
hello everyone

i need help curing hams today i butchered two hogs and did four hams using the morton tenderquick method i injected the atery and stitch pumped the hams and rubbed the outside with dry tenderquick the book says that the hams should cure for 30 days this seems like a long time in cure i understand that they are 25 pound hams and are large hunks of meat for the cure to happen there there must be a quicker way
is there a better way to cure ham not really better but quicker way to get the same resault i have 3 more hogs to cut up and dont have enough storage for 6 more large hams for a month
thank you for your help i will keep you posted i also did bacon both side and buckboard bacons i will post pics when i get them ready for the smoker

Huey

SmokyOkie
09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Check this out Huey. They talk 8-10 days

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html

It looks like a pretty good no nonsense tutorial.

Shoot us some pix if you get a chance.

BTW, being the Salmonclubber, do yu know anything about a sockeye product known as 'Squaw Candy'?

salmonclubber
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM
smokyokie

i know of the squaw candy i have a few recipes around have never ate it i dont like sweet tasting fish i will get the recipe and send it to you thanks for the info on the hams i will check it out i hope my ham turns out and does not spoil i guess i wont know for 30 days right lol take care

SmokyOkie
09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
I had some that came from the Rainbow Lodge in Alaska and it was the perfect balance of fish, smoke, and sweet. It was totally addictive.